Top Vehicle for the Job in Hand

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenPresley

So troopers......thought I would throw this one out there seeming as the weather has been pretty bad over the pond! ;-)

I have been lucky enough to have been driven in numerous off road vehicles and even some 4X4's not so off road.

So what is your choice for getting to the pheasies or out on the pigeons? Maybe you have a series of vehicles for different tasks? Lamping in your L200 and the good old landrover for the pigeons in winter?

Glen.

I have got stuck in plenty :)

If it is for posing........ Rangey with the full booze box. (but can get stuck if you test it too hard) (Wink)

If it is for getting through anything in something that is cheap (but no longer available ) then you could not beat the Isuzu Trooper......mine looked like it had done 10 years in Beirut. Never broke down, never got stuck in mud or going through 'big' rivers with water swishing in, and most essential when I lived on the moor.......it was a brilliant snow plough.

Defo not my current incumbent the Touareg ......it is crap off road......brilliant on motorways ....but crap off road. (Been down a coombe backwards in mine............now that was an experience.......good job that concrete water feeder was there to stop me at the bottom....Eeeeeek!)?...but I love it xxxx

Last edited:
I have a Grand Cherokee as my Winter car.

Set of Mud Terrains and it goes anywhere.

Sorned until November though.

I got stuck in the car park at Meon Springs my road car is rubbish.

Best off-road car I have ever driven is an SWB Land Rover, will go up, over, down and through anything... in all weather. Having said that, my current road car is pretty good in fields (didn't suffer at all at Meon Springs)

I've an X5 at the moment, best car I've ever had for motorways etc, awful off road so I'm changing it for a Range Rover !

ive had two x trails and so far theyve got me out of plenty fields - plenty of vids on youtube

Swb Toyota landcruiser 3lt auto.

Went through everything from floods to muddy cattle fields.

Used it for towing, clay shoots, pigeon shoots, fox shooting , game shooting.

Cracking motor but you need the right tyres.

Disco 1 300tdi, with Bridgestone A/Ts on. November last, the old girl was bezzing up and down hills in the soaking muddy wet with 4 guns, all our kit, and 60 odd pheasant, whilst two new Vogues, a Disco 4, and the L200 were stuck or struggling.

I spoke to soon - my car got royally stuck in mud at Hicknaham Farm today, had a tense 5 minute trying to reverse and go forward to try and get through some deep mucky stuff. That'll learn me!

Best off-road car I have ever driven is an SWB Land Rover, will go up, over, down and through anything... in all weather. Having said that, my current road car is pretty good in fields (didn't suffer at all at Meon Springs)
Can agree with that had two when I was young, the Hilux can do the same in comfort, now driving a Vogue diesel - enough said !!! :)

one of these posh lamping trucks :D

article-2175390-141BEC3D000005DC-803_636x422.jpg

Back