jwpzx9r

Time for shot

41 posts in this topic

Ok so we know that for FO you are allowed 12 seconds and for FU you are allowed 10 seconds to call for the target after the previous shooter is finished shooting... but when is it safe to assume the shooter before you has finished shooting. The reason I ask is I never watch the target before me or the shooter before me but I obviously hear the report of the shots taken. So a two shot report is obvious but what about a one shot.. do we wait for the second shot or raise our gun in the assumption that the shooter is finished should I be watching the previous shooter? This may seem a bit daft I have been shooting for quite a while now and never really given it thought but the other day when I was shooting one of the guys took a shot ... missed and then what seemed an eternity later took another shot and made a hit !  I have no idea how far the target had travelled by the time he took his second shot but I could quite easily have closed my gun and started to mount my gun in the time it took for his second shot to sound.

Edited by jwpzx9r
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jwpzx9r said:

Ok so we know that for FO you are allowed 12 seconds and for FU you are allowed 10 seconds to call for the target after the previous shooter is finished shooting... but when is it safe to assume the shooter before you has finished shooting. The reason I ask is I never watch the target before me or the shooter before me but I obviously hear the report of the shots taken. So a two shot report is obvious but what about a one shot.. do we wait for the second shot or raise our gun in the assumption that the shooter is finished should I be watching the previous shooter? This may seem a bit daft I have been shooting for quite a while now and never really given it thought but the other day when I was shooting one of the guys took a shot ... missed and then what seemed an eternity later took another shot and made a hit !  I have no idea how far the target had travelled by the time he took his second shot but I could quite easily have closed my gun and started to mount my gun in the time it took for his second shot to sound.

Not a trap shooter but do shoot trap.  Don't you see in your peripheral vision when he breaks his gun?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think not paying too much attention to the shooter before you is commendable but you have to take some responsibility in knowing what's going on :) so as Sian says at the very least peripheral awareness or at least make a habit of actually watching the shooter before you shoot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nobody watches the previous shooter in trap, peripheral vision is out of the equation also if one is wearing side blinkers.

I understand what your saying john and it does happen how you describe, but rarely is there a problem. I think clock starts from when shooter breaks gun but could be wrong

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense Ian. I normally assume that if I hear the shooter before take his first shot and then there is a lag he hit the target and is finished but in the case I mention I would have been wrong :) . If you think about it to the absolute weirdly silly as long as the target is in the air then previous shooter has the right to shoot it ? As Ian says side blinders are worn to make sure nothing takes your eye as it were so I never see the previous shooter move. This is not something I would say is common but it would be interesting to know what the definition is for when the ten seconds actually starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot ATA instead.  Save on ammo too:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm aware even if not looking at them which I generally don't, I look at the floor but I am aware.  I don't wear blinkers though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had exactly this situation myself down at Brook Bank recently. Previous shooter to me took ages to let off his second shot and I was invariably lifting/closing my gun as the second shot went off. Doh!

In the end I started looking/checking below my left blinder to see his barrels touch the floor before I started my routine but it caught me out many times prior to that.

In my experience, even at major championships abroad, nobody ever really enforces the 10 second rule unless someone is really taking the piss with ever shot.

DT

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dog Tyred said:

In my experience, even at major championships abroad, nobody ever really enforces the 10 second rule unless someone is really taking the piss with ever shot.

To be fair Greg my setup to shot time is long I normally take about 8 seconds to get off my first barrel, most of the time taken setting my eyes  :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two factors come into play here. The microphones close for four seconds to permit firing plus the hooter; the previous shooter may have a no-target even though he fires and not all referees give an audible warning. Watch the previous target down to the ground then commence your routine. Even Ian Peel I notice glances up at the previous target. If you go to your focal point during the previous shooter you will see what happened to the target without looking at it.

Edited by 40UP
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I start my routine as the guy before me takes their first shot if they take a late second shot I just do a reset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, V8 90 said:

I start my routine as the guy before me takes their first shot if they take a late second shot I just do a reset. 

does that include raising the gun 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No ian - my routine starts with looking at 2 cartridges in my open gun & lightly gripping the stock a couple of times :wink:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your not one of those, put cartridges in so lettering is correct way up then twiddle em a bit then stare at em sorts are ya 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who only shoots trap two or three times a year can I ask. Why shouldn't you watch the previous shooter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ips said:

your not one of those, put cartridges in so lettering is correct way up then twiddle em a bit then stare at em sorts are ya 😁

Gotta make sure the patterns the right way up :)  I am a cartridge twiddler I'm afraid. Just part of the routine these days. 

The anxiety when I don't twiddle is too much to bear!!

DT

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chippy said:

As someone who only shoots trap two or three times a year can I ask. Why shouldn't you watch the previous shooter?

cos if he or she misses it gets in your head and you then miss. Unlike sporting were there is a delay between shooters trap is very fast by comparison so there is little time to compose. It is amazing to witness or indeed be involved in a squad all shooting brilliantly until twenty targets in for no obvious reason one misses then it goes down the line with subsequent misses by the others, why , because it got in there heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ips said:

cos if he or she misses it gets in your head and you then miss. Unlike sporting were there is a delay between shooters trap is very fast by comparison so there is little time to compose. It is amazing to witness or indeed be involved in a squad all shooting brilliantly until twenty targets in for no obvious reason one misses then it goes down the line with subsequent misses by the others, why , because it got in there heads.

But you must hear the ref calling loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, chippy said:

As someone who only shoots trap two or three times a year can I ask. Why shouldn't you watch the previous shooter?

Might sound daft but one reason I wouldn't , in fact don't , is that you may subconsciously start to do something they do. It could be anything from the way the mount their gun to the way they stand to the time they take to shoot the target. If you have your own setup and timing routine it is important not to let yourself be side tracked... JMO though.

Edited by jwpzx9r
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ips said:

your not one of those, put cartridges in so lettering is correct way up then twiddle em a bit then stare at em sorts are ya 😁

No mate - I just look at the ground 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, V8 90 said:

No mate - I just look at the ground 

I know somebody is going to tell me I am wrong ... but that may actually not be the best idea. The reason I say that, especially if it is a very bright day is that your pupil's of your eyes will dilate considerably when you look at the ground then when you look up out over the fosse to where you will see the target the extra brightness will cause them to constrict when you may not actually want that then it takes a bit of time for the eyes to equilibrate as it were. I think this is a recipe for tired eyes to be honest. I think its best to give them less work and just stare straight ahead again JMO.

Edited by jwpzx9r
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It works for me :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, V8 90 said:

It works for me :wink:

Well there you go :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jwpzx9r said:

I know somebody is going to tell me I am wrong ... but that may actually not be the best idea. The reason I say that, especially if it is a very bright day is that your pupil's of your eyes will dilate considerably when you look at the ground then when you look up out over the fosse to where you will see the target the extra brightness will cause them to constrict when you may not actually want that then it takes a bit of time for the eyes to equilibrate as it were. I think this is a recipe for tired eyes to be honest. I think its best to give them less work and just stare straight ahead again JMO.

generally speaking this is good advice from john. But if other stuff works fill your boots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, chippy said:

But you must hear the ref calling loss.

Or hear the horrible buzzer 😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now