Weirdness will soon stop

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats becasue they are all putting in some low scores to keep the average down, its the same every year
Really I don't think so? One is cheaper for a start and my score from a registered this year in England shot under SCTA has not been included in the overall results?

How does that work!

Glen.

how true ... I know people have a few odd 'off' days, but sometimes results do make me wonder whether people are manufacturing their scores, especially when they have dropped a few too many to win their class! It is just hard to get a fair system, when you have things like this happening.

One of the reasons I left the WCTSA for the CPSA ... is that the WCTSA had missing scores, and made mistakes (apparently I am registered for OT, but have never shot registered OT in my life!) - they had me registered in C class when I should have been higher (still couldn't win in C class btw!).

p.s. want to be in AAA one day ;o)

AAA is a lonely class to be in Sam. Pay out lots win sweet F A Don't be in too much of a rush to get there.

Must say looking at scores in C in the last few weeks there doesnt seem to be as many 80 odds as there was last period, maybe I've been shooting at tougher grounds lately but most winning scores have been mid 70's
You will find that those in the 70's and 80's are shooting Trap now :.:

I would love to go up a class this time but a poor run of form chasing the average has dropped me probably below the cut off for A - but hopefully 3 big 80 scores this month might drag my sorry a££ up a class and then the real fun starts climbing up that class!

Sandbagging - a wonderful road to nowwhere can't say I have seen it much and if I spot some in my class I will try and beat their sorry a££

Sampop I was back at Fauxdegla today trying to beat the 3 stands that took a good score off me ! The midi on stand 6, ( now found) missed all 4, the quarter 40 yarder on stand 10 up the hill ( now found) and that bl@@dy stand 10 took 7 off me on sunday now can hit 10 ex 10 on the bounce. Result sunday average ruining 73 on another day somewhere in the 80's and a class win - i love this game !

It is addictive. For me, 7 years now chasing my average. You will get to realise that, if you shoot plenty and at different grounds, an average is hard to raise. Moments of success fool you into thinking you have cracked it, but the ( plenty of shoots and plenty of grounds) average tells all..

I could be AA by now if I selected shoots and avoided handing in bad cards. Too honest to myself..

I think chasing a specific number is dangerous and detrimental to your season overall.

Focus more on shooting decent targets and shooting to the best of your ability, not just a number. Big scores and higher classes are easy to get if you just go to the soft shoots you know you can do a score at. As will said, you will only be kidding yourself.

Focus on real world improvement, be honest with yourself (sometimes brutally) and work on the parts of your game that let you down, as opposed to avoiding grounds that expose the weaknesses; you will soon get on the right track.

Spot on Ed, I have found chasing a number puts a worse score on the board than just shooting and letting the clays break where they will.

When I'm chasing a number I am counting my misses, never a good thing.

Pretty sure I aint going up this time but I am looking at it as a lesson learned, dont think I have hit my goal of going up but I have learnt a lot about how I personally need to approach the game. Nearly 5000 reg targets at 18 different grounds this year is a fairly wide variety of targets. I have had some good results and some shockers but the mean average line is rising so reasonably happy with my season.

On the bright side, Cashed in a major (which was another goal) and won a medal at the world prelim so onwards and upwards :)

Some good points that I am trying to follow at the moment, just not switching off enough to the scores I think. I have set a goal to beat my drought of 80's at my local grounds and practise the targets post shoot that cost me - it seems to be a number of traps typically 3 ?.. That costs me typically 16 + targets --- ouch but I am hopeful that with experience and coaching I will get past this. ( I am still in my first 18 months of shooting so a lot to learn) and working the head game too!

Personally I think the head game is under-rated (tin hat) there are lots that say learn to shoot first then get into the head, but if you cant control your emotional responses to misses or kills no matter what level you are it will cost you targets.

When you practice the ones you missed are you learning why you missed them the first time or just learning to break a few?

You want to focus on WHY they caused you so much grief and work on your technique accordingly; otherwise you may learn a way to hit them in practice but next time you will likely get caught out again.

Where you are now, you do not want to be focusing on numbers.

As a limited budget shooter and starting late in life, I don't want to waste lead, so I got into trying to understand the head game a bit and though some will naturally switch off, coming off a 50 hr week and a busy family life Getting my shooting head on in a stand and relaxing gets me plenty of straights and that builds scores. (Even in this first year I have been able to walk in to a stand and shoot straights under pressure the highlight being at the British as I was squadded with Ben H and as we finished on stand 4 he drew a crowd of on lookers as these top shooters do - so i stuck to my routine walked in and only dropped 1 bird off my last two stands which was all down to working on my head game)

Plus its free !

I understand the "learn to shoot" angle but we will be doing that until we lay our guns down won't we ? So if I can learn a way to turn the targets I can hit into straights and build scores I am with you Fuzrat!

P.s. Not done any of that pro. coaching stuff yet just reading and learning at the mo.

Thanks for the pointers Ed, I am working with John Barnett and Scott at Mickley Hall and they are echoing what you are saying so todays practise was to find the target with a solid technique ( i was stopping the gun I think on sunday) so I forced the gun through the target and finished the shot properly. Once I was swing freely again. I shot the pair as they were presented on Sunday until I hit the 10 it highlighted I have been tight on my swing and not swinging through, on the bigger targets this has cost me - hoping todays exercise will give me the confidence to shot the targets properly this week !

Last edited by a moderator:
OK this may be fairly unique to me but I tend to find that the worst damage comes from a certain angle or type of bird through a round. A few years ago for instance I'd come back from a shoot with 15 away on left to right birds but half that willy nilly here and there. So to me it was a case of finding a way of capping the problem angle. A couple of weeks ago I missed all five of a certain bird, it was the last stand but I knew that wasn't the problem as I'd chopped and changed the lead etc to no avail. I went back mid week and it took me a dozen shots to find the cause, walked off with the last seven birds killed.

I saw a similar trend on Sunday it was high crossers a normal safe target with me, but I have been working hard on faster close targets and have not shot many long crossers. Which was reflected on the scorecard!

In the early days it was high driven that used to be my bogey. Then a clever man explained the thought process to me;

walk to the driven stand telling myself this is going to be difficult; and waddya know??! :huh: or....

walk to the driven stand with a little smile on my face, tell myself they're dust, and most importantly forget it if it goes wrong, cuz there's always next week!

Of course you need to know how to actually break them, but most of us do anyway. The point is to reduce, as much as is humanly possible, any negative thoughts.

I now don't ever use the term "bogey" - unless of course, I see someone excavating a nasal cavity! :.:

Oh, the power of positive thought! ;)

Back