12g v 20g 24g cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure I agree that 20g o/u guns are generally for game, have auto safety and narrow rib. Browning, Miroku, Beretta and CG all make 20g Sporter with manual safety and some with wider ribs and sporting barrels. My original question was really why 24g 20g is worse than 12g if they both have same spread at 30 yds. I chose 24g as this is the max load allowed in some disciplines. I do not know why 20g cartridges cost more but on a shooting day the cost difference per 100 over 12g is negligible when travel, clays and gun depreciation are taken into account. 
My 20 bore is a sporter, 30" tubes, multi choked, adjustable trigger, manual safety, slight palm swell, weighs almost 7.5lb. I would use it to shoot a casual registered, but don't think I'd do a major with it. Patterns wise it is superb and on a parr with a 12 if cartridge and choke are set up right, the problem comes from the handling. The 12 is a lot more stable and repeatable, and easier to control. The 20 can be very quick in the hands and can be a bit wayward if not controlled well. If if want to shoot your best scores possible use a 12, if you want some fun use a 20.

Impossible to know exactly, but from my experiences buying and selling in the manufacturing sector it comes down to a handful of simple things.

Cost of setting up machines. This costs a similar amount if you produce one or one-hundreds-thousand (there are caveats) So if it costs £1,000 to set up, one costs £1,000 each and one-hundred-thousand units  costs 1 pence each.

To a lesser extent the same applies to bulk purchasing of the materials.

The second significant factor is selling on value over selling on price. You can buy new guns for £600, £6,000 or £60,000. There is a similar amount of material in each. The more expensive gun will cost more in material because the maker will pay proportionally more for their smaller volume of material, but the difference won’t be anything like close to 100 times the amount. The luxury gun of course will have a lot of hand finishing work involved, but accounting for the time/labour The £60,000 price ticket  is a lot more to do with brand than actual Cost of Goods Sold.

If you take grade 4 wood and compare to grade 10 for example, grade four may “cost” £2,000 for the finished stock and fore-end, while a grade ten might be three or four times that. Mechanically the same, same amount of effort to to shape, though the latter is more likely to involve more manual skill and the former more automation.
You have totally overlooked building in the manufacturers 'GREED' factor  !

In the early days of the 28gm international rule Perazzi cranked out a competition trap version of the MX20 or maybe it was the MX8-20.  At any rate it was widely ignored being seen I suppose as the answer to question no one asked.  With no discernible advantage it never got any traction.  big surprise - not

Skeet and sporting here have 4-gauge events for some reason but the expense of the smaller gauge carts is prohibitive for many shooters.  For a while I toyed with the idea of shooting the 28ga pigeon events and picked up pretty nice little SKB that tho not cool is a well made gun.  I've never shot it.
got an adjustable trap stock for an MX8-20 if you need one😁

Agreed. It’s getting it the right place that’s the problem 😂
If you shoot often enough and get enough lead in the air, you'll soon see why and where you're going wrong.

Go to a pay and play where you can spend as long as you want on each stand. You can try different things, experiment till it becomes natural. Use it as an unpaid lesson. A skeet stand when quiet is ideal.

If you're stuck on a 50/100 bird shoot and have to move round, then on the easier birds, experiment, try taking them earlier or leave them later. If those before you miss, don't blindly follow, try something different.

If every time out you don't learn anything, you're definitely in the wrong sport.

I know from previous posts you said you travel North sometimes, try the Boar, ideal for practice mid week. Cheap and cheerful and sells ammo. 

Back