Vari focal glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centrepin

I've looked through the forum but can't find an answer.

I'm new to Clay's and wear vari focal glasses. At first I couldn't focus on the clay as I was trying to aim. My eyes aren't fast enough to refocus short to long. I shot without glasses for a short while and marginally improved. Returing to wearing glasses again I'm no worse.

My question is really, is it better to have a pair of prescription glasses made for my long focus, possibly with a tint to just concentrate on the clay.

My close vision is adequate for loading without glasses.

Thanks guys, I'm going to have a look at getting some single vision distance and leave my vari's in my bag. 

Cheap to try, about the same price as a box of 25 cartridges but last longer. 

i believe it depends on the difference in prescription between the long/short sighted, the greater the gap the harder to use as it has to be spread over the glass area, my difference is not that great and i manage to use varifocals fine, no different to any other daily activity really

I have been through this as well, I am long sighted and need glasses for distance as well as close vision.

For shooting I have single long distance lenses but they do have a 'D' section at the bottom for close vision - score cards etc 

Thanks for the replies, I think I just needed a little encouragement to justify spending "another few pounds" towards my new hobby.

I've ordered a prescription distance pair with a grey polarising lens from specsavers budget range for about the cost of a slab and spent a whole .99p on a pair from home bargains to chuck in a pocket if I need to do any close work. As I'm still very much learning I don't keep a score card at present so no worries about writing.

I have been through this as well, I am long sighted and need glasses for distance as well as close vision.

For shooting I have single long distance lenses but they do have a 'D' section at the bottom for close vision - score cards etc 
are they not varifocals  ?

No -  bi-focals, a very different set up to varifocals

bi-focals have 2 seperate sections for 2 different lense strengths

Varifocals have 2 or 3 different strength 'hot spots' and then blend the lense between these areas which will/can distort vision. Bi-focals wont do that.

The above is my non-expert description of the differences, hope this helps

Same problem here, but have gone with disposable multi focal contacts just for shooting and never 'looked' back!

Cheaper than a special pair of specs for shooting too - as priced by spec savers

Also wear them when on my motorcycle as specs seem to get lodged in the helmet lining

I can't wear contacts more's the pity. I'm very much a baby when it comes to my eyes. I can't abide anyone or anything near my eyes it's my weak spot. Some people dislike spiders or such, with me its eyes, touch my eyes I'll hurt you.  My optician is very good and understands my fear. When I had my cataracts done I had to have a general anesthetic and overnight in the hospital yet my 90 year old mum in law had hers by local and home the same day.  Sooo embarrassing, but there you go!

With the varifocals I can't shift focus fast enough to keep focus on the clay, just an involuntary glance at the bead and the Clay's gone. It's terrible at close range as I cant hit anything, yet at long range when I can adjust - more time, I hit 'most' of what I shoot at.

It's all things to work on for me. I seem to be able to drop the clays that my son and friends find hard, yet am consistently poor at the 'easy' ones. We where on simulated game and the clays came as random pairs.

We're planning to shoot skeet this weekend to practice on crosses. 

I may go back to no glasses till my new ones are ready. 

With the looking at the bead thing, to stop it I consciously refocus my eyes out to where I will first see the target before calling pull.  I shoot gun up, so I always check that mount is correct and I'm looking straight down the rib, refocus and then call.  That way I know I'm pointing my gun where I'm looking and I then only need to be aware of the barrel peripherally to judge the lead I need.

With the looking at the bead thing, to stop it I consciously refocus my eyes out to where I will first see the target before calling pull.  I shoot gun up, so I always check that mount is correct and I'm looking straight down the rib, refocus and then call.  That way I know I'm pointing my gun where I'm looking and I then only need to be aware of the barrel peripherally to judge the lead I need.
I'll try that👍

Picked up my new single vision distance glasses now
May I suggest that you wear them for a while before you shoot to get you eyes used to them. I found that if I put mine on at least 10-15mins prior to the shoot I am then used to them before shooting. Ahem, at one club it is before the breakfast and then I shoot 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, what a differance, I've been wearing them to walk the dogs in a morning but today put them on prior to going shooting.

Went to shoot a 50 bird, 1st stand dropped 1. 2nd stand over thought it while waiting and missed the first pair. After that only missed one more. Missed out the last stand due to excess queuing and took my 6 year old grandson on the beginners with the .410. He fired 10 and unfortunately this week missed. Last week he had 2 out of 6.

Returned to the next to last stand to use up my ammo as there was still queuing for the last stand. Hit the first and as I missed the second, grandson working the traps,  his little voice piped up "Well in front grandad, you're thinking again"

Six years old🤔

After that I missed everything! 🙄😁

Happy to report the single vision distance works for me and I'll stick with it.

Back