Travelling with gun by plane for 1st time ( advise please)hih

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Hi folks, haven't been on here for a while but thought this would be a good place to get some advice.

Im travelling to jersey on Wednesday through birmingham airport to represent wales at the home international on Saturday. This is the first time for me travelling by plane with a gun, so I'm a bit apprehensive. 

My question is, when I get to the airport do I check my gun in first? Or my Luggage? 

Dont want to cause myself any hassle by going about it the wrong way. The gun is booked on the plane and I have all the relevant paperwork. 

Any advise from you seasoned travellers is greatly appreciated

Go straight to the check in, while you're there check your luggage in, tell them that you have your gun they should be aware that you are coming if you have the paperwork and have notified them, someone should come and check it in. Not totally sure on the customs side, as this i presume this is an internal fight to the channel Islands.                               Not  a seasoned traveler, not with a gun anyway(once). Hope this helps, I'm sure more experienced will be along to give you a few more pointers.

Are you shooting in the Welsh team at the home Internationals....If so good luck mate. 

Long time no see.... probably bump into you at the gold cup.

Alritey,

When u get 2 the airport, just go and check in as normal, tell them ur travelling with a firearm, then a customs officer will come to the desk, normally take u 2 a different area, check ur paperwork out and take the gun from u and load it on the plane, you,ll then pick up the gun from the customs office in jersey.

everytime I've travelled its not been a problem, I would say tho get to check in when it opens cos the process can sometimes take upto an hour

see you over there

Thanks for your reply chaps, that's what I thought but wasn't sure (never to proud to ask). 

Tiptop, how are you mate? Yes shooting for Wales in the sporting home international,

We've run the English close a few times, this time we could cause an upset

Im shooting the white gold on the Sunday morning so hope to see you for a catch up

CIC, who you shooting for ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing is WHO are you flying with? some airlines DON'T take guns.  You should have booked the guns online under sports equipment subcatargorie shotguns

The airline would then already know, If you are on Easyjet no problem but get there early because you have to book it in with Easjet then wait for them to get someone tt take you to get it X rayed etc., All London airports are a pile of sh*t to travel with a gun avoid them like the plague.

Travelling with flybe guru,and yes gun is already booked on the plane (£30) each way,

just wasn't sure of the right way to go about things when in the terminal,

hope it's as simple as people say, but have heard some horror stories and read some on here about airports

Thanks for your reply chaps, that's what I thought but wasn't sure (never to proud to ask). 

Tiptop, how are you mate? Yes shooting for Wales in the sporting home international,

We've run the English close a few times, this time we could cause an upset

Im shooting the white gold on the Sunday morning so hope to see you for a catch up

CIC, who you shooting for ?
I'm afraid I,ll be shooting against you, for England, should be a good crack, last couple in jersey have been good shoots but def on the tough side, also the only place I,ve ever shot targets below my feet over the sea!

Yeah, some of the lads have said the birds over the sea are interesting, and that it's a good trip, really looking forward to it and hope I can continue the form that got me in the team

what's your name? Is it mr childerhouse ? You don't have to say, but thanks for taking the time to reply whoever you are, look forward to seeing you there and having the crack

Ok Pete, if you see me please introduce yourself, I gather by your location your shooting for the opposition too. Best of luck, see you there

It is, no probs, c u both there Friday, looking 4ward 2 it

Before you take off, make the cabin crew aware you have a firearm booked on and ask if its loaded, because they are good at forgetting them, I got a Milan flight held for 30 minutes as they had forgotten my gun...   that was flybe from Manchester

Thanks mutley, good point, don't know what I'd do if the gun doesn't turn up at the same time or place as me

Travelling with flybe guru,and yes gun is already booked on the plane (£30) each way,

hope it's as simple as people say, but have heard some horror stories and read some on here about airports
Ashley

I flew with Flybe to France for the UT Europeans in June and they were very good at Birmingham. All very simple. Good advice to check your gun is on-board.

Just make sure you have your licence ! 

Good luck

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Flew out from Southend airport to Portugal and returned to Gatwick last week both by easyjet.No hassle at all and only added 15 mins to check in  process. Gun was sitting in "red" customs area on return and quick check of licence and  and off we went.

Birmingham Airport is a bit different. I have been through there a lot with a shotgun.

You need to print off and fill in 3 copies of the Flybe firearms declaration form (for each leg). Do that before you get there, saves time. Don't forget, or it gets a lot worse as they need to find forms. Tell them you have a firearm first. They will need to check you have your certificate and the flight documents. They need to find firearms tags etc and this can mean they have to call someone in the office to bring it down. This can take 10-15 minutes if you are unlucky.

Inspecting the shotgun and documentation is unique to flybe Birmingham. They do not use customs, either their senior member of staff will do it (very rare) or they call the police and two armed officers will turn up and do it (more delay). They will use the office next to the oversize baggage desk (at the left hand end of the line of check in desks) and will check serial numbers in there before it goes to x-ray at the oversized baggage desk.

It's a pain, it's inefficient and it varies from what other airports/airlines do.  There will be a delay while you wait for at least someone to turn up possibly two delays - make sure you have allowed extra time for this. It does seem to work but tries the patience.

Coming back in you may find your gun coming round the carousel (about 50% of the time). Otherwise a guy will turn up at the airside entrance with your gun in 15 minutes or so.

Many thanks for your post chanonry , fully intend to get there in plenty of time and have printed off the forms already, (will fill them in later).  We fly at 11am so gonna be there for 8-8.30, get it all sorted, breakfast, and relax ( I hope )

cheers

£30 each way??? Jesus, did you book it a seat and lunch??

Back