Barrel crowning

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom b

This is something that is more associated with rifles than shot guns I know, but should the end of the barrels be crowned? Would it make any difference to performance etc? I've never really noticed it on a shotgun or choke before except for mullers.

Would it not make the barrel so thin it would deform at the slightest knock or could produce a stress point at the edge.

Rifle barrels by there very design are much thicker than a tube for shotguns - .410 being the obvious exception

This is something that is more associated with rifles than shot guns I know, but should the end of the barrels be crowned? Would it make any difference to performance etc? I've never really noticed it on a shotgun or choke before except for mullers.
The purpose of Crowning on a rifle, is to ensure that the exit from the Lands are all square to the bore and help direct gasses away from the bullet evenly. Poor crowning can cause gasses to affect the bullet as it leaves the barrel.
There is no such need on a shotgun.

Mullers don't have a crown either.

Last edited by a moderator:
" Mullers don't have a crown either."

Beg to differ Ed won a world championship using them :)

For those on here that don't know what 'crowning' on barrels is (including me) could someone enlighten us please?

DT

For those on here that don't know what 'crowning' on barrels is (including me) could someone enlighten us please?

DT
A picture tells a thousand words......

Rifle shooting "mumbo jumbo". As shotgunners we don't need to know.  :biggrin:   (Unless we have enquiring minds?)

Massively important in a shotgun!  I have mine re-done every few months.  Incredible improvement in performance!  Prolly the only mod that approaches the wad strippers for simple devastating target breaks with any choke.

Massively important in a shotgun! I have mine re-done every few months. Incredible improvement in performance! Prolly the only mod that approaches the wad strippers for simple devastating target breaks with any choke.
Do you get the Porting 're-aligned at the same time?

The video shows one way to do it (the amateur way!).

OK for "the owd twenny two I had lyin round", but not the way a half competent gunsmith would do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back