Quick fix for 'gun moving'.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

Shot a 100 birder, last Wednesday and a 50 birder today and have developed a bit of an annoying habit which is causing a few misses. Due to an extended visit from Arthur Righteous in my neck and shoulders, I have found myself calling for the target and starting to mount the gun before the appearance of the clay. My usual clay gun, a Miroku trap, weighs in at around 8 1/4 lbs. I have started using my Beretta 303 which is just over 7lbs and although better, premature movement is still occuring, usually after a couple of pairs of 3 or 4 pair stands. I find I am now concentrating more on keeping the gun still, than any of the other points that lead to success. I am due to start physio in early New Year, but anyone who has overcome this bad habit, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks W. 

Are you saying you're finding it hard to keep still prior to calling because of the weight of the gun ? Not being dead still is I feel one of the things that gives away the less focussed and casual approach shooters, going back to the same address point and reset is critical. 

Have you tried taking a nano second longer whilst reloading, perhaps use the bar to rest the gun on to relieve the tension and build in a new mental on/off switch between each pair as opposed to the whole stand - do not call until you've got the gun steady at the address point ?! 

I've not really had to correct a similar problem before but I have had to make a conscious change to slow down, on occasion I've been known to lower the gun, even break it and start again.

Stating the obvious, but if you are mounting the gun before the appearance of the clay, what exactly are you mounting at? Sounds like you're trying to shoot pre-mounted but still convincing yourself you're doing it "proper" style sporting?

The only advice I can give is wait until the clay comes to the place where you have to start your mount so that you can move and shoot at your "best" kill point. Remember, it's only trap shooters who have to shoot as soon as they see the target. Us sporters have much more time to let the target get to it's sweet spot before we bust it to bits. Have patience WesTley!   :biggrin:

What I am attempting to say is that I have gone to my gun start position with the muzzles, tuned my head/eyes to pick up point, calling 'pull' and then starting to move gun, before clay comes into view. As to what I am mounting on, this usually occurs on 3rd. or last pair on stand so the flight line is being 'anticipated' and the gun being moved. So, by the time the clay has reached the gun start point, the gun is in my shoulder and I am playing 'catch up'. I do think that lack of mobility and weight of gun are the 2 main problems and today I switched to the lighter gun. On the quicker targets I was keeping the gun down and breaking these without problem, but anything that was out a bit, or took longer to appear (over trees etc.) there was the gun starting to move to shoulder before clay arrived. An overhead from behind that took an age to appear, 'pull' and there was gun in shoulder waiting for clay to get there, first 2 pairs killed no probs. without gun moving. Then, maybe due to stiffness and arms aching, gun starts to move and pair lost. I do appreciate the help though Guys.

Maybe on birds that take that long to appear try counting them, watch when some one else is on the stand or the show pair count how long from pull until the clay appears then mount to that Tempo

Where possible pick a mark on the clays path such as a branch and make that your trigger for starting the mounting process ?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the Miroku what about calling for the target whilst you're in the process of closing the gun and it'll be on the way as you're getting the gun towards your shoulder to provide more of a snap shot.

Or .....you could use you eyes ......and stay still, not moving the gun until clay appears (FITASC) style. By thinking of doing Fitasc style you know you cannot move until clay is in the air. Just a different way of looking at the same thing.

Wesley.

I call that last bird syndrome.

It's nearly always the last targets. Nothing different is done but they don't break.

Reasons are then sought.

I did it Sunday two fast over heads from behind. Smoked first 8, missed last 2.

Just leave the gun out there watch for the clay when the two meet pull the trigger your head does the rest.

Gun control is the secrete. Very difficult to maintain and easy to slip back to old ways.

The heavier the gun the worse it is.

IMO.

Merry Christmas and a high scoring New Year.

As you call pull just think to yourself "stay still". Rather than "don't move" it's more positive than the don't move and apparently more easily accepted by the subconscious which will latch on to the "move" word and make you of it.

Plus it's simple and cheap to implement.

Ooh Paul I never knew you were into this black magic stuff. It does sound feasible though bit like the don't think of an egg type thing.

Ps

We should both have thought "don't go shooting in high wind" yesterday. :)

Thanks Guys (and Gal). I have decided to stick with the lighter gun for a while and see how things develop. I am not suffering to the same degree after shooting. I will try some of the tricks suggested. The annoying thing is, I know this bad habit has developed whilst,  or should I say BECAUSE, of the heavier gun, but has escalated over the last couple of months. I am doing the 100 birder at Catton Hall on 28th. so will try some of the possible cures then. I shoot gun down at everything except Teal or Trap type targets and find it hard to change.

I've long felt that there are certain training situations where one of the electric dog collars would prove an advantageous training aid.  This may be one.

Latest posts

Back