New Grants

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Flintstone

As the question often comes up, as to ‘how long does a new grant take’, thought I might share my very recent experience... (Kent police)

I applied in September this year, once new grant applications were being accepted again.

It took me 1 week to obtain my GP declaration, and £50. The SGC application was then made electronically, and took exactly 10 weeks and 1 day from the application being sent, to receiving a certificate through the door (today). My FO visit was 3 weeks ago.

All things considered, I think this pretty good going in the current climate, fair play to Kent Police, and I’m pleased! Just waiting for the shops to reopen, then the grounds! 🙄

I haven’t received my SGC yet. I also applied in September... 2019!

I must be the only person who has three shotguns and no SGC that isn’t a gangster 🤣
Eek!

Me thinks the police definitely don’t like you!

But seriously, why over a year to wait?

Eek!

Me thinks the police definitely don’t like you!

But seriously, why over a year to wait?
At first things went rather quickly. Medical report (free) within a week, FO visit in less than a month, but then followed a catalogue of delays.
First of all background checks... In my disclosure I mentioned an argument I had outside the house  with my (ex) wife. It was a bit rambunctious and a neighbour called the police. Not itself too much of an issue but I was asked if my ex wife might claim I’d point a shotgun at her if she knew I had one. Knowing that she can be vindictive (stopping me from seeing my children when she first saw my new partner; a bit rich seeing as she had her third affair that ultimately ended our marriage) answering truthfully I had to answer that I thought it could be possible. After the checks, the FO seemed to think all would be OK and was just waiting sign off by the Licencing manager. 
Several weeks (Jan 20 by this time) went by and I enquired as to the delay, worrying if my ex had put a spanner in the works. I was told  staff shortages were causing the delay. Then covid hit. All was looking like it was finally about to come good and I would be getting my SGC just as soon as they could clear the backlog of renewals when the second lockdown came into being.

Cest le vie

Last edited by a moderator:
At first things went rather quickly. Medical report (free) within a week, FO visit in less than a month, but then followed a catalogue of delays.
First of all background checks... In my disclosure I mentioned an argument I had outside the house  with my (ex) wife. It was a bit rambunctious and a neighbour called the police. Not itself too much of an issue but I was asked if my ex wife might claim I’d point a shotgun at her if she knew I had one. Knowing that she can be vindictive (stopping me from seeing my children when she first saw my new partner; a bit rich seeing as she had her third affair that ultimately ended our marriage) answering truthfully I had to answer that I thought it could be possible. After the checks, the FO seemed to think all would be OK and was just waiting sign off by the Licencing manager. 
Several weeks (Jan 20 by this time) went by and I enquired as to the delay, worrying if my ex had put a spanner in the works. I was told  staff shortages were causing the delay. Then covid hit. All was looking like it was finally about to come good and I would be getting my SGC just as soon as they could clear the backlog of renewals when the second lockdown came into being.

Cest le vie
All I can say is it will be well worth the wait. You will meet some cracking folk, learn how to BS with the best in regards to cartridges,chokes, clays made of concrete , this gun ,that gun , etc etc.

You will make friends for life.

But most of all you will have a ball. 

Hang in there 

Jasper. 

GMP are just starting to process applications from February, it’s definitely a 12 month job up here.

Here we go... 🙄
Here we go where? My Hmmm is why has a simple grant taken so long? The syndicate I was in had members who were shall we say less than model citizens and had their grants awarded. My point is what has happened to the system were a simple decision whether or not someone a shotgun certificate takes such a long time. It was my understanding that anybody had the right to own and shoot a shotgun and it was up to the authorities to give a very good reason that there was a case to support not granting the certificate... and even then that if the decision was no it was open to challenge in court... I did live in Scotland and the laws in Scotland are different to those in the rest of the UK though.

We now live in an era where if you use social media and make a comment about some every day atrocity like some poor souls getting murdered in the city of London, that is seen as being right wing or racist they are on to you in a flash! And rather than the sword wielder it is you how are the target of the authorities.

Here we go where? My Hmmm is why has a simple grant taken so long? The syndicate I was in had members who were shall we say less than model citizens and had their grants awarded. My point is what has happened to the system were a simple decision whether or not someone a shotgun certificate takes such a long time. It was my understanding that anybody had the right to own and shoot a shotgun and it was up to the authorities to give a very good reason that there was a case to support not granting the certificate... and even then that if the decision was no it was open to challenge in court... I did live in Scotland and the laws in Scotland are different to those in the rest of the UK though.

We now live in an era where if you use social media and make a comment about some every day atrocity like some poor souls getting murdered in the city of London, that is seen as being right wing or racist they are on to you in a flash! And rather than the sword wielder it is you how are the target of the authorities.
I think Lloyd’s delay, and probably most other simple grants, is mainly caused by the COVID restrictions most police forces put in place, especially for many months during the first lockdown.

As he said, he had an issue that he was honest with, which caused an initial delay and led into lockdown.The rest is the process shutdown and subsequent backlogs coupled with renewals. I’m not saying it’s right, or that more should have been done, but it is the general story across much of the UK.

From what I see, most people can still get their SGC if they want to... just not very quickly at present! 
Could it be quicker... of course!

OK flower. 😊

It's nothing new, 2/3 years ago it was much the same, some members of our Smallbore target shooting club were waiting over 12 months for a renewel to come through, even after sending it in 8 weeks before it was due as instructed.

Then a change in the Chief Constable I belive, and things got a lot better, it depends on how the force prioritize what they belive is important.

Even though you are paying for this servce a lot argue that the price you pay doesn't cover the work involved.

The Home office approval for shooting clubs is another, the price shot up (no pun) almost to the point small clubs wouldn't be able to afford it, it was only after a lot of negotiation by governing bodies that a compromise was found. Even then it was expensive compaired to the previous amount,and the club has to remember to renew as the HO no longer send a reminder for this

Here we go where? My Hmmm is why has a simple grant taken so long?
Ahhh... Is that what your hmmm... meant? (just the three dots for a period). I wasn’t wondering to be honest. 
Well, it’s a simple answer to a simple question and the simple answer is it clearly isn’t a simple grant or simple circumstances.

I’d have thought I’d made that simply clear.

My hmm... on the other hand comes with an upfront point of view that you’re simple... simply! Sorry, I get my words mixed up sometimes. Simply trying to be provocative. 😁   

I think it's more lockdown, as I said I've seen it before and that was before they had the excuse of covid to use

Admittedly 2 years ago now but mine came through in 3 weeks from Hampshire!
3 weeks?!? Just goes to show what CAN be done!

(Assuming your not best mates with the firearms dept. manager, or something similar !!!)

West Mercia are really on the ball now, good communication and helpful

Latest posts

Back