Tighter chokes and bigger shot - long term improved accuracy?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how you can put a constriction measurement against a required ratio across the board so to speak... 
You can't, but we need a baseline so CYL is 40% (ideally and theoretically) and Full is 70%, neither is actually achievable with any degree of true accuracy but as an academic percentage it's good enough.

I like to shoot Full & Full for sporting and Sk & IC for skeet.

I practice some times Full & Full on skeet and enjoy seeing clays disappear but when it comes to comps I'd always open up in skeet! Why disadvantage yourself, I'd have 100 chips over 99 balls of dust!

Sporting however, Full & Full always

steel 9's skeet

lead 7.5 sporting
so if you open up for skeet, why don't you open up for a close crosser which is identical to a skeet target?? Or is skeet your first love, and you just shoot the sporting for fun.

I've been shooting just over a year and started on Skeet and love it.

You're spot on, Skeet is my preferred discipline and fitasc, sporting, sport trap is what I shoot for fun!

Skeet isn't about your shooting ability as they are basic targets where as the other disciplines really require some great shooting ability at times but I like to chase the number and for me its a complete head game (concentration/repetition)

Bob Brister commented that every choke is a full choke at the distance it is intended to be shot - that is it meets that full choke/40"pattern criteria.

Labeling choke is pretty arbitrary and the only way you know what you really have is the pattern board.  The only tests that are meaningful are the ones made with YOUR gun.  Hype is the very life blood of shooting gizmos.

but to the question - it seems to me that bigger shot size than 7 serves no real purpose except to be different.  So I guess my thot would be "what's the point?" and if everybody is shooting the same thing "WGAF?"  If you're shooting in GB with 6 1/2s and go somewhere else where only 7s are allowed you will be mind fooked for no reason other than whim or fad.  You'd deserve it

I never cease to be amazed how creative people can be at screwing themselves.  You......are......not......Digweed        get over it

JMO of course

Merry Christmas, All

Charlie

PS - this afternoon the last round I shot was from the 25yd line, 24x25 with #5/0.020" choke 72cm barrel 40 year old Perazzi using  24gm reloads of reclaimed shot.  It's a shotgun, folks and under 100yds just about anything works.  

Well, if you use a Perazzi anyway

Back