steel chalenge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah point taken , but the shooting governing bodies must consult us the members / shooters  before any decision is made on steel shot !!    
I don't think it will be upto governing bodies.  I think we will be facing an outright lead ban in the future.  There was studies commissioned by the EU to prove the damage lead had on environment, wildlife and its toxicity  when the studies proved no such thing  they commissioned more.  

I don't think it will be upto governing bodies.  I think we will be facing an outright lead ban in the future.  There was studies commissioned by the EU to prove the damage lead had on environment, wildlife and its toxicity  when the studies proved no such thing  they commissioned more.  
Funny they seem to use that policy on a lot of other things in the EU, keep going to they get the result they want 😂

I am sure when push comes to shove. The cartridge companies will be producing a reasonably priced steel cartridge with eco wads. If they dont they will go out of business simple as that.

We can kick and rail all we want but the days of pumping lead and plastic into the environment are numbered.
Oh good, I shall await United Utilities replacing mine (and a hell of a lot of others) lead water service pipe some time soon............I shall not hold my breath  !

I think that the Supermarkets and lead in game birds are somehow behind this one.

I think that the Supermarkets and lead in game birds are somehow behind this one.
Which actually makes me laugh . Apart from the odd one sold at Waitrose I can’t see anything labelled as “ may contain shot “ being a big seller at any supermarket . In an era where the average shopper thinks chickens are bred to develop breadcrumbs not feathers I doubt anyone can market game  to the general public as an everyday food . 

The real answer is pretty simple , keep bag numbers down to a level that can be taken by the guns , beaters , pickers up , and placed locally . If you don’t have an outlet for it , don’t shoot it .  

Of course that would scupper the big commercial shoots … 

I can recall 25 years ago, having to rearrange some sporting stands to avoid ANY possibility of lead shot fallout dropping onto young cabbage plants. The reason......the entire crop was going to Tesco's and even 1 pellet found in a cabbage would end the contract with the grower. If we failed to comply, we would lose the ground.

Oh good, I shall await United Utilities replacing mine (and a hell of a lot of others) lead water service pipe some time soon............I shall not hold my breath  !

I think you will find that all lead waterpipes have been replaced. The only bits that have not is the section that runs over your own property which is your own responsibility. I had this out with water companies some time ago and had to pay this myself. You will find that if you ever build an house all utilities are just layed to your boundary and the last bit is down to yourself.  So wait as long as you like but it will not get replaced .

I think you will find that all lead waterpipes have been replaced. The only bits that have not is the section that runs over your own property which is your own responsibility. I had this out with water companies some time ago and had to pay this myself. You will find that if you ever build an house all utilities are just layed to your boundary and the last bit is down to yourself.  So wait as long as you like but it will not get replaced .
They have been doing this for years, as the hardest pipe to replace is the one going into your house, the government let them off the hook big time with that. Not their reponsability now it's a private company for some reason, I wonder why 😉 🤣. When it was nationalised the reponsability was to your indoor stopcock

Sorry but you are most certainly wrong. I speak from experience and as a time served Plumber and Gasfitter (albeit in the 1960's).  Most of the water MAINS pipes have either been replaced or 'lined' with plastic, but they were mainly steel anyway. In my previous property I paid to have my lead service pipe replaced with plastic, the main reason being was that U.U. use a 'mole drill' which involves minimal surface disturbance to the garden. The 'service' pipe is the bit that connects from the stopcock usually outside your property, to the stopcock inside your property. Without wishing to 'supervise' the lads carrying out the work, I stayed out of the way, but I took their tea out at just the right moment to see that they had simply connected the new plastic service pipe to the existing lead service pipe, leaving the old stopcock and a section of service pipe still in place. This was of course buried under the outside footpath, the new plastic stopcock now being under the metal cover fitted in the footpath. I challenged the Supervisor about this but was told that THAT was the accepted method of connection. Think about it, that lead goes right back to the main water pipe under the roadway. This was the main A570 road, to have to dig across the carriageway or even make a hole over the existing connection to the main, would involve roadworks of some substance, including temporary traffic lights, inputs from Highways agency, local Council and Emergency Services. I complained to U.U. and refused to pay, until I had a plastic pipe BACK to the existing Main. I never heard back from them or received a bill for the work. Now I don't believe for one minute that my property is unique in still having lead piping supplying my water, but U.U. are also serving out the male bovine fertiliser, that the rest of the 'anti lead brigade' are peddling and unfortunately a large number of shooters have been sucked in by it too.

At least the piece of pipe your responsable for is now plastic not lead 😁

Yes but am I to believe that I am going to die, due to the piece of lead that I am NOT responsible for  ??     😵
Well your still here 😂, the amount of other crap I've either worked in or breathed in during my working life is more worrying to me to be honest

ARE YOU SERIOUS   ??

Take BASC for example  !

This entire steel shot for game debacle was rolled out WITHOUT any consultation with the members.
i don't game shoot , only a member cpsa     but i expect to be consulted on the steel  debate  some  referendum  surely  ?  if I'm dictated to    they can  stick their membership !!! 

The only time any of the so called organisations will canvas members is when they wish to remind you your membership is due and how would you like to pay.grounds that promote steel only comps are as bad the sport is being given over to the antis giving in on lead is just the thin edge of the wedge.

i don't game shoot , only a member cpsa     but i expect to be consulted on the steel  debate  some  referendum  surely  ?  if I'm dictated to    they can  stick their membership !!! 
So what, if anything, have the CPSA had to say about this issue ?

I am a life member of BASC and I was a member of the CPSA too. I do NOT believe that any of our so called Organisations give a damn about the Membership, who just happen to keep them in a job. I was the County Rep. for the CPSA and wasted so many hours of my life driving to Harrogate (2 hour journey each way) each month to achieve ..........er NIL. After some 12 months of this I questioned what the hell I was doing and resigned the post !  From what I have seen so far from the CPSA, they have buried their heads in the sand and are hoping it will all go away. All I get from BASC is " Ah well, if we had not accepted this voluntary switch to( wait for it !) 'Sustainable Ammunition'  we would have had a complete ban put on us".  Er NO, let us all unite and fight this,  rather than roll over and take it lying down. It would seem that it is the Supermarkets that are running the show and we are being forced to dance to their tune. None of the small amount of Game that I shoot ever ends up in a Supermarket anyway, it is eaten by myself or my Family. But BASC has been successful in 'Brainwashing' a large proportion of the Membership into believing that this 'sustainable ammunition' is the way forward. I still talk to a lot of local Wildfowlers and to date NONE of them have ever encountered the vast numbers of dead birds that we are led to believe,  litter our shores. I worked with lead piping for years in the 60's and 70's and strangely enough I still have more brain cells left alive than some of the 'Ban Lead' brigade  !

I see in the Shooting Times today that the Scottish Gamekeepers Association remain unconvinced by the evidence when it comes to how humane and safe non-toxic loads are for Wildlife Management.  At last COULD this be the voice of reason  ?

Have a look in the dictionary for the meaning of 'sustain' or 'sustainable' makes me think that who ever thought up the phrase 'sustainable ammunition' at BASC is a non shooting person? 

BASC's new slogan should be 'Bend over whilst we shaft you '.

Maybe the reason BASC's HQ is at Marford Mill is so that they can grind us down . 

Have a look in the dictionary for the meaning of 'sustain' or 'sustainable' makes me think that who ever thought up the phrase 'sustainable ammunition' at BASC is a non shooting person? 

BASC's new slogan should be 'Bend over whilst we shaft you '.

Maybe the reason BASC's HQ is at Marford Mill is so that they can grind us down . 
yes, the 'sustainable ammunition' phrase makes sense now 😂

Back