What if part deux

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddmatt

Right, seeing as we are fast approaching the end of another competition season I thought I see what the general consensus was on this idea. This is based on sporting events but would work across any discipline, I think!

The English Open and British Open seem to have got a little diluted in terms of their prestige, especially when you consider the British Open is the oldest sporting competition we have.

So, what if both events were made true opens? Each day all the scores are collated and a course average is determined, this is then used to class all the shooters who shot on that day. This would compensate days where the weather may have played a part, ie raining on the first day but was nice and sunny for the second day etc.

In the British open I think this should be turned back to the old system, you shoot a qualifying round, same principals as above and if you qualify you come back to shoot for honours. When you use a highest score wins method you can't always say the best sporting shot won, this is largely due to weather, if someone shoots a 96 ex 100 on a calm sunny day and GD/BH/RF etc shoot on a day that is blowing a gale and raining they have little chance to beat that score, therefore has the best sporting shot actually won?

Hopefully this will spark some ideas or maybe evryone thinks nothing should be changed, if it ain't broke why fix it...?

Class will out always. OK I agree that the odd major is won by someone with a bit of help from the wind but taken as a whole the names you see at the top are there for a reason. All you do is deny even the odd win to some extremely good, committed shots who can't even get lucky once in a while.

I like it Matt.

Most international shoots are shot over a few days. Everyone shoots the same quantity of targets each day....and over a few days they build the score.

One of the most important factors that brings out the true champion is the ability to sleep well when leading the field and get up the next day and shoot to win. You 'NEVER' get that pressure here in a lot of the disciplines (GB selection shoots do as they are over 2 days).

So many times I have seen shooters who have come back to the hotel after the 2nd day....thinking that they were home free.....only to go out and blow a really good score on the last day.

I am all for people qualifying in our majors .....the best of each day....and coming back for a super final.....super finals of the best ....going down to a super final of the last 6.......would ...could....interest the TV and if not the terrestrial stations, then the Internet stations. Either way it makes it worth filming.

Last edited:
Actually I quite like the idea in principle, but sadly it all comes down to money again.

Already people generally are struggling with the expense of their shooting (me included) and you hear moans even now about the cost of the major championships. Your idea would create more cost to the shooter in cartridges, fuel/accommodation etc etc, affecting some more than others of course dependant upon the venue. Plus the ground owners would incur extra costs for making the venue available longer, additional refs and general staff etc, which would have to force up the price of entry alone?

From what I can see, most majors are already light on entry and I would take a little wager that this is mainly due to cost. Whilst liking the idea, I am not convinced it would create a bigger entry?

I agree with Nicola's point that a "super final" could indeed be of interest to TV which could create some excellent PR, but only really if it made it to mainstream TV. I would think that internet TV would mainly be seen by those already participating or interested in the sport.

However, I do think it is good to think "outside the box", as they say. I am just not sure if this is the answer, unless as previously suggested there is an increase in sponsorship which could effectively subsidise the top level cost to the shooter.

I'll be interested to read other points of view.

Interesting thing is, majors entries are actually at their highest point in the last 6 or 7 years, when the British Open was run with qualifying days it was usually a sell out, yes it does increase the cost but you are in effect shooting another 100 targets for free. Maybe the qualifers could be run at grounds during the year and you must shoot at least 2 qualifying scores (from different grounds) to qualify your entry to the British Open? It just seems a shame that the oldest shooting competition in the UK is now being run like every other event, surely it deserves to have its prestige restore?

Interesting thing is, majors entries are actually at their highest point in the last 6 or 7 years, when the British Open was run with qualifying days it was usually a sell out, yes it does increase the cost but you are in effect shooting another 100 targets for free. Maybe the qualifers could be run at grounds during the year and you must shoot at least 2 qualifying scores (from different grounds) to qualify your entry to the British Open? It just seems a shame that the oldest shooting competition in the UK is now being run like every other event, surely it deserves to have its prestige restore?
I think this is the best idea as it would keep the cost down and would make a great day out to watch the best in the country shoot off against each other in a Super Final. Bit like the old White Gold Cup.

Is there really a problem with the majors or are people just getting used to shooting week in, week out at commercial grounds? Grounds increasingly have much better facilities and trap technology allows targets to be thrown, even at strawbale shoots, that could only be dreamt of years ago. When majors are held at these same grounds its bound to feel a bit samey.

Surely if there are qualifying rounds or whatever then it ceases to be an open event. The great thing about open events particularly trap and particularly Dtl is that its like the grand national anyone can come good on the day. I am all for pay your money and shoot with all levels of ability it is one of the few sports were this happens.

Ian, there are no open events anymore, not in the true sense anyway. No one is saying you can't compete against the best, just in its current form, you may not necessarily get the best shooter winning especially if the weather plays a part. If you had regional qualifers you would be putting more money into the roots of the sports and in turn making the Final more attractive to sponsors, so a win win IMO.

Matt, it is not often that you and i disagree, maybe sporting is different but trap opens are true opens and the best shooter on the day wins which as you say is not necessarily the best shooter statistically but that is what differentiates an open from a world cup which are qualifying events. The fact that a good shooter can come good on the day and win a top shooter is IMO a great format. You turn up after maybe months of practice leading up to it you pay your 80 quid or whatever you get squaded with whoever and give it your best shot. Open majors IMO are THE thing that a lot of us serious but not funded shooters look forward to all year. If this open format is changed it will kill the sport IMO.

Kind regards - Ian

What a super idea!

Each Region could have two qualifiers at two different grounds open to anyone with a gun and third party insurance.

The winners and a number of places in each class could go through to a Super Open on the same day at a neutral ground  to compete for 'The Open' .

Back