Beretta Silver Pigeon, Plating Flaking Off

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1 year old Beretta SP1 having only fired 350 carts has the plating flaking off the receiver.

(First off sorry to anybody who is on Pigeon Watch and has seen this, I'm trying to find as many people as possible who have the fault or who can give advice)

Yes I know that this section will show signs of wear, and by wear I mean rubbing marks like smoothed shinny streaks to the metal but as yet nobody has been able to say that I should expect plating to flake off and nobody has been able to tell me that the rest of the plating will be fine.

It might be easier to follow this link to the other forum and read what I've already put up.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/258935-beretta-sp1-fallin-to-bits/ 

At first GMK said they can sort it, now they want to remove the plating from both knuckles with no assurances that this will sort the fault for good.  They then told me it is my fault but they can send it to Italy for 6-9 months to get re-plated.

They told me it was because of no Lube or debris in the joint and after I rubbished both of these scenarios they haven't gotten back to me although it has only been 1 day so far,

I think I have found 2 other people who have a similar issue, one of which has fired less than 100 carts.

As it stands at the moment I believe the damage has been caused because the plating is stupidly thin in this area, the rubbing between the fore end and receiver has crushed the plating and caused it to lift off the base metal, I fear it will only get worse over time and possibly effect the engraved sides.

Any advice, comments or others with a similar problem would be much appreciated as GMK have not been much help as of yet and I don't want to lose my gun for 6-9 months.

I had a Teknys semi from new that developed severe plate peel problems after a year or so, it got sent to Italy and came back all done FOC.

Is this a wind up? That picture is dated 1st January 2003 !!!! Makes this one year old gun more than 10 years old?? Hope you get it sorted out don't hold your breath about anybody in GB or Italy being in the least bit concerned they have your cash now!

They are also dealing with

I would state not fit for purpose and demand a replacement gun,
Thanks for this, it gives some more credibility to my stance that the plating is not of good enough quality.

I found 2 other threads on forums with similar faults to this other thread you posted, it might be of help to his case that it has happened to others.

Can you forward these links to the other guy as it might be of some use.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=364702   Click the photo bucket link in the top post for the pic.

Scroll a fair bit down for the pics on this one, it is a funny looking forum,

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?Threadid=317243&SortBy=DESC&ShowDeleted=No

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a wind up? That picture is dated 1st January 2003 !!!! Makes this one year old gun more than 10 years old?? Hope you get it sorted out don't hold your breath about anybody in GB or Italy being in the least bit concerned they have your cash now!
My stupid old......very old camera resets when battery goes flat.

I had a Teknys semi from new that developed severe plate peel problems after a year or so, it got sent to Italy and came back all done FOC.
I'm not sure I want it re-plated given how thin I now know the plating to be...

And 6-9 months is an utter feckin' joke!

You can never have to many guns ....and as Mr Kipling says.........

If GMK don't want to play ball a small claims action should make them wake up.  Even if they want to send it away for 6-9 months that is unacceptable.  They need to provide a repair or replacement in a timely manner.

On my other forum another person has posted up pics of his 3 month/60 cart old SP1 that has plating flaking off in the exact same way as mine only his is on his fore end at the knuckle location.  There is no way they can blame me for it now.

It seems to be an un-documented feature of the thin crappy plating(my opinion) on the silver pigeons.

I'm not even sure I want a new one from GMK as it is just going to flake off as well.  They have missed every bloody opportunity they had to tell me this is normal/will happen and then assure me no other problems will arise with the plating where it can be seen when the gun is assembled....  Instead they blamed me for the problem.

6-9 months is not acceptable, I'll need to check with trading standards but my understanding is repairs should be made within a reasonable time frame..   9 month is defo not that!

I have no idea what my next course of action will be as after I rubbished their accusation that it was caused by me they haven't gotten back to me.

Latest posts

Back