Swallowed the Pill(a)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After having Rangers for years, (and they were good, easy to change lens etc) when I was at a shoot a few weeks ago and struggled to see a particular target, the hubby with his Pilla’s saw them all the way and told me to get a set.  I honestly struggled to make sense of spending that much money on a set of glasses I will wear probably 2-3 times a month.  Then a few days later, I had to take my dad to the hospital to get results of tests he’d had done to be told he’s got stage 4 lung cancer with no chance of and treatment and talking of hospices etc.  My dad was actually fine about it, he’s been ill for a long time but it made me think a bit so came home looked Phil in the eye and said I want a pair of Pilla’s!! Life’s too short to waste it.  So last week we went to Starkey Headsets (Tom was excellent by the way), and several hundreds of pounds later came away with the Panther X7, lens I chose were 40CN, 44CMX, 60CHCW and 60CHCP, the later one is not in stock so on order, also as I wear prescription glasses had to get the inserts which I then took to SpecSaves who done them for £39 in 2 days.  We are at Barrow tomorrow so first time wearing them, I just hope I can hit something to justify the cost! If not, at least I’ll look cool in my pretty pink lens!  I also managed to sell the Rangers with all the lenses which covered a little bit of the cost!!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad Donna, these things put money matters into perspective, if you can afford them why not. I just purchased a gun on a whim when finding out a good friend of mine just lost his wife and a week later his son to Covid, as you say lifes too short

My sympathies! 

I agree with the "life is too short" strategy wholeheartedly. Then again, a month can be long when funds are short, but luckily I have no cause for complaints. 

@donna - 40 CN and 44 CMX seem pretty close in terms of "available light" in the spectrum of lenses , as do the 60CHCW and the "60CHCP"  (meaning the 62CHCP?). Curious as to the reason / preferences. 

I'm on the fence about buying something similar to the 62CHCP, possibly the 64CB or the 80HC for when the light is low and the higher contrast would help. Will you post how you get on with the yellow lense (if that is the one you ordered)?

Either way, enjoy them and smash some clays looking the part.   

I tried so many colours!  Being an older lady nearing 60 I need more light and funnily enough what works for the hubby didn’t work for me. My trouble is seeing targets against trees/hedges etc so I went for the 40 CN as it neutralises green and the pink/orange stands out against it, the 44 cmx again medium light but gives the orange maximum boost making them stand out, the 60 chcw again, really good in open fields and woods and the 60 chcp is identical to the 62 gives a very high co trust on cloudy days which are a problem for me.  However, after using them for the first time yesterday, I had a problem.  I chose the Panthers and I had no problem with the lens, I could see everything g through them but I have prescription inserts and in the panthers the insert was too far away from the lens which distorted my view and when I shot, the clays were hazy and blurry.  I tried moving them up and down on each stand but it didn’t change.  After 6 stands I ended up taking them off and using my “normal” every day glasses.  Out of the first 58 I dropped 31 targets, on the next 42 after changing I dropped 10.  I was devastated!  I am now going to change to the Outlaw X7 (hubby has the 6) as the insert is stable and much closer to the lens.  

I really like the fit and field of vision that the Outlaw X-s offer, so I hope you won't be disappointed. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back