Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If old style Fitasc (including 36g loads and big targets) are seemingly so popular why don't they just ignore everything and put on such shoots for the sheer enjoyment of those who wish to participate ? 

You can charge what you want because we're told many people want that type of shoot, you can buy 36/35/32g loads in bulk and sell them at cost on the day, you can enforce the gun position rule strictly and even dock offenders points, and you can make sure it takes till almost sun down to get 60 people through leaving plenty of time for chats and coffee. I don't understand the problem. 

If it's gone (or going) it's for a good reason, same with English Skeet which used to be a thing back in the day, things change, peoples preferences change, the pace of everything has changed and one day for all we know we'll be moaning about the good old days of ESP and how things used to be. 

To be serious for a moment, I do really enjoy FSP but at Valley View my first shot was at 9.30am and my last at 4.45pm. This may suit some people. John Wells was sat there strumming his guitar between layouts! I feel I am enduring the long day to obtain the very good shooting part. Last year Southdown and Weston wood were doing it with just one break, you booked morning or pm. Thats my preference (and that of everybody I spoke to) at those events. I get how some people may like the full day, especially if you are there with your partner etc..

Shot at Longridge yesterday. 100 ESP and also H&W County Champs. Good shoot. Not much distance stuff but a lot of tricky angles to catch you out. Ended up on 87, should have been about 92, too many singles dropped.  Tend to start well on a stand, say to myself I've got this then miss the very next one!

Think I ended up joint 4th out of H&W.

Good competition and well run as usual!

Perazzi GP at MWSC this week. Hopefully concentrate a bit more!

To be serious for a moment, I do really enjoy FSP but at Valley View my first shot was at 9.30am and my last at 4.45pm. This may suit some people. John Wells was sat there strumming his guitar between layouts! I feel I am enduring the long day to obtain the very good shooting part. Last year Southdown and Weston wood were doing it with just one break, you booked morning or pm. Thats my preference (and that of everybody I spoke to) at those events. I get how some people may like the full day, especially if you are there with your partner etc..
I was advised that there was lots of mechanical/technical issues which caused a delay, hence the reason why i didnt bother in attempting to book in & shoot it on the Sunday !!

I was advised that there was lots of mechanical/technical issues which caused a delay, hence the reason why i didnt bother in attempting to book in & shoot it on the Sunday !!
In fairness, we had one 30 min delay before second layout, which didn’t worsen so finished the day 30 mins late. There were no birds a fair bit. Staff could barely touch black clays as they become so hot.

Tried to book on Coleys monthly shoot for sept . Full. So Churchill's bekons the day after. Do I need to book( squaded? ) or just rock up?.

Jasper.

Tried to book on Coleys monthly shoot for sept . Full. So Churchill's bekons the day after. Do I need to book( squaded? ) or just rock up?.

Jasper.
You'll find the entire series gets booked up pretty quickly once the slots are available! Very popular event.

I had a nice weekend, just gone, out shooting.

Saturday was a local unregistered which had a nice straw bale grouse butt setup due to the impending season. 

Sunday I shot at Honesberie first and was pleased to see that Tom & Alex got the balance of the last two shoots spot on. I think the consensus was it had gone a bit too far 3 times back but they've been well balanced these last two times. Nice to see loads of new presentations there after the work they've done cutting new rides in and moving some earth around. 

Then on to Westfield. Deceptive course, nothing was 'extreme' but some people (me included) did seem to struggle! Mostly enjoyable round. I did have three targets going through (or very very close too) the sun and then one target that I didn't even fire the gun at twice as it was impossible for me to see. That's a first for me after three years of shooting. Little frustrated that I maybe didn't get a fair crack at these 16 clays compared to someone that shot it in the morning. The sun typically follows quite predictable paths so this is a gripe of mine at any shoot that has a target going through the sun.

That's it now until the August bank holiday which will probably be Longridge. Then the British Open at Oakedge. Very busy August.

Reactions: Zea
Gunsite, after it stopped raining, twas a most poor effort on my part, mind you I did get quite a good look at my barells and they look stunning, with luck I wont do that next shoot & pay more attention to the targets 🤡 that I am,  did not look busy,  forecast & calendar looked to have affected entries, looking at rest of month I wont need to wait too long to shoot a reg.

Gatton Bottom this morning.  Very quiet, three off us got round in not much over an hour. Finished on 76. No total meltdowns, just a steady trickle of a couple or so dropped targets on the majority of stands.

I did Southdown premier league shoot, which was busy enough but not mad. Absolutely no feel of a Prem shoot. No CPSA staff, no banners. Not that I’m too fussed either way..

A decent shoot with some stiff stands added to lots of medium level ones. A bit odd the way it was all compressed into lower half of the valley, with several stands being back to back on each side of the track, so a bit distracting as it all sounded so close. 

I had a long day yesterday and felt very dozy in the first few stands, just wasn’t with it at all. Tossed about 5 silly losses in very early on before managing to wake up and shoot reasonably on last 8 stands for an 86. Frustrating but could have been worse.

Gunsite, after it stopped raining, twas a most poor effort on my part, mind you I did get quite a good look at my barells and they look stunning, with luck I wont do that next shoot & pay more attention to the targets 🤡 that I am,  did not look busy,  forecast & calendar looked to have affected entries, looking at rest of month I wont need to wait too long to shoot a reg.
Should have realised and said hello,took your card of you on stand 1.

Looked like a serious shaving injury ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have realised and said hello,took your card of you on stand 1.

Looked like a serious shaving injury ;)  
Ah a face to name I missed, today I managed to miss quite a lot mind, wondering how on earth I managed to drive without a mishap so poor my day, yes the injury was savage, three days worth, in a hurry and the razor stuck fast into ones chin, ouch moment, took a while to clean the mess up, 

Hows things with the Perazzi? Im still in awe of mine hence the frequent brain farts when out, may well shoot poorly but my word one does look good when doing so 😊

Ah a face to name I missed, today I managed to miss quite a lot mind, wondering how on earth I managed to drive without a mishap so poor my day, yes the injury was savage, three days worth, in a hurry and the razor stuck fast into ones chin, ouch moment, took a while to clean the mess up, 

Hows things with the Perazzi? Im still in awe of mine hence the frequent brain farts when out, may well shoot poorly but my word one does look good when doing so 😊
Love it 3 terrible stands today dropped 18 targets over them and still a 75 realised who you were then got distracted...next time  ;)

I shot the Perazzi on friday; it was VERY windy and some of the targets were a bit out of my league. Definitely didn't like the MIDI's in general, and the ones on the green course in particular. 

Appart from the wind and the occasional shower, it went well, some of the targets were really nice, I think everything was shootable, and they played quite on the landscape, a bit more on the combination of slow/fast and near/far instead of throwing silly clays around.

I ended up with 100/150, and I'm happy with that, as a beginner and all. "room for improvement" 😉

I did Southdown premier league shoot, which was busy enough but not mad. Absolutely no feel of a Prem shoot. No CPSA staff, no banners. Not that I’m too fussed either way..

A decent shoot with some stiff stands added to lots of medium level ones. A bit odd the way it was all compressed into lower half of the valley, with several stands being back to back on each side of the track, so a bit distracting as it all sounded so close. 

I had a long day yesterday and felt very dozy in the first few stands, just wasn’t with it at all. Tossed about 5 silly losses in very early on before managing to wake up and shoot reasonably on last 8 stands for an 86. Frustrating but could have been worse.
The Premier League seems to have lost its way, nobody from the CPSA has been at the last 2 shoots.

The Premier League seems to have lost its way, nobody from the CPSA has been at the last 2 shoots.
I never really got it. Personally, I think they should just let it quietly die.. All a bit pointless and a sign of how the CPSA don’t quite understand their shooters. Clubs are the last thing that unites a load of self centred shooters. Without a massive club incentive, why would this work.. The CPSA staff are great folk, but this is a concept without a firm grasp.

I never really got it. Personally, I think they should just let it quietly die.. All a bit pointless and a sign of how the CPSA don’t quite understand their shooters. Clubs are the last thing that unites a load of self centred shooters. Without a massive club incentive, why would this work.. The CPSA staff are great folk, but this is a concept without a firm grasp.
I quite like it.  I enjoy the opportunity to shoot at West London, for example.  And the extra Saturday Registered shoots at other grounds.

I quite like it.  I enjoy the opportunity to shoot at West London, for example.  And the extra Saturday Registered shoots at other grounds.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the shoots themselves and it’s brilliant where it has encouraged grounds to participate who would not have otherwise. WLSS even gave me a nice win! Bisley were there, but sadly dropped out. Just the actual league part I can’t really make sense of.. 120 entries today is an all time low?

Latest posts

Back