Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was a great course. I was happy to only be two behind Argun over first 50, then fell away, especially on last layout where I just had a disbelief of the amount of lead needed for the fast low battue. (Had a trial pair at the end, no problem with a bunch more lead). Trashed my card.. I’ll go back for the next one I can make there for sure.
They have the Glous/Wilts County Championship shoot on Sunday 2nd September. Worth booking on to.

Yes, never could see the fairness in asking  someone  to travel hundreds of miles to shoot off against people they have already beat.A bit like people who want a second  vote on us leaving the EU having already lost the first.

Yes , a good point Tip top and both barrels, but just like Brexit , lets keep adding targets until we get the result we want.

Shoot the competition on any day that you can , and highest score wins , job done. Keeps the cost down and possibly would be for the good of the sport .

Lots of people now struggling with the economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem with qualifying days as such, but  do have an issue with people that can finish outside of the CLASS quota for that day. They can then qualify in CATEGORY for finals day, and then come back and win a CLASS medal. How can this happen, they were not good enough on the day to qualify to shoot for that medal, only for the category they qualified for surely.

In fact they shouldn't be allowed to take anything from the CLASS pot, medals or cash.

I would personally still like to see it first past the post wins.

Not for a couple of years. I think it’s still as ever, a decent set of targets, a bit softer than a registered shoot. Worth doing if you’re local and want a way into the feel of competitions.
Cheers. SO what exactly is a registered shoot and in what way is it likely to be tougher, apart from clays moving faster, which from my own limited experience is the only thing I can think is trickier as I appear to be pretty much okay with midis & battues and stuff cos I just shoot all the different shapes and sizes the same and seem to get roughly the same result across the board?

Cheers. SO what exactly is a registered shoot and in what way is it likely to be tougher, apart from clays moving faster, which from my own limited experience is the only thing I can think is trickier as I appear to be pretty much okay with midis & battues and stuff cos I just shoot all the different shapes and sizes the same and seem to get roughly the same result across the board?
A registered shoot has the scores registered with the CPSA. If you’re a member, you can see all your shoot scores online, they record and establish your average and classify you into class; C class lowest, AAA highest. This is what many shooters will shoot, almost exclusively. 

There is not a firm rule about targets at registered shoots, but most have lots of variety in all respects. Clay sizes, colours, presentations, distance. Generally the standard is a bit tougher to score highly on than casual open shoots, but not mad. In my opinion, a slow clay at long distance is one of the trickiest things to shoot, so it’s not all about speed! Try some! You don’t have to be a CPSA member to shoot them.

If you are not far from Bisley, then your nearest Reg shoot is probably Horne, Gatton bottom, near Reigate. It would be a good one to start on as a lot of the course is a bit easier than many shoots, especially for beginners as it doesn’t put on long targets much. But it’s fiddly as heck in places, so the top scores are about in line with other shoots. No booking, just turn up and buy a “targets only” entry card for £34. It’s on this bank hol Monday

Yes, never could see the fairness in asking  someone  to travel hundreds of miles to shoot off against people they have already beat.A bit like people who want a second  vote on us leaving the EU having already lost the first.
Its not everyones “cup ot tea” however it is the current format so if one has shot well enough to win a finals day in class etc Id like to think that for such an event as the BO everyone does have they chance to return.

As for politics, for one Id rather no one brings such onto a non-political forum 

A lot of open events and a lot of practice targets can indeed be “tough”  as for sporting clays under competition conditions, its difficult to put across how different pratice / play can be compared to the competition environment, its not simply the targets, however difficult the ones youve practiced on its until now youve shot at them as “play”, as WillH puts it, find a local CPSA comp and dip your toe, youll either 👍 it and be hooked or 👎 it and nowt I can offer will change that. 

Me? Im a true Clayaholic, thankfully a 😊 & contented with myself one.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself 

Yes , a good point Tip top and both barrels, but just like Brexit , lets keep adding targets until we get the result we want.

Shoot the competition on any day that you can , and highest score wins , job done. Keeps the cost down and possibly would be for the good of the sport .

Lots of people now struggling with the economy.
Also perhaps some may not be able to make the the  final's  shoot off as they are working.

All this negativety about the format, it may not suit some of you, but it's what the sponsors want. When they are ploughing the money and prizes in they want a spectacle, and they want people on the podium accepting their medals and prizes on the last day. The current format is the only way to get people to come back to accept the prizes and get the photos taken etc. I'm afraid if you want the prizes and the money you have to accept the format.

All this negativety about the format, it may not suit some of you, but it's what the sponsors want. When they are ploughing the money and prizes in they want a spectacle, and they want people on the podium accepting their medals and prizes on the last day. The current format is the only way to get people to come back to accept the prizes and get the photos taken etc. I'm afraid if you want the prizes and the money you have to accept the format.
Just out of curiosity who are the sponsors, and what are the sponsors prizes. Nothing much more than the norm I suspect. Most of the cash will be supplied by the entries, and I expect there maybe a few cartridges for the categories.

If you think the format is fair then fair play.

As you say, if you want to win it you have to be in it, me I'll give it a miss.

Lets make it professional they cry. :smile: :hyper:

A tad wet at Widdington this morning, great targets again set by Sean. All done and dusted by 11 o'clock, with no trap break downs. :smile:

Kegworth for us for promatic challenge.Missed the worst of rain by getting ass out of bed. Started around 10.30. finished by 12.15 . 15 stands / 120 targets. Was one of them shoots you felt you should have done better at. No rangy stuff at all. Anyone going tomorrow pack your skeet chokes. Did 101/120. Predict 118 will win. There's a straight out there if a superstar is on their game.......

Jasper.

Eriswell Lodge for the Premier League which I enjoyed - 12 stands.   Just a bit of rain at the end.  Three bad stands for me where of the 26 clays on offer I missed 16 of them!  One stand sim midi and standard which a board blocked me seeing them come and just couldn’t get my timing right so 2/10.  The other two stands 4/8 for both which just left 8 missed as I went round.  Three straights 26/26. The odd ones annoy me more because they are  odd ones or drop a last pair as I did today and have no idea why.   Did manage 3 of 4 teal which would normally throw me as it was not close and I struggle with those but missed the first and got the rest.

Eriswell Lodge for the Premier League which I enjoyed - 12 stands.   Just a bit of rain at the end.  Three bad stands for me where of the 26 clays on offer I missed 16 of them!  One stand sim midi and standard which a board blocked me seeing them come and just couldn’t get my timing right so 2/10.  The other two stands 4/8 for both which just left 8 missed as I went round.  Three straights 26/26. The odd ones annoy me more because they are  odd ones or drop a last pair as I did today and have no idea why.   Did manage 3 of 4 teal which would normally throw me as it was not close and I struggle with those but missed the first and got the rest.
I killed the first two pairs on that sim stand and only hit out one out of the next three pairs.

Latest posts

Back