Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nimbusgb,

So did you witness the totally wrongly presented clay that GD had , missed, questionably looked at the referee for a no-bird to be called , but graciously accepted the recorded loss without protest? 

On another note schmokin is waging war on GMK, a friend shot the Benelli and said it was the worst shoot he had ever been to , nothing to blame GMK for it was just shambolicly run by the ground , total disorganisation apparently .

Nimbusgb,

So did you witness the totally wrongly presented clay that GD had , missed, questionably looked at the referee for a no-bird to be called , but graciously accepted the recorded loss without protest? 

On another note schmokin is waging war on GMK, a friend shot the Benelli and said it was the worst shoot he had ever been to , nothing to blame GMK for it was just shambolicly run by the ground , total disorganisation apparently .
Nope, I didn't, their squad seemed to accelerate away from us quite quickly. It does speak to the mans character though, that is the kind of thing that makes a gentleman, not throwing your toys!

Been following some of the 'war' :)

Nimbusgb,

Spoke to Somebody connected to Southdown now i am no fan of their management but i was told the GMK had taken it on themselves to be more involved in the shoot than just sitting back and recording the scores,when i voiced my opinion to Waktare and Thackeray at the end of the shoot i asked them what they thought a reasonable time to shoot the course?

Their reply four and a half hours...how detached from reality are they?

We were walking up to the first stand that had a problem and were told to carry on to other stands but being squadded it needed to run in order and that should not have happened as it turned into a free for all a 10 minute wait could have saved hours.

Several of our squad were extremely pissed off as they had 3 hour plus drives.

They have F up guns ,parts,service,caused grief for gunshops as they will not communicate direct and shoots for me that they have been involved in should i be vaunting them as some sort of wonder company?

There constant F ups where overall control is theres is a long sad list of poor choices and bad management but obviously Peter you have some sort of relationship with them and we should ignore all that.

As per my email response to Warren "i look forward to the day i can comment positively on something they are involved in".

Nope, I didn't, their squad seemed to accelerate away from us quite quickly. It does speak to the mans character though, that is the kind of thing that makes a gentleman, not throwing your toys!

Been following some of the 'war' :)
Yes Brett Winstanley from his squad threw his toys so far out of the pram that he shot his last pair from the hip after apparently stropping out most of the way round!

Nipped down to a humid Horne. Started off well straighting first 3 stands. Only found the edgy L-R on stand 8 once which put a dent in my score. On 10 I nailed first 4 simo pairs then got a no bird and missed both. On the repeat. Missed the close rabbit twice then shot it later and vaporised it. Finished on 88 so cant grumble but should have been a 90+ but just got sloppy.

Also Horne. First Reg out since having my gun fit altered last week.  Complete meltdown on the first stand (2) which I blanked.  Messed up the next two stands as well for 17 away out of the first 24.  Pulled my head together and started shooting properly, hitting 61 out of the remaining 76 targets.  Struggled initially as I've been trying to compensate for a gun that's been shooting low and took me a while to get back to my old sight pictures.  Pleased with the second half of the course, was bang on anything crossing by the end hitting all the crossers on 10 and 7 and only dropping one each on 8 and 1.

schmokin, I have no relationship or friendship with GMK at all , just commenting on what a friend who shot it told me .

Interestingly , he arrived five minutes early with his squad at stand 1 , and asked if he could start ? Certainly not said the very officious referee . When their due time arrived for some reason they had a 40 minute delay .

Interesting comments about Brat Winstanley , throwing hois toys out of his pram , I understand at one point he asked King George to have a look and tell him what he was doing wrong . My Hero refused to comment, as we all know coaching is not allowed .  

Widdington today. Fear of thunderstorms, but just a humid sunny day.

Lovely course, didn’t feel easy! Had a couple of episodes that killed my score. Rabbit stand at far end had a bouncing first bunny and a distant fast edgey second bunny. Six balls of dust, then on last pair the first rabbit didn’t bounce! Threw me completely, pair lost. Another stand, I missed first pair as the ref launched the first bird when I said “yeah” as he confirmed my name. Bizarre really, only figured out what happened as I walked away, but another pair lost. The rest was just firm. Some good names under 90. Hit 86, enjoyed it. The 96 that won was extremely good I think. Fairly big entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot the Classique on Saturday,Blue course first a bit foggy on arrival and massively humid "easier?" of the 2 courses but still not thing seemed simple A.Cocker in our squad shot a massive 96 seemingly effortless to him i was mighty impressed,didn't even really seem to look at the targets much just shot them!

The red course in the afternoon a different story for all wind was blowing lots further out and the "incomers" didn't get closer than 70m for me 4 was a good effort and scoring 6 on the last stand after watching RF do the same was pleasing.

Beautiful place to shoot and great targets had a great day,just a shame the weather wasn't a little more stable

Interestingly , I have A Cocker that is brilliant , he sits on the peg behind me and mutters F'Me Harris , everytime I miss .🤣

Longridge today, felt like a big entry as awaiting on every stand it felt. Warm without seeing any sky let alone sun. Shot on tod, it sas a decision to go upon waking so no plans afoot, one shot & poorly in equal measures, start was shocking and ended well which is a reversal of my previous, lots of usual faces, high gun was, even after a host of superstars had finished 94 when I left, it was the only 90+ at the time. Doubt if that will remain so given the cast of supershots booked in 

Dartford Reg this morning in blistering sunshine. Confidence is starting to increase since my gun fit alterations on Thursday and scores creeping in the right direction. Finished on a 72. Rabbits have been a problem of late, missing underneath. Didn't drop a single one today, showing the comb raising has done the job. 

Overall happy with how I shot, although I left a lot out there. Still overleading some of the quartering stuff, but managed to rein it back in most of the time today.

Longridge today, felt like a big entry as awaiting on every stand it felt. Warm without seeing any sky let alone sun. Shot on tod, it sas a decision to go upon waking so no plans afoot, one shot & poorly in equal measures, start was shocking and ended well which is a reversal of my previous, lots of usual faces, high gun was, even after a host of superstars had finished 94 when I left, it was the only 90+ at the time. Doubt if that will remain so given the cast of supershots booked in 
Nice to see you Rich, on a rare Longridge visit for me. I thought it was very good, pretty tough in places. I watched a big name shooter hit 1/8 on the sim l-r pair. I was glad to hit 8/10 on that stand with the very distant edgey r-l. 

Generally I just struggled in a few places but really ruined my card on stand 11; a sim pair which I tackled wrong way round hitting 5/10. A poor 81 for me. 

Long ridge also for me today. Not a lot to say about the shoot apart from the multitude of no birds and young scores who haven’t got a fricking clue what they are doing.......

stand 11 shoot the left hand bird first

I made the mistake of looking at what my average is at  re classification,have shot well below it ever since🤪.Widdington yesterday,great shoot i thought,dropped numerous clays early on,managed to scrape 84.Longridge today,exactly the same scenario,dropped 8 clays in the first 4 stands,finished on 83.i should really have a warm up on the pool shoot,trouble is it would have delayed me long enough to end up in the thick of the queues.on a positive note i am learning the art of digging in by shooting early stands so badly.🤔

Five days Shooting comes to an end and back to work tomorrow for a rest.  Today went to the Cheddite Sporting Championship held at Hunston Woods near Bury St Edmunds and set by the Thorrolds.   Lovely bit of land and very enjoyable.   Very hot and humid though.  Shot okay missed a few sillies at times - get three pairs then miss the last pair - just ran out of steam and there was a good mix of targets.  

I know of another Gloucestershire shooter who shot a 90 ☺️

Five days Shooting comes to an end and back to work tomorrow for a rest.  Today went to the Cheddite Sporting Championship held at Hunston Woods near Bury St Edmunds and set by the Thorrolds.   Lovely bit of land and very enjoyable.   Very hot and humid though.  Shot okay missed a few sillies at times - get three pairs then miss the last pair - just ran out of steam and there was a good mix of targets.  
Yes very enjoyable round I hit 99 and I was pleased to hit two of the midis on stand 14. I messed up the rabbits though which I normally shoot well.

Back