32" v 30"

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVE_B

Hi, Guess this has been covered before!

I currently shoot a 30" Sporter and have been considering a change and thought a move to a similar but longer barrel might be one option. What other than the obvious (2" closer to target) would be the key differences?

It varies from gun to gun, often it can be a difference in balance, feel or sight picture. I use both 30 and 32, I can miss equally well with both/either.

I agree with Les. I had never shot with 32" barrels until this year but now I have made the change I've never looked back. There are so many variables though that it's worth trying different guns. Don't ever assume anything,I have 2 Brownings both Ultra X's with 32" multichoke barrels, the barrels on my Trap Gun are 180 grams lighter than those on my sporter because they are vector pro barrels which aren't usually fitted to these guns.

It can generally be summed as:

32" guns give a little more stability

the extra 2" aids accuracy (very marginally) and improves patterns (yes this will be contentious but it does)

32" guns are considered to be a little more pointable whereas 30" guns are considered to be faster handling BUT this is a generalisation as some 32" guns can be fast handling.

At the end of the day it comes down to how it feels in YOUR hands when YOU shoot.

Dave_B

Yes, it has been covered before. Have a look through previous posts, you'll find all the answers you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that the new 34's have the 32's beaten like a baby seal.

I can't wait for the 36's, to tell the truth.  That's when we'll see some real game improvements.  When those OT oafs finally tumble to the 34's you know the 36's are in the wings.

I Can Hardly Wait !!!!!!   :hunter:     :hunter:     :hunter:

remember? - some is good, more is better, and too much is never enough?

Charlie

My new gun is a 32in. Going to take it to Southdown tomorrow to try it on their targets. Like the idea of it being a bit steadier than a 30in as I need to be slowed down a bit

I went from 30 to 32 this time last year and went from a butt heavy bretta 30, to a muzzle heavy browning 32. I've never regretted it once, fantastic for long crossers, not quite so good on fast close stuff though, but very good none the less.

The main difference with the 32 is going to be the guy behind the gun and whether he understands what's now going on that wasn't before.

Many move up to 32 with disastrous results but don't give up. Get some lessons asap from a good coach to show you what you now need to know. :spiteful:

I'm with Charlie, bring on 50 inchers and I can poke them skeet birds :D might need a bit of lead in the stock for balance though :laugh:

Thanks all for your comments, lessons are already booked even though the gun is only in the sleepless night stage! It could all fall into place by the weekend or I could stick with my current gun. Fingers crossed for the right outcome - whatever that is.

As others have said weight is a factor, I went from solid ribbed 30 inch barrels to vented 32's and found them lighter and more pointable. Good luck.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

32" no doubt about it . they take some getting used too but well worth the effort.

jasper

Well, once again thanks for the comments. Deal done: I am now the proud owner of a Browning B725 S3 (Black Edition) Sporter 32". Feels and looks great, tomorrow I will see how it shoots.

Well, once again thanks for the comments. Deal done: I am now the proud owner of a Browning B725 S3 (Black Edition) Sporter 32". Feels and looks great, tomorrow I will see how it shoots.
Nice one Dave, if I was going to go 725 the "black" would definitely be my choice too :D

Well! Seems I made the right choice. Shot 2x100 today at different ground with, for me, a very acceptable 65 and 76. Gun seems to be better balanced than my 30" and a lot better controlled when in motion. All in all a good decision so far - looking forward to putting plenty of lead through it as soon as possible. :-D

Well! Seems I made the right choice. Shot 2x100 today at different ground with, for me, a very acceptable 65 and 76. Gun seems to be better balanced than my 30" and a lot better controlled when in motion. All in all a good decision so far - looking forward to putting plenty of lead through it as soon as possible. :-D
Good stuff Dave, I'm sure it's not a backwards step. (Just watch out for 'new gun syndrome', which usually results in an immediate improvement, sometimes followed by a dip. It's well known. I reckon it's caused by paying a lot of attention at first, followed by thinking the gun will do the work during the drop off period)

Point taken, I was pleased that I managed a similar score to usual. Must same I like the feel and balance. For some reason I seem to have more perceived time for each shot and less barrel twitch.

Latest posts

Back