10,000 hours....the answer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From all the 'motivational speakers' that I've had to listen to over the years, the best comment for me was from one of the rowers, Matthew Pinsent, IIRC, when he told us that for years before a competition, when they had something to do, the question they always asked themselves was, "Would it make the boat go faster?".

If the answer was 'No', they wouldn't do it.  Discipline extraordinaire, but what's obviously needed at that level!

The 10,000 hour rule is the effort to put in to become "expert", remember. No one is saying that being No.1 in the world is achieved after that time has been put in. There can only be one No. 1.

I guess to define "expert", would it be that you are competing at the highest levels of that sport, earning an income from it?

Well actually the 10,000 hour rule is not just about sports people.....it also applied to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and many other forms of success.

Read 'Bounce' it explains it all quite nicely in a simple way.

The 10,000 hour rule is the effort to put in to become "expert", remember. No one is saying that being No.1 in the world is achieved after that time has been put in. There can only be one No. 1.

I guess to define "expert", would it be that you are competing at the highest levels of that sport, earning an income from it?
Well there's not many who earn a living from clay shooting .

Haha Chip....not everything is about money :wink:

I know that feeling well. In 2003 I reached the dizzy heights of representing England in a home nations shoot, that was the height of my life in archery, I hovered in the top 10 for around 4/5 years but after a serious accident caused some quite serious damage to my left shoulder I found it impossible to shoot a full tournament. I can manage an indoor but really don't enjoy that discipline. 

As for the 10000 hour thing I can agree to some point, I used to shoot every day in a regular training program that cemented muscle memory to such a degree that I still can drop a bow sight on to a 70M target with my eyes shut, strength and fitness for shooting a bow was very good and although I shot quite a heavy bow (46lb on the fingers) it was easy to me, now without the practice I struggle with 40lb. I couldn't have done that training without the enjoyment and the need to achieve my goals. I really believe that you need to be interested to be really good at anything, 10000 hours of something you hate? well I just don't believe that you would put the right effort in to get good if you really found it worse than a chore to devote time to training.

My favourite quote from my coaches while at my best (The late Barry and June Farndon, RIP) 

"Practice makes permanent,

Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Regards Dave
Theres a name from the past....  Barry Farndon.. Coach to some of the most successful archers of the late 80's 90's and early 2000s. He would keep his eye open for anybody showing promise, however one thing that he insisted on was commitment from anybody he took on... No half hearted effort, No lip service etc. If he was going to put time in he expected it back and would often set a subtle test of how comitted the "pupil" was before commiting his own time.

Example of such. A junior from Rugby asked him to coach him. Barry agreed and arranged a date and time that he knew that he couldn't easily get there via a lift or the bus etc and the option was to cycle to 20 miles or so to get there after school.

This Junior turned out to to be the most successful during the 90's nationally plus winning 2 medals at 2 different Olympics.  

What gets me is that Barry and the other top archery coaches do it for the love of seeing somebody they've built a relationship with acheiving something and not charge a penny for it.

Once you start competing and become a competant club archer, coaches will pick out any talent and make it known that they are willing to help if asked to help if the archer wants it or thinks they can work together.  

The clay shooting world however is mostly very different. Unless you are lucky as I was or you have a capable mentor, you have to pay for a coach who knows nothing about you and whos only commitment is for as long as you can pay him or her.

How many on this forum can say that after a really bad day when it's all gone wrong can talk to somebody knowlegeable enough to say OK what went wrong, what do we need to do to put it right or even, that went well, how to we make it even better?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go... Just got this from a friend on FB.

1800466_10202120096456930_1309824616_n.jpg

Theres a name from the past....  Barry Farndon.. Coach to some of the most successful archers of the late 80's 90's and early 2000s. He would keep his eye open for anybody showing promise, however one thing that he insisted on was commitment from anybody he took on... No half hearted effort, No lip service etc. If he was going to put time in he expected it back and would often set a subtle test of how comitted the "pupil" was before commiting his own time.

Example of such. A junior from Rugby asked him to coach him. Barry agreed and arranged a date and time that he knew that he couldn't easily get there via a lift or the bus etc and the option was to cycle to 20 miles or so to get there after school.

This Junior turned out to to be the most successful during the 90's nationally plus winning 2 medals at 2 different Olympics.  

What gets me is that Barry and the other top archery coaches do it for the love of seeing somebody they've built a relationship with acheiving something and not charge a penny for it.

Once you start competing and become a competant club archer, coaches will pick out any talent and make it known that they are willing to help if asked to help if the archer wants it or thinks they can work together.  

The clay shooting world however is mostly very different. Unless you are lucky as I was or you have a capable mentor, you have to pay for a coach who knows nothing about you and whos only commitment is for as long as you can pay him or her.

How many on this forum can say that after a really bad day when it's all gone wrong can talk to somebody knowlegeable enough to say OK what went wrong, what do we need to do to put it right or even, that went well, how to we make it even better?  
Ah that junior would have to be Steve Hallard. Yes Barry and June (I always refer to them together as they were very much a team) were always testing their archers but working with them and shooting with the top archers in practice really focused everyone while retaining the fun side.

I'm in the position of looking to pay for coaching in clay shooting. As a relative beginner and starting my journey in to clay shooting alone it's the only way I'm likely to make any real progress, going it alone and listening to the myriad of advice that is offered on any club day is sure to have someone like myself in knots, trying to sort out the good and useful from the bad advice. I do intend starting shooting in competitions but not until I feel happy enough with my shooting to enjoy the shoots fully. 

The people i coach can ....!!

.....they can ring me 24/7 to talk.......and they do......just like I can ring my coach 24/7.....and I do if needed.

Mine also have my 'whatsapp' and mobile number. (Some......have the Skype number)...so plenty of ways to contact with a question or concern, no matter what country they are in.

There is a lot more to coaching than what someone pays for an hour lesson (if they pay at all).....if you want then to succeed.

Like your Barry, I do not waste my time if they are not committed to their chosen sport.

One lesson only ......lets me see if i am interested in working with them....if I like their attitude....if they are open minded enough to do what I suggest. After that it is 24/7...access.

None takes the piss or they are fired...

Everything is on a confidential basis always. (You won't see me put anywhere 'my client has just..... Or Congratulations to my client....blah...blah) :wink:

ME

fred, you, tony and two others that I would trust.

PS

sat and sun I had either a text or a conversation with 3 of the above regarding some issues I am having.

Practise makes PERFECT in my book. The more you do, the more you will attain. Simples.

Phil*

Well there's not many who earn a living from clay shooting .
Well theres not many who have spent 10,000 hours shooting either.

(Wonder if there is a correlation there? Hmmm?)

Sorry Bob but there are quite a few who have....honest. :wink:

I reckon I have shot a total of 90,000 shells. (Since 1998, but mostly since 2005). If I take that as on average 75 minutes per 100, I have spent 1,125 hours shooting! F me!

But of course if you view the time properly and reckon that its only 20 minutes per 100 spent holding the gun.. well thats 297 hours. Not even a third of the way there.

Peter Wilson was saying on Dubai TV that he practiced 1500 per day. His hours tally must be er.. um.. I've run out of fingers.

To check the time decide how long it takes you to shoot one target - from set-up to shot.  I'm gonna go big and say about 6sec.  Since the 10K hrs only really refers to the time spent in the action that equates to about 6 MILLION targets.

so how far along are you?

just askin'

Back