SWSG Friday 100 Sporting Competition

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noooooo, please, no more!   :banghead:

We did this to death months ago, and the only thing that happened was some people got upset, some became abusive, some went into a corner and cried for their Mummy (that was me) at the stupidity of some other people who don't seem to understand English...yet more people went to all the houses of C class shooters and demanded money with menaces (or in other words, insisted that we fund their hobby by always going Comp, not B/O).

So please, I'm begging you...don't make me cry again!  :triniti:

So as a C Class shooter.....your eyes are already on shooting for money.....??

Rather than shooting many varied types of shooting grounds......and building up different target skills for the memory banks...??

Can I possibly suggest that you don't think of the money just yet. Best to just get on and learn the sport :smile:

I agree Nicola. (Wow).

Trouble is, the present system of class shooting promotes lower class wins, so that is what everybody expects now. C class can be a career!

Personally, I agree with incentivising and rewarding beginners, but to a reasonable extent. Personally, I do feel it is wrong where, for example, I could hit 86 and get nothing or £20 for a lower place, while a C class shot might win £150 for his 73.

Many views on this and this could become a 20 page thread.. But I would advocate class wins, but slightly lower pot for lower classes, to at least give things a perspective and recognise that higher class shots have put a lot into getting up there.

But, as the original poster will find out, to make a shoot work financially, you may have to just do what the clients want, rather than what seems morally right.

Think about it logically. Everybody pays the same entry fee (assuming comp entry). So, does that entitle everybody to a return? Just give them all the £5 back then. It is all about being better than the other entrants, otherwise it isn't a competition. C class competitors who shoot regularly are not disadvantaged to AA shots who shoot as many cartridges per year, so why reward failure?

In reality, C class shots are either fairly new to it, or cannot find the time and money to shoot often. Fair enough, they should have a chance to compete with similar folk, but it just seems wrong that they can do BETTER out of it financially than those in higher classes shooting much higher score. Is any other sport set up like this?
I could reply to all of the about... But what’s the point, you have your views and I have mine and tbh I’ve got better things to do with my time (like shooting) than ware my fingers out typing answers’ to one and all’s comments. However I will say this... I’ve shoot at john’s ground and he puts on above average club targets and long may it continue, but for me to compete in a competition with no hope of even coming close to the top is completely pointless therefore I might as well practise at other grounds for less money.    

Thanks for all your comments.

I appreciate that the competition is ‘open’ so possibly one could take the view that the winner will probably be a more ‘able’ shooter - so you could interpret this as discriminating against the less able shooter – this was certainly not the intention. Introducing a new competition format is not easy to get absolutely right so we are keeping it simple for this first year to see how it goes.  Everyone still has to qualify for the final and it is on a Friday so we could be accused of discriminating against those who cannot shoot during the week. I’m afraid it is not a perfect world.

It would have been great to have classes for ‘AAA’ through to ‘C’ plus ladies, junior, novice, veterans, disabled, sxs, muzzle loaders and 410,s but unfortunately this just wasn’t possible.

At the end of this competition we will review what it is possible for us to put on effectively so; even if you can’t make it to one of our qualifiers; speak to Becky – let her know what you think and what you would like her to put on in the future. At 34p per clay it is little more than some grounds are charging for practice – so come and have a go if you can – you might get lucky and even if you don’t you will have had a day out, shooting some different clays, without it costing a fortune.

As far as future competitions go - if we can, we will - but at the end of the day it has to be practical and viable.

John

Latest posts

Back