tennis/shooters elbow?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HankBomb

Been having a lot of pain in my right elbow, didn't go shooting yesterday hurts to even lift a mug of tea.

Anyone else get problems with elbow pain?

been shooting for about a year without problem, can't understand why it has appeared? shooting related, I don't know, but it's a pain non the less.

any tips?

You are lucky - we have an expert here @ will be along soon to help for sure. 

He advised me - and gave me some really good advice.

I also bought one of these : McDavid Tennis Elbow Brace - which really helped. The difference between this and the ones you get at Boots etc, is that this has TWO pads - so it squeezes the muscle that generates the pain.... I wore it all the time for about a month and the pain subsided.

Nick will tell you that the condition is self limiting, and it goes away - but that doesn't help you in the meantime,  and there are things you can do to reduce the pain. 

Not normally an issue associated with shooting, as far as I am aware. More likely to be Tennis, Badminton or Golf type activities.

Do you play other sports?

As for helping the problem, I would initially recommend applying some Max Strength Voltarol. 

Malc, I got mine from the action of breaking the gun.... pulling the foreend down generated the pain.   Now, I twist the gun a little more and I haven't had any recurrence. 

Blimey Matt - I would never have thought of that.

Hope Hank gets it sorted though. Have suffered a bit due to golf over the years, and it is unpleasant.

Not normally an issue associated with shooting, as far as I am aware. More likely to be Tennis, Badminton or Golf type activities.

Do you play other sports?

As for helping the problem, I would initially recommend applying some Max Strength Voltarol. 
And actually mine was only because of shooting. The grip was too small. Only cured it when i increased the grip by adding tennis wrap. Now with the evocomp i had a especially wide grip built in.

I have this at the moment. Had it about 6 weeks, been shooting for about 5 yrs, no problems. Started when I bought a rather stock heavy DT10. Is manageable with a Boots strap thingy.

DT10 now sold and new one acquired that is far better balanced.

All great advice, but none of these have actually addressed the serious issue that you mentioned.

Get one of these mate and I hope you get better soon. No tea? That is no way to live dude . . . 

drink%20straw3_render.jpg2a437fb8-295a-4d2c-8f88-6fcf507b005eLarge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got By-lateral tennis elbow (in both elbow's) and it's bloody painful more so this time of year. This was caused through my job. I was lifting heavy objects the wrong way. The Doc said they don't do Quarter-zone injections any more for tennis elbow (Some Med reason) and now I'm having prob's with mi wrist's now (Keep it clean now  :spiteful: ) I'll have a look for those braises. 

I got By-lateral tennis elbow (in both elbow's) and it's bloody painful more so this time of year. This was caused through my job. I was lifting heavy objects the wrong way. The Doc said they don't do Quarter-zone injections any more for tennis elbow (Some Med reason) and now I'm having prob's with mi wrist's now (Keep it clean now  :spiteful: ) I'll have a look for those braises. 
I had a "Quarter-Zone" injection for it a few months back, it cleared it for a while, but it came back in a slightly different spot! What's that up there, a lung worm?

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

I struggled with tennis elbow a few years ago. My understanding is that it's caused by damage/fraying to the end of the tendon, which releases a fluid around the joint and it's that which causes the pain. On the whole, I would avoid any kind of injection as that just masks the problem. (I'm not too sure how it's spelt either :sarcastic:  ) 

Im certainly no expert, but I was told it's better to try and avoid the cause and allow the injury to heal. also there are simple exercises that seemed to help me. 

Hope you get it sorted soon, I know it's annoying and can be quite uncomfortable. 

evening all..... i thought my ears were burning...

Basically, tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis as it's known is an injury that is caused by repetition and as shooting is very repetitive, quite common. It is where the tendons that attach to the bony bit in the elbow become inflammedirritated (different views in the medical world on this). As Nicola suggested, changing the grip can help (tennis players and cricketers often put more than one grip on their rackets and bats to help this). Also, like Matt suggested, a brace can help if you get the correct one and also if you fit it correctly. Physio (exercises - strengtheningstretches) are advised to help move the condition on. Anti inflammatories (gel if you can't take tablets) are also useful as is using an ice cube to massage the area post exerciseactivity. Again, as Matt said, it is a self limiting condition that will eventually go away but by changing the grip, using the NSAIDS, Ice massage, exercises you can speed up the healing process and relieve some of the symptomspain.

Cortisone injections are still used but I find that it can get rid of the pain temporarily but you have not really addressed the problem...... You need to ask yourself why you have the problem and how can you make any changes that will prevent it from coming back.

Happy to answer individuals queries, please PM as it can get a bit confusing on an open thread....

Last edited by a moderator:
I struggled with tennis elbow a few years ago. My understanding is that it's caused by damage/fraying to the end of the tendon, which releases a fluid around the joint and it's that which causes the pain. On the whole, I would avoid any kind of injection as that just masks the problem. (I'm not too sure how it's spelt either :sarcastic:  ) 

Im certainly no expert, but I was told it's better to try and avoid the cause and allow the injury to heal. also there are simple exercises that seemed to help me. 

Hope you get it sorted soon, I know it's annoying and can be quite uncomfortable. 
spot on

evening all..... i thought my ears were burning...

Basically, tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis as it's known is an injury that is caused by repetition and as shooting is very repetitive, quite common. It is where the tendons that attach to the bony bit in the elbow become inflammedirritated (different views in the medical world on this). As Nicola suggested, changing the grip can help (tennis players and cricketers often put more than one grip on their rackets and bats to help this). Also, like Matt suggested, a brace can help if you get the correct one and also if you fit it correctly. Physio (exercises - strengtheningstretches) are advised to help move the condition on. Anti inflammatories (gel if you can't take tablets) are also useful as is using an ice cube to massage the area post exerciseactivity. Again, as Matt said, it is a self limiting condition that will eventually go away but by changing the grip, using the NSAIDS, Ice massage, exercises you can speed up the healing process and relieve some of the symptomspain.

Cortisone injections are still used but I find that it can get rid of the pain temporarily but you have not really addressed the problem...... You need to aks yourself why you have the problem and how can you make any changes that will prevent it from coming back.

Happy to answer individuals queries, please PM as it can get a bit confusing on an open thread....

I had a Cortisone injection into my shoulder last week I'm happy to say it achieved SFA except making me feel rather ill!

I had the same and it lasted from December 2012 to March 2013. I'm right handed and it was in my left elbow and I'm convinced it was caused by opening/closing my gun.

Ed Solomon's did recommend someone but in the end I just took a break from shooting (the weather was so awful until March last year anyaway) so it didn't bother me 'too' much.

Then one day in March it basically disappeared as quickly as it came on with no treatment, although I'm sure it could have been speeded up had I seen someone.

It was very painful and I honestly thought it would never get better, but it does....it just make take a few weeks.

it can take up to 12 months unfortunately but everyone is different. Physio can help speed it up and also give you ways of preventing it from coming back (well, a good physio would...)

Back