10,000 hours....the answer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 10,000 rule...as you all know involves all the part of shooting your practice and competition.....'including' correct preparation, correct training and assessment of performance between rounds, recording of the information etc etc etc  But you all know that and are just being funny :wink:

By the way Pete was calculated to have just done his 10,000 approximately when he won his Gold....and that is because of the intensive work he did in a short time. Not many people can shoot 1500 a day though, so for most it is built up over several years....just saying..!

By far the  mental preparation is the key, 

Part of the training i used to do at archery, was at a blank face, no scores no groups

The method was :-

Stance, is my stance natural and relaxed 

Shoulders  rolled & loose

Arrow  loaded to bow and knocked

Inhilation & exhalation

Pause

Place tab round drawsting, checking nothing obstructing arrow

Inhale

Smoothly draw the bow ,rolling over the shoulder to lock the arm, & coming up to just below  release point, Tab anchored firmly into chin, riser not gripped but open palm and comfortable, release hand fingers in there contact places on throat   - (you need to be an archer to understand this ) 

Pause - mental check,  grip, hand, aim,  wind speed 

This is the critical point    either

Come down,  ( take the tension of the drawstring and let the arrow come forward of the clicker, & relax holding the bow )

Or

Release , in one fluid motion the hand holding the string would let the string roll of the fingers,and the hand would continue rearwards until just behind the ear

The bow would fall away, and be caught by the bowsling,

Exhale   

Once you saw othe arrow hit the boss, you would then  start the process again. 

This would be repeated for at least 3 dozen arrows  every time i practiced

All this did was focus the routine, where the arrows went was immaterial, it was  just to drum in the consistancy & repetition  needed.

Mart

Who is/ was your coach.

Good point about building a good pre shot routine so you have confidence in your pre shot set up.

Something that will help clay shooting. Obviously you can't shoot a gun in your garden or garage as an archer can but building a good premount routine is essential. I've read thst the likes of ian peel and othet spend a considerable amount of time perfeccting their gun mount and preshot routine so it can be done without effort. Giving more time to focus on the target when competing.

Something I've carried over Myself.

some of this must contribute to the 10000 hours. I doubtb that Ians shot 6m clays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is/ was your coach.

Good point about building a good pre shot routine so you have confidence in your pre shot set up.

Something that will help clay shooting. Obviously you can't shoot a gun in your garden or garage as an archer can but building a good premount routine is essential. I've read thst the likes of ian peel and othet spend a considerable amount of time perfeccting their gun mount and preshot routine so it can be done without effort. Giving more time to focus on the target when competing.

Something I've carried over Myself.

some of this must contribute to the 10000 hours. I doubtb that Ians shot 6m clays.
No coach as such, 

just listened & shot with county  level club members & UK squad members from time to time - who offered good advice when asked ( but then i had a passion for it,  so was prepared to commit  - positve mental approach)

And read loads of books,  tried what worked and didnt work

Realistically 12 months of  shooting 3 times ( or more)  a week  

And  thats determination ,   setting up  the range single handed, shooting,  packing away, and then going to work :)

Funny enough, although i had the space & equipment to do it in my garden, i never did, 

Mart

Last edited by a moderator:
Back