Cracked stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

My Miroku G5 stock has cracked around the grip, It's a year old and has been sent back to Browning/Miroku for a warranty repair. The crack is hairline and not right the way through so the wood has not separated.

I have been told that they don't always honour the warranty for wood breakage so I wait to see what they do.

Question: If they don't replace the wood and I have to have it repaired/fixed does anyone have any experience on whether these type of repairs are permanent and strong or whether they tend to deteriorate with time?

Thanks

My Miroku G5 stock has cracked around the grip, It's a year old and has been sent back to Browning/Miroku for a warranty repair. The crack is hairline and not right the way through so the wood has not separated.

I have been told that they don't always honour the warranty for wood breakage so I wait to see what they do.

Question: If they don't replace the wood and I have to have it repaired/fixed does anyone have any experience on whether these type of repairs are permanent and strong or whether they tend to deteriorate with time?

Thanks
Midland gun services or jws stocks 

both fixed a lot of stocks for me never a issue 

Thanks
My Perazzi cracked after 9000 shells. It was glued by a gunsmith for £20 and is now still solid as a rock after 96,000 shells. He told me I should have let the crack grow a bit longer, as it’s easier to open it up and get the glue in!

It’s always worth while ensuring that the stock bolt is nice and snug on any shotgun . Under tightening and over tightening the stock bolt can cause cracking .  I always tighten the stock bolt with both the male and female threads dry . 

It’s always worth while ensuring that the stock bolt is nice and snug on any shotgun . Under tightening and over tightening the stock bolt can cause cracking .  I always tighten the stock bolt with both the male and female threads dry . 
how tight ?    torque settings ? 

Update:

I must admit I am impressed, my RFD shipped the gun to Browning on Tuesday and it arrived back this morning with a new G5 stock.​
The colour match is good, just a wee bit darker.​

​

Very happy with that result. 🙂

how tight ?    torque settings ? 
Dry threads no grease ,   turn to  first stop then a quarter  to a one third turn does it for me . My Mirokus have big slotted cheese head stock bolts so I use a  big screwdriver * Only take them off when the gun has had a soaking . The K80 has a Hex head  bolt and an Allen key,  use the same method as above as I’ve got a hole drilled through the pad so it doesn’t have to come off . I’ve never used a torque wrench or torque screwdriver although I’ve got both .  

* Make sure it’s one that’s a good tight fit in the slot and full width of the slot . 

My 20yr old MK70 stock lossened after a while and I took advice and de-greased the stock bold thread and at the end of the action and tightened it with Loctite 243 Blue which has stopped it from coming loose.  Loctite Blue can be easily undone with hand tools my local gunsmith advised.

About 2k cartridges later and it is still tight, used to loosen after about 200 ish before 

I use a VERY light coating of anti-seize cooper grease on the bolt, tighten as described above, never had any problem

Latest posts

Back