Which felt/fibre wad cartridge for optima and other backbored guns?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesterse

With the Beretta World being fibre/felt wad only, what are people's thoughts on the best cartridge for those of us with optima bored barrels.

This is with regard to contention over fibre wads making an efficient seal in this type of barrel.

I have shot Hull Profibre and Hull Sovereign Fibre through my DT 10 optima barrels no problems.

I can recommend them, no idea how they compare to others, but I never felt they have been a disadvantage apart from the initial getting used to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used Eley VIP fibre and a  DT10 for year's , great pattern's through the Optimabore barrels . Changed to Eley Blues fibre because of cost , still very good break's on target's

I too have used 1000s of Eley Blues, but not many through Optima barrels. For the last year  or so I've been getting a decent deal on Saga Eurotrap 28 fibres and they really work well with the Optimas. Comparing with Eley Olympic 28gm plastics, I can't detect any difference in performance at any distance. If anything, the Sagas deliver heavier breaks. Consequently I buy plastic only for the price, not the performance.

Because Berettas have 3" chambers, I always use full length shells. It's probably nonsense but I feel the 60-67 mm shells must be a disadvantage compared with the 70mm standard length.

Fiocchi TT2s shot thousands of them, Best fibre cart for £180 on the market imo....shot with 682 gold e

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for your comments, it seems like there is nothing to worry about. I'm going to try out some of the options suggested over the next few weeks.I mostly shoot Olympics so I guess the nearest to them would suit me best.

Fiocchi TT2s shot thousands of them, Best fibre cart for £180 on the market imo....shot with 682 gold e
Where do you get yours from? Can't find any suppliers in this area but I'm coming up to the Midlands shortly so might be able to pick some up.

Holy thread resurrection ;-).

Just giving this a bump as interested in any updated views on the best fibre wad for the DT10 / Optima (slightly) back bored barrels. Mine come in at 0.732". Have tried B&P green core and Hull (not sure which one) but just can't find anywhere near the same comfort levels as I can on the plas wads.

I choke up on fibres and shoot Hull superfast 7.5 out of my 32" 694, 18.6 backbored with two 1/2 ochp chokes. I have tried a few others and settled on these for any fibre shoots. Seem to get better kills with the Superfast.

I must say my spare gun, a 32" Miroku 3800 with 18.4 bore and fixed 1/2 chokes produces much better kills with fibre wads.

Fiocchi TT2s shot thousands of them, Best fibre cart for £180 on the market imo....shot with 682 gold e
Wow look at that price. Plus a hundred quid now.
I'm currently shooting Fiocchi Litespeed fibre in my Beretta 682 Gold E and I'm happy with them. (£263/1000)

I have used both fibre and plastic and l believe there is no discernable difference in the pattern, if you are on them they will break! If you are really bothered choke up a bit using fibres to set your mind at rest

When I have to use fibre wads in my Beretta 692 18.6mm Optima barrels I always use Lyalvale English Sporters (in 8 shot) which do the job for me.

Lyalvale say "The English Sporter is a highly consistent shot, delivering exception value for money." and why would they lie 😉

I've got a dt11 with the supposedly massively over bored barrels and ridiculously long forcing cones and shoot either superfast or tt1 in 24 gram fibre with 1/4 teague choke and it does the business to well in excess of 50 yards. I've never noticed any problems with fibres, my ability runs out a long time before the cartridge is a problem.

As per my original post my old DT10 didn’t like fibre wads. Had a few different guns since then and have settled on Fiocchi FBlack Sport as my favourite fibre wad. Given the choice though would always go for plastic.

I'll throw in my 2 pence.

I currently use a MK38 (I fully understand that the forcing cones/chokes/barrel profiles are different to a DT11). The Miroku is back-bored to 18.7mm. I pattern tested it this week using fibre 24g 7.5 Olympic Blue's through teague extended 3/8 chokes (I use the same in both barrels). The pattern was spot on with a very even distribution of shot, no fliers, gaps, or clumps. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the board otherwise I would post on here.

I find that I can use either plastic or fiber wadded cartridges without any noticeable differences in kills/breaks. I accept that at the upper levels of competition when your dealing in the fractions of percentages for any advantage that plastic may perform better. However for the majority of us (myself included) I think the main difference is psychological or perceived.

EDIT: however I do recognise that certain guns seem to like/work with certain cartridges better than others

Last edited:
One ‘ oddity ‘ about the fixed choke 38 trap gun is that the specification is overbored at 18.7 , but has 2 3/4 chambers , and short forcing cones , as primarily it is a target gun , and in principle would never get used in game ( although you can’t go on a driven pheasant day and not see one ) . I wonder if the chamber specs affect the pattern . FWIW , I shoot the same as you , same choking same cartridges except 28 gm .

One ‘ oddity ‘ about the fixed choke 38 trap gun is that the specification is overbored at 18.7 , but has 2 3/4 chambers , and short forcing cones , as primarily it is a target gun , and in principle would never get used in game ( although you can’t go on a driven pheasant day and not see one ) . I wonder if the chamber specs affect the pattern . FWIW , I shoot the same as you , same choking same cartridges except 28 gm .
The chamber spec deffo plays a big difference. A friends Silver Pigeon on like chokes and carts patterns wider than my DT10. I can deffo kill more with plas than fibre (thus far) with mine in like for like conditions. I don’t expect all guns suffer this characteristic.

My shooting is as yet of too low a standard to claim psychology plays a part ha ha.

Really appreciate the posts thank you guys.

Back