An Important Point On P.ms.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBERT6500

Matt, I understand perfectly why you don't want a PM service on Shootclay but don't forget people need to talk to others about personal stuff. Such as when they haven't seen each other for a while (real personal stuff). No body else will be interested in seeing that sort of thing cluttering up the forums. Or when they would like to meet outside the Kings Arms on the B33O8 at 10.00am before going on shooting to Barclays Wood. Or giving out their phone number or email address to someone about a coming shoot meeting with them etc.etc. All this type of stuff/information should never be put on a forum as the Animal Rights Trolls and Anti's as well as other baddies/spammers etc are watching all the time and can make a members life absolute hell. It's a major mistake to put this kind of personal stuff up in public...trust me.

I can't find the post now where you mention you were not going to open the P.M service so it may be old, so if you have already looked in to it and changed your mind, then please accept my apologies for bringing it up again. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rob,

We did actually address this issue, yes, originally the plan was to not have a PM system but for the reasons mentioned above it is needed to an extent and keeps conversations in one place despite SMS, Email, Facebook etc.

PM's are enabled for any member who has made 100 posts so you qualify to send PM's however we are still investigating the ability of sub 100 posters being able to reply as per the post in the BugTrak forum.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Cheers,

Jon.

I would like to see PM's being brought in the forum because we don't really want to be putting out phone numbers on the general forum. I am a member of the admin team on a sea fishing site where we had a PM restriction of 50 posts before active but we felt that was unfair so removed it altogether. The use of PM's is a very useful tool and to be honest there are many many occasions when members simply wish to contact another for a host of reasons which clogg the general forum with stuff that is of no interest to most of the members.

Phil

Easily sorted Phil. This is a members only Internet site. Everyone has an email ........so post your email on your profile page........then people can contact you by email where you can then exchange phone numbers, skype contacts etc etc and chat to your hearts content ......not to mention that many of us are on Facebook as well.

I haven't got a problem with PM's - I understand how useful they can be, and of course no-one wants to share phone numbers in an open forum. As Nicola rightly points out - email addresses are available in the profile page of each member and that email address has been validated during the new signup process. Nicola is also 100% correct that those email addresses are hidden from anyone browsing the forum, so ONLY members can see those addresses, this is a 'walled garden of eden :) '

The only issue I have is that in previous forums, they have been used to spread gossip, rumours and to bully members of the site. For that reason, Jon and I discussed how to handle them - and we felt it would be good to put a threshold on allowing people to use them - so that, in effect, members were proving themselves as valued members of the ShootClay community before being allowed that priviledge - it is currently set to 100 posts - but we can adjust if people think it is appropriate.

Happy to hear other points of view - or to run a poll to find a good way of doing this.

The only problem is I may not want other members to see my email on my profile. I don't know everyone on here!

I really don't see what the issue is with PM's if people want them.

If somebody bullies somebody else via PM then they can just forward the issue onto you guys as the administrators then you can just say look we had this problem now we are just shutting it down, end of.

Glen.

Thank you for a quick response on this issue and I accept your point of view but I remain quietly convinced that PM's work extremely well. The site I am involved in has over 3000 members and to my knowledge, we have not had any problems with PM's.

Phil

Being a newby and so tending to read more than post, one gets the feeling I may be a 100 before I reach my 100.

On another forum I use any correspondence is carried out by personal email. That forum is members only.

It seems to work well.

Get posting then Phil :)))))

100 and you get your PM :)

Can't say that I have needed to use mine yet though. :)))

Last edited:
Filled in all my details on the profile, I'm not allowed to email anyone and it won't accept my profile changes. So I won't bother.

Filled in all my details on the profile, I'm not allowed to email anyone and it won't accept my profile changes. So I won't bother.
Hi,

We are sorry to here that, can you please report the issue in the BugTrak forum towards the bottom of the page so we can investigate?

Thanks,

Jon.

Hi All,

As Matt pointed out earlier we are concerned about granting PM's to everyone straight away; however we have taken this on board and have discussed the issue tonight and agreed the following:

Effective immediately any member with 25 posts will be able to send PM's.

The reporting modules are enabled so if anyone receives an inappropriate PM please feel to report it.

Thanks,

Matt & Jon.

Latest posts

Back