Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the shoots themselves and it’s brilliant where it has encouraged grounds to participate who would not have otherwise. WLSS even gave me a nice win! Bisley were there, but sadly dropped out. Just the actual league part I can’t really make sense of.. 120 entries today is an all time low?
Only 120?  I thought it would be busy, especially as Gatton Bottom was the quietest I think I've ever seen it.

Wasn’t barbury and Krieghoff on today as well? Too few individual scores count for your premier league team at each shoot so quite a few enter but don’t bother to attend after the first couple of shoots as they don’t contribute. A lot of miles driving to the various grounds and yet some home clubs have put a Reg shoot on when their team is meant to be competing away somewhere!! 

Wasn’t barbury and Krieghoff on today as well? Too few individual scores count for your premier league team at each shoot so quite a few enter but don’t bother to attend after the first couple of shoots as they don’t contribute. A lot of miles driving to the various grounds and yet some home clubs have put a Reg shoot on when their team is meant to be competing away somewhere!! 
Barbury, Perazzi and the shoot in Holland - busy.

You also have to take into account location,the possible weather and the fact that loads of people just do not like shooting at Southdown i know several shooters that will not go there and i can understand why "Southdown Breakdown" being commonly heard.

The none attendance by the CPSA is just a symptom of the complete lack of understanding that the company has of shooters ,i say company because it is now just about profit and not about the memberships experience....association only in name.

We haven't had many but our regional director hasn't turned up to a meeting in over 18 months,critical emails little else.

And we have a new CEO that is a "management consultant" so he will be all about the money......incidentally anyone seen or heard of him in the real world yet?

I enjoyed Southdown because I rarely shoot there, so it was “different” for me. There were a few no birds on the course. I saved stand 1 for last and when I got there they were replacing a trap, which they did fairly quickly but it took a good while for the frustrated scorer to badger the staff to get the target to be similar to before. Pretty sure it was never made as easy as before as I could see where the clays had landed earlier. I was glad to straight it after a big wait.

I couldn't do the Premier League as originally planned as I had to change shooting the Perazzi from Saturday to Sunday.  It was a very good shoot with plenty to catch you out.  I didn't shoot particularly well and the first course I just couldn't get my act together but just went out to enjoy it which I did.  It rained a little on and off but nothing major at least not for Wales.  It was good to be back home in Wales, a lot more green there.  

You also have to take into account location,the possible weather and the fact that loads of people just do not like shooting at Southdown i know several shooters that will not go there and i can understand why "Southdown Breakdown" being commonly heard.

The none attendance by the CPSA is just a symptom of the complete lack of understanding that the company has of shooters ,i say company because it is now just about profit and not about the memberships experience....association only in name.

We haven't had many but our regional director hasn't turned up to a meeting in over 18 months,critical emails little else.

And we have a new CEO that is a "management consultant" so he will be all about the money......incidentally anyone seen or heard of him in the real world yet?
I met him at the Game Fair, seemed like a nice chap. Didn’t have a proper conversation, just exchanged a few passing words; so no idea about his level of passion and drive for shooting. 

Back on topic...no shooting for me this weekend. Been exploring Romania and the Carpathian Mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's  personal  expectations that make people go on a downer after a shoot ! I once went to brookbank which is 300 miles away, I thought I shot sh*t, had a long drive home with a bottom lip like a Volvo bumper only to find a cheque  in the post a few days later.
Was THAT to stop you from going back  ?    :pleasantry:

Oh yeah, the other thing with the Prem League; CPSA keep not putting me in the team results. I told them after two shoots but have stopped bothering. Sigh..

As i have told them before if they had to run a real business where people don't just give you money they would have gone bankrupt very quickly!

Owls Lodge today, had been wet, thankfully dry & pleasant at 3pm, a band of 7, five of whom had K80’s, in my eyes they were lucky my Perazzi added some much needed gun glamour over their German steel. This old C plodder was not only first up but the squad had as many As in it as the colleges on exam results day, thankfully one did manage a 😊 start, did have a few bumps though unlike sunday I was paying more attention on what I should be looking at rather than just looking at what I was doing.

In all a good afternoon out with a jovial squad.

Unsure of HG as scores being updated when I left think Andy Moon 90+ but a lot of stars there today

Owls Lodge for me too, understandably they seemed to have tamed most stands a tad as it would have been a nightmare for those who shot in heavy rain, felt very 95'able to me and had I not dropped three dollies on our second stand (no.8) that would have been my actual score 😊 , ought to mention how good our young ref was, the lad was cool under the pressure of lots of no birds on the orange rabbit stand and made immaculate calls, top draw scoring too. 

The drive home was miserable, left at 2.20 and got in at 6.00 😒  the M25 M26 M2 and A2 were all stop/crawl, absolute scandal. 

Owls Lodge today, had been wet, thankfully dry & pleasant at 3pm, a band of 7, five of whom had K80’s, in my eyes they were lucky my Perazzi added some much needed gun glamour over their German steel. This old C plodder was not only first up but the squad had as many As in it as the colleges on exam results day, thankfully one did manage a 😊 start, did have a few bumps though unlike sunday I was paying more attention on what I should be looking at rather than just looking at what I was doing.

In all a good afternoon out with a jovial squad.

Unsure of HG as scores being updated when I left think Andy Moon 90+ but a lot of stars there today
Nice to shoot with you today Richard 

Park lodge for me today on the practise round. Main sporting stands were all a bit on the tame side, one or two tricky birds, but a lot of card fillers. 4 driven birds off the 140 foot tower was something else though!

Also Owls at 3pm. As it was my birthday, I decided to treat myself and cancel EJC STR in the morning rain..

As Hamid says it was a shoot without a nasty stand, yet still we all tripped up and the massive score never emerged, despite big names there.

I was awful on the pretty easy first half of the course, dropping 6. Dug in and dropped three on harder second half. Sigh.. enjoyed it and it proves concentration and application is needed even on a simpler looking course. 

Sad day today. Kent & Sussex Clubman League shoot at Stonestile Clay Shooting Club and the last shoot ever to be held there. It was one of the first clubs that I shot at when I started 5 years ago and has remained one of my favourite places to shoot, mainly because of the people I've got to know shooting there. I shall miss the Sunday morning laughs.

Okay, so entered my first competition yesterday, shooting as part of the Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue team at Bisley in the Surrey Police 100 Bird Open Shoot and it was really good; lovely, friendly people there, a great atmosphere in lush surroundings and a fun shoot. This was the 5th time ever I've shot, 1st time with my newly bought 525, didn't score a blank on any of the 15 stands, and I scored 68 so I'm pleased with that and I'm guessing that's not too bad for a newbie. First time I've ever shot some of the type of clays they threw at you, one stand was having to go from directly in front in you to over your head and behind (said pheasants on the stand?), and nailed all three pairs so very happy about that one.

Looking forward to more of this. 😃👍

Latest posts

Back