The snake!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Has returned! the could not make it stick with UT so the have plagiarized skeet !  New from FITASC and the brain child of Plonkarse we give you skeet universal... you could not make this sh*te up!

https://www.fitasc.com/fr/news/2149/5/

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the point of that?  The whole point of being on semi-circle is that it changes the angle of the targets so you're shooting going away, incomers and crossers.  Reducing the variety and making you take turns for each stand is going to make skeet as boring and long-winded as trap is (and it isn't all that exciting to start with). 

What's the point of that?  The whole point of being on semi-circle is that it changes the angle of the targets so you're shooting going away, incomers and crossers.  Reducing the variety and making you take turns for each stand is going to make skeet as boring and long-winded as trap is (and it isn't all that exciting to start with). 
Well it was ploknerarses idea to have the snake for UT but it was rejected and now he has the same idea for skeet many people waiting in line to shoot their round... he reckons to have them shooting a round of skeet universal in 13 minutes !

The snake is used in compak,successful from what i heard.Trap shooting particulary,struggles to get people to try it, with the time constraints and limited entry's catered for,so im all in favour of trying to make it more viable(more people more money for the ground) maybe the snakes not the answer for trap but the way it is set up now it will never get anywhere near sporting entries.This skeet thing looks ridiculous though.

Has returned! the could not make it stick with UT so the have plagiarized skeet !  New from FITASC and the brain child of Plonkarse we give you skeet universal... you could not make this sh*te up!

https://www.fitasc.com/fr/news/2149/5/
Just for the tally books,  what is the "snake".

The link needs you to sign in.

One of the places I shoot the 2 skeet ranges are always empty or at the most maybe 2 people using them. I often use them to practice my crosses. If I step back a few yards I can shoot Compaq on the first one. Again little use. The other stands are always busy and a small wait required.

Just trying to further my education as I don't shoot in competitions. 

Just for the tally books,  what is the "snake".

The link needs you to sign in.

One of the places I shoot the 2 skeet ranges are always empty or at the most maybe 2 people using them. I often use them to practice my crosses. If I step back a few yards I can shoot Compaq on the first one. Again little use. The other stands are always busy and a small wait required.

Just trying to further my education as I don't shoot in competitions. 
As far as I'm aware the snake is a one on one off system instead of 5 on 5 off. Effectively its a constant stream of shooters going through. So with sportrap instead of 5 of you going on as a squad and each starting in a cage from 1 to 5, you go in 1 at a time into cage 1 and then move through to 5.

As far as I'm aware the snake is a one on one off system instead of 5 on 5 off. Effectively its a constant stream of shooters going through. So with sportrap instead of 5 of you going on as a squad and each starting in a cage from 1 to 5, you go in 1 at a time into cage 1 and then move through to 5.
Thanks, I've never seen a competition but understand the basics.

For me Skeet is somewhere to practice quietly on my own and if I want to work off just one stand or two, that's ok as there's never a queue. 

I'm new to the sport and have been shooting mostly sporting, but a new ground by me has quite a few dtl/skeet/abt.

You want to see if you can get a go when there is a full squad on the skeet, I've tried it a couple of times now and find it very enjoyable,takes a while to sort out high house low house but their always very helpful to a newbie there

The snake is used in compak,successful from what i heard.Trap shooting particulary,struggles to get people to try it, with the time constraints and limited entry's catered for,so im all in favour of trying to make it more viable(more people more money for the ground) maybe the snakes not the answer for trap but the way it is set up now it will never get anywhere near sporting entries.This skeet thing looks ridiculous though.
It hasn't been ditched for UT, the snake system is still lurking in the background, and Palinkas is very keen for it to be used for a major championships.

Issues with the snake system for UT are:

1. Major building alterations to the physical structure of all the shooting layouts to be used to enable the queue to enter adjacent to stand 1 and exit adjacent to stand 5.

2. The electronic computer control boxes will need to be updated to enable the traps to run continuously but still throw the individual schemes for each competitor.

3. Electronic score reporting with a visual display in each layout will be required linked to the shoot admin office, as there'll only be a master scoresheet held in each layout, no squad scorecard as now.  

4. As there will be no natural break at squad changeover times which currently allows for trap reloading, there'll need to be halts introduced to the snake to allow a trapper to enter the traphouse to reload.  Don't think a trapper loading whilst shooting is taking place would meet H&S regulations, especially if an accident occurred. 

5. Currently in the UK for registered shoots either three or two shooters stay behind after shooting to referee the following squad.  That'll finish and the ground will need to supply three referees to run each layout.  One to control the shooter entering onto stand one, one to actually determine kills and losses and the other to maintain the master scoresheet  and get shooters to sign it, and deal with queries. 

6. I don't know of any shooting ground owner who'll be prepared to cough up the money to pay for up front costs of the above, with little of no chance or ever recouping the outlay. 

These are the points that were discussed during my time as a member of the FITASC Technical Commission 2005 -2014.

It hasn't been ditched for UT, the snake system is still lurking in the background, and Palinkas is very keen for it to be used for a major championships.

I did not know that Phil. Do you know that all the time this was being discussed on here and possibly throughout shooting circles in the UK I never once heard it even mentioned down here! I do not think it would catch on for the very reasons you have highlighted here... not that HSE considerations figure highly in French shooting  :lol:

2. The electronic computer control boxes will need to be updated to enable the traps to run continuously but still throw the individual schemes for each competitor.
Totally aside from the general braindead thesis of the scheme the potential for screw-up with the above is likely beyond estimation!

May I be the first to wish you all the very best of Foo King Luck (that's a special Chinese luck) if/when it is implemented

Think he ment in comparison
Very difficult to compare oranges and lemons. A system that may suit one discipline, won't necessarily suit another. 

Compak which generally has the shooting stands in the open air and Universal Trench which is shot with the shooting stands under cover, mostly with three sides, are as different as chalk and cheese. 

Palinkas wants to increase numbers, he's been told by the UT Technical Commission, most of whom are also competitors so are in touch with reality, the way to do it is to revert back to four layout grounds and shoot over four days, reduce the entry fee not only for competitors but the licence fee to hold the event too and reintroduce prize money or sponsored prizes.  There is no interest among UT shooters in this country, or the other main players such as France and Italy, to go down the snake route. Most of us, certainly here also shoot OT and ABT which are also squadded disciplines.  The FEDECAT trap disciplines which are a bastardised version of UT have significantly also failed to gain a following here. We're happy with UT as it is.

That should have read ....compak sporting.......... that will teach me to look at what my iPad is substituting...doh

We're happy with UT as it is.

This is the thing Phil I have not heard anybody complain about the current way UT is shot down here. I shoot the big competitions down he both the internationals and the domestic ones. When the bigger competitions are shot in France they are always held over four days, as you say, I have never heard anybody complain. If I may say, because I am not that long in the game, I thought the whole reason for UT was the simplicity of 5 traps in a relatively small house. The cost is considerable less than OT and so clubs can afford to make at least two setups and run fairly decent sized club events. The club I shoot at has one UT and one OT but the OT is very rarely used mainly because UT is the standard for small clubs all the comps are UT. Also in France you need two different licenses. It is a shame our club has not the room for four setups we have the traps  :lol:  

Once again I would like to remind you all that tho you have some minor problems you at least have the games.  ABT, UT, and even OT for that matter to an extent, are unknown here in the US.  There are OT facilities, a few, but to my knowledge not UT or ABT anywhere here.

Count your blessings

Back