Alternative cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't get this fouling business, what exactly is it ? So you look down the barrel and they look blocked  :dontknow:  or do you see piles of plastic shards clinging to the sides ? How do you know it's plastic and not just soot or powder and why the obsessive compulsion to remove all trace of it as soon as you get home or the need to shoot shells that leave the barrel shiny ! 

They clearly don't do any harm as such because if they did you'd be in trouble after the very first shot of the day. 

I really don't get this fouling business, what exactly is it ? So you look down the barrel and they look blocked  :dontknow:  or do you see piles of plastic shards clinging to the sides ? How do you know it's plastic and not just soot or powder and why the obsessive compulsion to remove all trace of it as soon as you get home or the need to shoot shells that leave the barrel shiny ! 

They clearly don't do any harm as such because if they did you'd be in trouble after the very first shot of the day. 
My sentiment exactly Hamid having shot many brands and rarely clean my barrels never found it a problem :prankster:

I just don't like cleaning :wink:

So .....I shoot good shells and keep them in a nice cosey wosey warm gun room.

Sometimes I polish the brass :laugh:

Maybe some that have problems....over oil their barrels :wink:

To a point I have to agree about the fouling and the need to clean a gun properly. I suppose that, in my case, it stems back to the days of using English side by sides. It was hammered into me about the need to keep the barrels of these guns spotless after use, to avoid the dreaded 'pitting' of the metal. English gun barrels were made so thin that any major pitting usually led to holes through the walls or the gun being rendered useless. Even the early Japanese guns could suffer from this problem and I once witnessed a Shadow Indy 'blow up' the barrels whilst in use. The user was thankfully unharmed but we both required a change of under clothing. As cartridges and barrel materials have improved greatly, I suppose there is less requirement for such scrupulous cleaning, but old habits die hard and I always seem to get top price for any guns that I sell.

P.S.

I do NOT oil the barrels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you?

I do when the gun gets wet.

But I clean it off again :wink:

I just love spraying that Clenzoil expanding oil everywhere..!

Last edited:
I was trained to keep guns clean   ( not  soaked in oil )    all moving parts , and barrels spotless shining  clean ,  I don't like plastic wad fouling ,   good condition = good second hand value ,  most people buying cast a eye down the barrel ,  muck etc =  not looked after !

Nic, what is that expanding oil like on skin ???
No idea ...why ? Are you thinking for using it for something else :laugh:

Remember....health and safety at all times...!!

:laugh:

I was trained to keep guns clean   ( not  soaked in oil )    all moving parts , and barrels spotless shining  clean ,  I don't like plastic wad fouling ,   good condition = good second hand value ,  most people buying cast a eye down the barrel ,  muck etc =  not looked after !
Good idea.

Lots of people have no idea what they are looking at down the barrels....gives them a chance when its clean :wink:

To the OP - you could add 24g RC2s to your short list, they're usually about £165- £170 available in 7.5, 8 & 9.5 (Italian sizes).

Used my first Fiocchi at Ian Coley's ground last month, the 28g F Blacks and found them considerably softer on the shoulder than Eley Superbs, more like a 24g load.

On another note I've never figured out why some people find a particular cartridge 'dirty' and other people do not, strange.

For me ...the dirty versus clean is obvious when you look down the barrels.

Example..... Took out the 20 bore to Owls getting ready for game.

Shot some old Maionchi cartridges ....barrels full of crap. Cleaned them out after shooting 2 Mary Arm.

(They had been sat on a concrete floor and forgotten about for donkeys years...)

Example another shooter...who will remain nameless...shooting F-Black......showed me his barrels saying Fiocchi were dirty....and yes they were....I was shocked. I gave him 2 Golden Trap....they cleaned the crap out. It then turned out he kept them in a cold garage attached to the house (all safely stored). Too cold / possibly damper air than you would want. He now keeps them in the warmth of the house. Job sorted.

Know your kit peeps....respect your kit....look after your kit ...if you want the best from it.... Simples :wink:

.....true story.

Last edited:
I really don't get this fouling business, what exactly is it ? So you look down the barrel and they look blocked :dontknow: or do you see piles of plastic shards clinging to the sides ?
If you imagine nice shiny chambers, cones, barrel...then shshoved a white candle in there, then removed it...you would get waxy lines down, your shiny cone...looks like that.

If you imagine nice shiny chambers, cones, barrel...then shshoved a white candle in there, then removed it...you would get waxy lines down, your shiny cone...looks like that.
Exactly like my barrels then. :lol:   :lol:

I reckon with modern barrels and propellants cleaning is not quite so critical unless the gun gets wet. My routine, other than wet days, for what its worth is a quick wipe through with a 'fluffy duster'/visual inspection and a proper clean every now and again depending on how many carts I've put through it. If I'm laying a gun by for a while then it gets thorough clean/lubing and stored either broken or barrel down for a few days then turned butt down.

edited to add

sorry for going off topic thought I was on the cleaning thread :crazy:  . FWIW I reckon storage has to play a huge part in how dirty carts are.

At the moment my prefered carts are 24g Remington (pricey and unobtainable) but find Clever T2 are a good back-up, will be looking at Drago skeet in the new year, wouldn't mind giving Fiochi a go when I can get my hands on some.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me ...the dirty versus clean is obvious when you look down the barrels.

Example..... Took out the 20 bore to Owls getting ready for game.

Shot some old Maionchi cartridges ....barrels full of crap. Cleaned them out after shooting 2 Mary Arm.

(They had been sat on a concrete floor and forgotten about for donkeys years...)

Example another shooter...who will remain nameless...shooting F-Black......showed me his barrels saying Fiocchi were dirty....and yes they were....I was shocked. I gave him 2 Golden Trap....they cleaned the crap out. It then turned out he kept them in a cold garage attached to the house (all safely stored). Too cold / possibly damper air than you would want. He now keeps them in the warmth of the house. Job sorted.

Know your kit peeps....respect your kit....look after your kit ...if you want the best from it.... Simples :wink:

.....true story.
So maybe it's down to the storage temps then, which is probably related to how thoroughly and complete the burn takes place and what gets left behind if the burning isn't 100% due to too low storage temps.

Back