Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An actual cage isn’t required I think. In theory a square patch on the floor to stand on is, while the rest is not dictated. Certainly I’ve shot whole ESP shoots without a cage, just hoops on the ground. Big enclosures are found at AGL, EJC.

When people start saying CPSA rules do they actually read the rules before posting.  :smile:  And even then it could be down to interpretation.
Booklet 7. Rule 7.10. no interpretation required .just a measuring implement. 🤔

Jasper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Booklet 7. Rule 7.10. no interpretation required .just a measuring implement. 🤔

Jasper.
Sorry my bad...didn't realise  booklet 7 was still in existence. Booklets 1,2, and 3 are though.

24.12 Shooting stands shall be clearly defined squares no smaller than 0.91m (1 yard) and must be within an enclosure. Enclosures must be a minimum height of 2m (2.18yd), to prevent any safety problems when addressing or firing at any targets presented. The sides of any enclosure should not prevent the Referee from having a clear view of the competitor. The recommended dimensions of the enclosure follow the standard Sportrap enclosure size of: 1200mm x 1200mm (47.2in x 47.2in) area with a removable front bar at 600mm (23.62in) height (to allow disabled competitors access and position) with enclosure sides to 2m (2.18yd) and a padded top bar centrally above the pad. Front entry and variations on the size of the recommended enclosure will remain acceptable provided the arc of fire is contained within the exclusion zone.

Note: The recommended dimensions follow the sportrap enclosure (not compulsory). If you go by the diagram in booklet 1, how many "cages" do you see with the removable front bar? and, front entry and variations on the size of the recommended enclosure will remain acceptable provided the arc of fire is contained within the exclusion zone.

As I said it's all down to interpretation.

So I wonder if you don't use the recommended enclosure and god forbid there is an accident, what the insurance company would say. 

HSE will have a field day.

And in the case of AGL the arc of fire was clearly not contained. Otherwise the ref would not have felt the need to intervene.

I don't see many cages with removable front bars , but there should be . This is the point. 

To cover asses it best not to leave it to interpretation. 

Jasper.

Had a bash at Gatton Bottom today. Nothing exciting to say other than had a bit of a lightbulb moment about my stock. So many targets there need you to use your shotgun like a rifle and gun fit is important. Lost about three or four that I think a stock change could have assisted with. (It’s not the basic “fit”, I’m not that daft, but) I have a very narrow comb, so my face can roll away from best position easily. I now have some very ugly cardboard and tape to try at next shoot.  Enjoyed my burger at lunch. 😀

Orston today a nice round no eyesight tests. I hit 79 which seems about the norm these days. My bogie target the crow, I could not miss today, a sim pair of them on one stand resulted in a straight. But a stand with a pair of rabbits (normally a banker target for me) resulted in a 3 X 8 funny old game 

Lost about three or four that I think a stock change could have assisted with. (It’s not the basic “fit”, I’m not that daft, but) I have a very narrow comb, so my face can roll away from best position easily. I now have some very ugly cardboard and tape to try at next shoot.  Enjoyed my burger at lunch. 😀
That's exactly what I thought half way through the process of getting my stock altered. Went back to the gunsmith before final finish, he said he could put wood on the side like a rifle stock but it wouldn't help in the slightest. Ripped all the cardboard off and put me right on a few things, which is now part of my routine when I get in the stand. Nothing to do with the stock at all.

That's exactly what I thought half way through the process of getting my stock altered. Went back to the gunsmith before final finish, he said he could put wood on the side like a rifle stock but it wouldn't help in the slightest. Ripped all the cardboard off and put me right on a few things. Nothing to do with the stock at all.
I have my Perazzi in the cabinet, which I had modified to fit very nicely (same as my Blaser). Difference is the P stock is much fatter at comb. When I put my face on, I then can’t move it and it feels foolproof. (Don’t like the P gun barrel weight). With the Blaser, I can roll my head around and alter the alignment so in competition circumstance I can get it wrong unless really paying attention. Looking for stability really. 

My other option is to get the barrel ribs removed on the P gun and trim the weight. A period of confusion could be about to start. 😆

Two quite hard shoots today Garlands and Northampton scored 71 on both.  I felt I did okay on both overall although my scores weren’t good.

Day to forget today. First shoot I got so annoyed by shooters dishonesty when referees were marking very clearly missed clays as kills. This was happening on a lot of stands and not the odd one or two. The £5 was a waste as it wasn’t a fair competition.

Raised it refs and was informed that they knew best. Mentioned it with ground owner and he certainly agreed and wanted to make it right. Hopefully it will be resolved with a bit of staff training. It’s so hard to get scorers it’s worth developing them so the shoots can continue to run as we know them. It’d be carnage if it goes to ‘score your own’ like USA! 

I let let my frustrations carry through to the next shoot which was Garlands. Enjoyed the course but got myself so annoyed every time I missed. All in all, in need of a good slap today 😁

77 and a 75. Both should have been higher, same feelings as most weeks!

Had a bash at Gatton Bottom today. Nothing exciting to say other than had a bit of a lightbulb moment about my stock. So many targets there need you to use your shotgun like a rifle and gun fit is important. Lost about three or four that I think a stock change could have assisted with. (It’s not the basic “fit”, I’m not that daft, but) I have a very narrow comb, so my face can roll away from best position easily. I now have some very ugly cardboard and tape to try at next shoot.  Enjoyed my burger at lunch. 😀
I have long disliked narrow stocks for that very reason and you'd be surprised how many modern competition guns fit that description. 

Owls Lodge this morning, which was pretty windy and felt cold. It wasn’t gusting so the clays behaved well considering. A good mix as ever, some decent longer targets round the back, but nothing vicious. I started poorly, dropping 5 in the first three stands (worst one being stand 3, the teals). Then thankfully I dug in and only dropped another 3 the rest of the way round. I suspect a very big score will come in as the glitterati were turning up, having shot Westfield Compak first..

Owls Lodge this morning, which was pretty windy and felt cold. It wasn’t gusting so the clays behaved well considering. A good mix as ever, some decent longer targets round the back, but nothing vicious. I started poorly, dropping 5 in the first three stands (worst one being stand 3, the teals). Then thankfully I dug in and only dropped another 3 the rest of the way round. I suspect a very big score will come in as the glitterati were turning up, having shot Westfield Compak first..
Only bettered by Richard King 96 & Martyn Myers 95 👏 you 

Looking at the weather when we got there I thought it would be a washout. Turned out to be a lovely morning with @Bebo and her husband at Horne. 

The journey into registered shoots continues, with a ten point increase for a PB. 62 at Gatton Bottom today. 

Some brain farts with pairs lost in the middle of good stands, but the real damage is low flying clays. Rabbits I'm fine with. Crosser above me too.  But a crosser either below me from the platform, or between knees and head height if I'm on the ground and I'm screwed. 

First reg shoot in the bag after <5months shooting and I walk away with a 64. (Gatton)

I am pleased but annoyed, as I dropped easier targets whilst hitting some of the more challenging. Stand one had a high left to right crosser which I witnessed many people miss, I straighted that but missed basic incomers.

Onwards and upwards. 

Gunsite, warm at home and thankfully much the same after the short drive south, not been since August and it was good to catch up with a few “chums” for a natter, went & shot on tod, one horror stand a l-r quartering / going away rocket and long l-r crosser apart had a pleasant day on the clay. Will try to rid myself of a reluctance to shoot said l-r crossers until they are nearly in next county though. 

Did get more right than wrong so thats 😊 shooting.

The machine Martin Myers put in 100 straight, the chap is a clay shooting wonder.

Westfield double today 

Compak .....22,22,25,25 .........94

Sporting 95

A good day in the office with Oven glove Doug & Colin who both put the frightners up me by shooting brilliant 24s & 25 straight on the first compak layout

Westfield two good courses.  Compak I just started bad then it rained and I had a Very bad day at the office.  Sporting was good but again I just couldn’t find anything within and this would be a day I would like to start again or have just stayed in bed.  All me.

Back