B.H. and chokes.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why will the other brand remain nameless , we are all interested
My neck is far enough out as it is. It's a nice day today and I want to keep it that way. :good:

In order to test that hypothesis, one would have to factor out as many variables as possible. Having a single (talented) shooter shoot the same cartridges at the same  target over and over again, with different guns (each of the same barrel length) being the only variable. Chokes would obviously matter, so those would have to be set-up as similar as can be as well. Then it's on to see how comprehensively each clay is pulverised...

I surely wouldn't want volunteer for picking up and counting / measuring each piece of every single clay.  Also I wouldn't want to wager on the outcome showing any noticeable differences. That said, the shooter I train with shoots a Krieghoff and he does produce far more dust than I do... but I for one am not in any doubt about the cause 🤫
My impressions are based simply on scoring 100s of thousands of shots and, as I said, there's nothing remotely scientific about it, I just find it mildly interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My neck is far enough out as it is. It's a nice day today and I want to keep it that way. :good:

darn couldnt find a chicken emogi 😉😄

My impressions are based simply on scoring 100s of thousands of shots and, as I said, there's nothing remotely scientific about it, I just find it mildly interesting.

it is interesting , passes the time eh ✌️  (i think thats the peace sign)

There’s a chance for me to win it? Oh, you mean prise.

This is how bored I am. Sorry. 
Ha ,uuummmm No 😮 , just a little illitaret thats all 😄

Last edited:
I’ve managed to drive myself nuts with chokes, mostly because my first gun had extended chokes so I would be inclined to switch them.

My conclusion, it’s mostly about confidence except for close stuff apart from F chokes deteriorate patterns out to ranges that I’d shoot game and that very close clays can escape from ½ choke or more on a more frequent basis than cyl.

3/8ths in the bottom barrel and 3/4trs in the top,  and I change cartridge sizes if anything close. I find that combination works well for everything .

3/8ths 3/8ths Teague  7.5 Superb  for anything out there or edgy 7s 

I have used that combination for shooting  FITASC and Sporting and have yet to find a target that it wouldn't break 

I know what I'm about to ask will possibly have a few different answers.  I am a novice with a beretta 694 who enjoys going to the ground with mates and doing a few rounds of sporting a couple of times  a week, i also want to have a go at a few local club competitions and a few cpsa ones later this year.  I don't want to get muddled up in choke choices as i need to concentrate on all the other aspects first.. what chokes should i put in the gun and then forget about at least for the next coupke of years?

Cheers Jamie 

Personally, if I had two 1/2 chokes I'd bung those in.  Otherwise 1/4 and 1/2.  Either way, just forget about them (apart from cleaning).  In the early days there are so many other things you'd be better of thinking about getting right than whether the choke has cost you a target or not.

Personally, if I had two 1/2 chokes I'd bung those in.  Otherwise 1/4 and 1/2.  Either way, just forget about them (apart from cleaning).  In the early days there are so many other things you'd be better of thinking about getting right than whether the choke has cost you a target or not.
Correct.

1/4 & 1/2 is the best option.

1/2 & 3/4 is the next best and may work better if you are using (slow) fiber cartridges on 35/40 yards plus targets.

I am only suggesting the latter because the 694 is a back bored gun designed to use plastic cartridges and fibres may therefore need a little more choke.

Bebo's comment is right - choose one option and then quickly forget about it - they make so little difference compared to perfecting your mount, feet position etc.

1/2 & 3/4 is the next best and may work better if you are using (slow) fiber cartridges on 35/40 yards plus targets.

I am only suggesting the latter because the 694 is a back bored gun designed to use plastic cartridges and fibres may therefore need a little more choke.
Thoughts on this as I've just stuck with 1/4 and 1/2 since the start and happy to do so but always curious and wondering how true this is, no offence freddy? 

If it works then don't change them. To be clear if it works DO NOT CHANGE THEM.

I would go back to my earlier comment,

A 1/4 choke will provide a suitable pattern and its then a case of whether the clay will fit through any gaps in it - only when you are sure it will is a tighter choke required.

The reason i ended up with 3/8 and 5/8 is because they were a compromise between the two options - 1/4 & 1/2 and 1/2 & 3/4 !!!! - see below.

I am very taken with the 694 - it is a step up from my 686E/682Gold and appears have all the tricks of a DT11 at a much more reasonable cost. Having shot a couple of DT10s I am not a fan of the sight lines created by the wide(r) action. If I do change to a more modern back bored gun I would probably stick with the standard 1/2 & 3/4 chokes for fibres (I use Powerblues and Gamebore EVOs) initially and see how they pattern. For plastic (F3's), probably the 1/4 & 1/2 but again checking them on a pattern plate.

And finally - If you buy aftermarket chokes you need to know the exact bore of your gun and the internal diameter of the relevant choke.

Very few of the chokes I have are exactly right - they are often out by a thou or so - In the case of some Seminoles the 1/2 was 22 thou and the 3/4, 26 thou - 25 thou being 5/8th's.

My 686E is marked 18.3 bore (0.7204 inches) and the 682 Gold 18.4 (0.7244 inches).

I initially took those figures as correct and thus a skeet choke was almost a cylinder in the 682 Gold etc - I always choked up an 1/8th.

When the guns were exactly measured they were 0.720 and 0.721 respectively - The 682 Gold barrels were tighter than marked.

Going back to BH and his comments, in his view the barrels bore is so crucial and he sends his barrels off to Briley for them to measure and spec the correct chokes. Certainly beyond me to do that but I suppose if you are sponsored by them . . .

I'm gonna give my secret away here!  My chokes are 33/64 and 59/64 and the breaks are beyond compare.  There may be some of you tho that are not yet up to that level of precision.  Of course those dimensions only are compatible with 0.72563 bores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back