Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone at AGL today got any tips on stand 3? I didn't think it looked too hard but made a right hash of it.
I only got 6 so probably not the best person to be dishing out advice but I hit all but one of the distant (I think it was a midi from memory?) which I took 2nd and was made easier if you took the closer one quickly otherwise started to drop. The closer one I missed 3 times as wasn’t giving it enough lead.

Anyone at AGL today got any tips on stand 3? I didn't think it looked too hard but made a right hash of it.
I hit 7 and started well so I had found them but then missed one large and two small.  The large I just stopped the gun and the small I went too far.

Long day out today with Woody.  AGL first thing, then on to Sporting Targets where I have said goodbye to my gun while they sort out some issues with leaky flux on my barrels.

Was disappointed with how I shot today at AGL.  Started on Stand 2, which I was straight on, then Stand 3 missed the first two pairs overleading the targets.  Hit pair 3 then missed the next pair (in front again).  Dropped 7 all together.  Was then poor on the next four stands.  Couldn't get on the second bird on Stand 4, bad line on the second bird on Stand 5 until I turned and took it early and don't even talk about the driven pair.

Four good stands and then I got the hump with the grumpy scorer on Stand 12 who nagged me about having to take the second bird as a driven even though I hadn't even lined up to shoot, which put me right off and I ended up dropping 4 on it.  Finished on a 67, when I felt I should have been mid 70's.

Long day out today with Woody.  AGL first thing, then on to Sporting Targets where I have said goodbye to my gun while they sort out some issues with leaky flux on my barrels.

Was disappointed with how I shot today at AGL.  Started on Stand 2, which I was straight on, then Stand 3 missed the first two pairs overleading the targets.  Hit pair 3 then missed the next pair (in front again).  Dropped 7 all together.  Was then poor on the next four stands.  Couldn't get on the second bird on Stand 4, bad line on the second bird on Stand 5 until I turned and took it early and don't even talk about the driven pair.

Four good stands and then I got the hump with the grumpy scorer on Stand 12 who nagged me about having to take the second bird as a driven even though I hadn't even lined up to shoot, which put me right off and I ended up dropping 4 on it.  Finished on a 67, when I felt I should have been mid 70's.
Potentially cost me the 93 I was craving 😛  😯 , would have been a dolly the way I was planning to take it but the ref said he'd had too many take it late sideways so had decided to request it be shot as an incomer, didn't argue as could just about see his point; anyways goes and overleads the first one ! 😁  

Sorry, please explain why or how someone can tell you to take a bird in a certain way.... surely if a ground sets up a stand, you can shoot it however the love you want as long as you're not being dangerous?! Otherwise, set the trap up differently to achieve what you want; it's their fault if they don't achieve what they set out to do. Don't quite follow.

Actually, don't follow at all... just sounds plain silly.

Potentially cost me the 93 I was craving 😛  😯 , would have been a dolly the way I was planning to take it but the ref said he'd had too many take it late sideways so had decided to request it be shot as an incomer, didn't argue as could just about see his point; anyways goes and overleads the first one ! 😁  
I was going to turn and take it as a crosser but shoot it while it was still out in front of me. Would have been no risk to anyone. If AGL were worried about risk associated with taking driven targets as crossers they shouldn't have set Stand 7 at all.

Sorry, please explain why or how someone can tell you to take a bird in a certain way.... surely if a ground sets up a stand, you can shoot it however the love you want as long as you're not being dangerous?! Otherwise, set the trap up differently to achieve what you want; it's their fault if they don't achieve what they set out to do. Don't quite follow.

Actually, don't follow at all... just sounds plain silly.
I think what must have happened was people were shooting it where their gun was pointing outside of the wooden enclosure. (Like a big cage on this one). This may have worried the scorer. The problem is usually solved when an actual cage is used, as the shooters scope is contained.  Personally I found this target an obvious driven.

I think what must have happened was people were shooting it where their gun was pointing outside of the wooden enclosure. (Like a big cage on this one). This may have worried the scorer. The problem is usually solved when an actual cage is used, as the shooters scope is contained.  Personally I found this target an obvious driven.
I got them but i did cant my barrels keeping my body facing forward, a bit of a contortion but it worked.  It was an obvious driven just not going to take it that way.  My barrels did not go above my head and I wasn’t spoken to about it so he must have considered it acceptable.  

It wasn't coming straight over but slightly to the right and many would have felt it more logical to tackle as a crossing driven, my breaks were OK but had I taken them the way I wanted to they'd have smoked well before becoming an issue. 

It wasn't coming straight over but slightly to the right and many would have felt it more logical to tackle as a crossing driven, my breaks were OK but had I taken them the way I wanted to they'd have smoked well before becoming an issue. 
Exactly this. Grumpy started having a go at me before I'd even loaded my gun for the first pair. 

As in an actual cage as required by Cpsa rules ???

As in an actual cage as required by Cpsa rules ???
An actual cage isn’t required I think. In theory a square patch on the floor to stand on is, while the rest is not dictated. Certainly I’ve shot whole ESP shoots without a cage, just hoops on the ground. Big enclosures are found at AGL, EJC.

When people start saying CPSA rules do they actually read the rules before posting.  :smile:  And even then it could be down to interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator:
When people start saying CPSA rules do they actually read the rules before posting.  :smile:  And even then it could be down to interpretation.
The vast majority that I have come across er no, will quantify that and I write that as a competitor and have scored English Sporting & refereed FITASC

There was no stand on the driven pair, well not one that restricted your movements anyway and just as well because I stumbled off/out of it with each pair with the sheer force of movement to get to the second bird (lower standard clay in my case). 

There was no stand on the driven pair, well not one that restricted your movements anyway and just as well because I stumbled off/out of it with each pair with the sheer force of movement to get to the second bird (lower standard clay in my case). 
I watched that shot several ways. I opted for the side-on crosser approach, taking lower bird first, then midi as it dived behind the tree. Missed three, but got last pair spot on. My preferred method isn’t great on really low time stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched that shot several ways. I opted for the side-on crosser approach, taking lower bird first, then midi as it dived behind the tree. Missed three, but got last pair spot on. My preferred method isn’t great on really low time stuff. 
I shot them as straight on driven same order but was pretty much at full stretch / arched back to get the high bird.

I shot it Master Chef deconstructed driven/crosser style, got fully set up a little past sideways to favour the low crosser being taken as the second bird then twisted my body and arms to take the higher bird as a driven first; even composing myself between pairs and being fully conscious of what I was about to do left next to no time for the second shot hence ending up with feet being forced out of original position. 

I shot it Master Chef deconstructed driven/crosser style, got fully set up a little past sideways to favour the low crosser being taken as the second bird then twisted my body and arms to take the higher bird as a driven first; even composing myself between pairs and being fully conscious of what I was about to do left next to no time for the second shot hence ending up with feet being forced out of original position. 
I was sh*t on that stand.  Last two pairs I ended up shooting (and hitting) the high bird overhead as a crosser and just chucking the gun at the lower bird (and missing it).  The last two pairs were the best I did on it.

Back