Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad day today. Kent & Sussex Clubman League shoot at Stonestile Clay Shooting Club and the last shoot ever to be held there. It was one of the first clubs that I shot at when I started 5 years ago and has remained one of my favourite places to shoot, mainly because of the people I've got to know shooting there. I shall miss the Sunday morning laughs.
I was there as well and this was about my 5th shoot there as a newbee to East Sussex.  I will really miss it as I have already made a few very good friends there.  Thanks Ben for the enjoyable shoots.

Not a good day for me as my left eye kept taking over, I even tried to keep it shut on some stands.  I was tempted to shut them both by the end 😑

I was there as well and this was about my 5th shoot there as a newbee to East Sussex.  I will really miss it as I have already made a few very good friends there.  Thanks Ben for the enjoyable shoots.

Not a good day for me as my left eye kept taking over, I even tried to keep it shut on some stands.  I was tempted to shut them both by the end 😑
Keep in touch, a lot of the Stonestile crowd will be shooting together elsewhere and you're always welcome to tag along.  I expect that Mill Farm down at Pevensey will become a regular haunt, as well as Willow Farm over at Tenterden.

Any particular stands cause you problems?  Some deceptive targets today, I think a lot of people were fooled by angles on a couple of the targets today, with a lot of misses in front on Stands 1 and 3.

Not shot a lot recently and next sunday is out so was looking forward to 4 counties today. Glad I checked their facebook page whilst eating breakfast as the registered is cancelled and just a 50 bird sporting on.

Okay, so entered my first competition yesterday, shooting as part of the Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue team at Bisley in the Surrey Police 100 Bird Open Shoot and it was really good; lovely, friendly people there, a great atmosphere in lush surroundings and a fun shoot. This was the 5th time ever I've shot, 1st time with my newly bought 525, didn't score a blank on any of the 15 stands, and I scored 68 so I'm pleased with that and I'm guessing that's not too bad for a newbie. First time I've ever shot some of the type of clays they threw at you, one stand was having to go from directly in front in you to over your head and behind (said pheasants on the stand?), and nailed all three pairs so very happy about that one.

Looking forward to more of this. 😃👍
Got a couple of thanks for the above post... did you guys have anything to do with organising it at all then cos it's was really enjoyable?

Keep mulling over a couple of what I thought were easy ones which got away (I'd shoot 6 from the 4 pair but strangely miss the other two?!) which would have gotten me a 70 but there's always next time, no need to get stressed about it. 😊

I knew I should have gone to Honesberie today, but went with mates to Court Farm instead, which was as fiddly and edgey as I’ve ever known it, which is saying something. Most lead needed all day was a foot. I felt like the targets would have been better tackled with an air rifle. Just blew my mind and I started having self imposed trigger issues. I know it’s my fault for missing so many but it really feels like another sport there.. I was just about on for a score close to my average, then on last two stands missed another 4 with premature trigger pull and actually going behind 8 yard clays, for fear of further over leading. Weirdly, I would go and shoot the course again if it were on, just to practice this super fiddly stuff.

Honesberie was very good today. Some great variety. Few a bit wind affected. But same for everyone. Most importantly a very enjoyable shoot. Top marks.

Jasper.

Started out this morning at Court Farm and picked up my winnings from ladies class at Gatton Bottom last week.  As Will says, fiddly, but I didn't think it was any more so than usual.  I shot it fairly steadily, but dribbled away ones and two's pretty much all the way around to finish on a 76 (same as last weekend).  Don't think I'll be in contention for the ladies prize this week, reckon I dropped a few too many.

Then on to Dartford and a very long queue on the M25.  Much, much tougher shoot with a fair few distant targets needing lead and some very tricky sim pairs.  Only one stand that I would say both birds were soft on, everything else needed to be worked for.  Finished on a much lower 64, but from what I saw everyone's scores were down.

Court Farm for me and actually enjoyed the shoot having not been there for a while. I thought there was a reasonable mix. Went on to Dartford and found that pretty tough. Overall scores were low so it wasn’t just me. Did anyone straight stand 4? That appeared to be extreme range or I need new glasses!

Court Farm for me and actually enjoyed the shoot having not been there for a while. I thought there was a reasonable mix. Went on to Dartford and found that pretty tough. Overall scores were low so it wasn’t just me. Did anyone straight stand 4? That appeared to be extreme range or I need new glasses!
Which one was Stand 4?  The sim pair of teals?

Which one was Stand 4?  The sim pair of teals?
Extreme range? Must have been an illusion Mark.. nothing all day further than 30 yards, (the orange incomer in the corner) most of it half that. Looks harder as it’s mostly edge on. Was stand 4 the incoming looper over the tree and orange rising away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Extreme range? Must have been an illusion Mark.. nothing all day further than 30 yards, (the orange incomer in the corner) most of it half that. Looks harder as it’s mostly edge on. Was stand 4 the incoming looper over the tree and orange rising away?
Think he was talking about Dartford...

Durr.. yes sorry..

in my defence, there was a sim teal stand in the area of stand 4 at Court Farm!
There was, Stand 2. Much closer, less steep and slower. The one at Dartford started at least three time the distance out as the Horne pair. I managed a 5 from 8. Hit all the 1st ones by taking them before they'd peaked. 2nd bird was a loooong way out by the time I got to it and being orange wasn't that easy to see

Krieghoff shoot at Westfield today, quite windy more than I expected.  Good squad and I enjoyed it although I didn’t shoot particularly well.

Barbury Sportrap in the pleasant company of Will Hewland, Argun & Ceyla Ismet who all at times made the shoot look a lot easier than I found it. Only 4 in squad which caused a hiccup on one layout, that apart and despite my rather annoying habit to hang on too many times & let go unmolested the very few “gimmies” will say one enjoyed myself, 

Still some superstars to shoot think Argun 93 to go HG, the chap did shoot very well.

Barbury Sportrap in the pleasant company of Will Hewland, Argun & Ceyla Ismet who all at times made the shoot look a lot easier than I found it. Only 4 in squad which caused a hiccup on one layout, that apart and despite my rather annoying habit to hang on too many times & let go unmolested the very few “gimmies” will say one enjoyed myself, 

Still some superstars to shoot think Argun 93 to go HG, the chap did shoot very well.
I thought it was a great course. I was happy to only be two behind Argun over first 50, then fell away, especially on last layout where I just had a disbelief of the amount of lead needed for the fast low battue. (Had a trial pair at the end, no problem with a bunch more lead). Trashed my card.. I’ll go back for the next one I can make there for sure.

Started out this morning at Court Farm and picked up my winnings from ladies class at Gatton Bottom last week.  As Will says, fiddly, but I didn't think it was any more so than usual.  I shot it fairly steadily, but dribbled away ones and two's pretty much all the way around to finish on a 76 (same as last weekend).  Don't think I'll be in contention for the ladies prize this week, reckon I dropped a few too many.

Then on to Dartford and a very long queue on the M25.  Much, much tougher shoot with a fair few distant targets needing lead and some very tricky sim pairs.  Only one stand that I would say both birds were soft on, everything else needed to be worked for.  Finished on a much lower 64, but from what I saw everyone's scores were down.
First in ladies at Dartford, well done 👏

Anyone done the Bisley monthly open 100 at all? Know it's not a comp but it's my nearest ground and just curious as to how good it is or isn't?
Not for a couple of years. I think it’s still as ever, a decent set of targets, a bit softer than a registered shoot. Worth doing if you’re local and want a way into the feel of competitions.

Latest posts

Back