Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westfield today and it took me 4 stands to wake up (in those stands I dropped 11); after that I dropped a further 7 around the rest of the course so much tidier shooting. Ended on 82.

EDIT: Just seen the scores in B class. I was nowhere near.....
82 👏 Doug, B & “nowhere near”??

Three shoots for me today and all conveniently at Southdown.  Lucky with the weather as it stayed dry and no wind but very grey.   Pounding headache from neck tension but Started on Sportrap which was enjoyable although I dropped a few from just hanging on for no good reason.  Stopped to have a homemade scotch egg at the cafe which was very good, still had my headache but carried on with Sporting dropping a few sillies, headache started to ease towards the end so decided to shoot the double rise for a bit of fun.  Never shot it before and probably won’t shoot it again to be honest.  It’s just simo teal as far as I’m concerned and you know how I love them NOT.  Orange clays into grey was fun also NOT.  Best part was shooting with Chris Childerhouse and I love how fast he gets them.  Also shooting with Jan Galland is also a lot of fun  that got me through it.   I don’t think a proper double rise squad would want me any way as I decided it was more fun taking them on the drop.

This follows on from my comments a few weeks ago, lost the plot ??? 

I’m beginning to think so
It will be better next week.. for a while.. once again demonstrating that classifications every 6 months (that take a whole years scores) is not frequent enough these days. 

You miss my point Will,  scores of 90, 89 & 87 in B class make a mockery of both the shoot and the shooter. Yes I can understand that one can have an absolutely blinder of a day and not miss anything,but this suggests that it was set on the softer side.

When the average mortal then gos on to shoot something a lot stiffer,invariably the moaning starts that it was set too stiff, when in fact they were the norm only five years ago.

Big scores do massage our egos, but it can all come crashing down when presented with the more challenging targets.

You miss my point Will,  scores of 90, 89 & 87 in B class make a mockery of both the shoot and the shooter. Yes I can understand that one can have an absolutely blinder of a day and not miss anything,but this suggests that it was set on the softer side.

When the average mortal then gos on to shoot something a lot stiffer,invariably the moaning starts that it was set too stiff, when in fact they were the norm only five years ago.

Big scores do massage our egos, but it can all come crashing down when presented with the more challenging targets.
Agreed, it wasn’t a tough shoot. But my actual point was this shoot is just prior to the new classifications. I think all three of the B class scores will be people who are in A class next week. 

Wynn , why do you insist on being a tw*t ??

last time i called you personally to discuss Westfield , you said you wanted it challenging , but where were you ??

it was a challenging shoot yesterday but here is a surprise to you , people thst shoot my shoots regularly actually get better and improve unlike you thats capable of a 75 on a good day !!!!!!

how you can decide a shoot makes a mockery of the classes witjout even being there is beyond me !!!

the game of clay shooting is an entertainment game so booting people in the balls last time i looked wasnt very entertaining so i strongly suggest you keep your comments to yourself and let people enjoy what they enjoy doing 

steve 

If I could be bothered, I would work out all the new classes for everybody and show how this shoot would have looked if they held it next week! But I won’t..

Wynn , why do you insist on being a tw*t ??

last time i called you personally to discuss Westfield , you said you wanted it challenging , but where were you ??

it was a challenging shoot yesterday but here is a surprise to you , people thst shoot my shoots regularly actually get better and improve unlike you thats capable of a 75 on a good day !!!!!!

how you can decide a shoot makes a mockery of the classes witjout even being there is beyond me !!!

the game of clay shooting is an entertainment game so booting people in the balls last time i looked wasnt very entertaining so i strongly suggest you keep your comments to yourself and let people enjoy what they enjoy doing 

steve 
Steve. Thank you for your comments, you will note that I have not lowered myself to call you names or insult you.

For your information I was fulfilling a long-standing commitment to referee a shoot, not even I can be in two places at once, can you ?

As for your comment about my shooting ability, I am a B class shooter, always will be, and I know my limitations.

Have a good day.

End of subject.

If I could be bothered, I would work out all the new classes for everybody and show how this shoot would have looked if they held it next week! But I won’t..
Issue 55 averages for the top three shooters in B class were 77.66, 76.24, 76.05. One goes up to A, the other two missed it by a fraction.

Issue 55 averages for the top three shooters in B class were 77.66, 76.24, 76.05. One goes up to A, the other two missed it by a fraction.
Sure. Thats their last 12 months scores. I think if you look at issue 56, their current average over last 6 months, its higher.. Just shows we need to classify more often.

Hi Wynno, OK Steve was a bit harsh but he and Will do have a point. 

I say to all those who speak of soft shoots (which are a fact of life) just get over it and accept the fact there are also tough shoots, it all averages out which is the whole point. It is quite literally impossible for ALL course setters to ALWAYS get it 100% right and always manage to put on shoots that EVERYONE acknowledges as the CORRECT balance between challenging and fair. 

Why is it we rarely hear moans when a shoot produces a 92 HG ? I'll tell you why, because nobody wants to be the guy who says something was too tough. Too "soft" means nothing as you've still got to prove your mettle and beat others in your class, those who manage to fill their boots on the "easy" stuff will get the high scores they deserve. 

Yesterday I shot a 95 and thought top 3 was in the bag, ten minutes later James Bradley-Day slaughters it with 98, then a 13 year old blasts in a 96, was it easy ? I will pay to watch most AA's get a 96 there, sh*t happens. 

Hi Wynno, OK Steve was a bit harsh but he and Will do have a point. 

I say to all those who speak of soft shoots (which are a fact of life) just get over it and accept the fact there are also tough shoots, it all averages out which is the whole point. It is quite literally impossible for ALL course setters to ALWAYS get it 100% right and always manage to put on shoots that EVERYONE acknowledges as the CORRECT balance between challenging and fair. 

Why is it we rarely hear moans when a shoot produces a 92 HG ? I'll tell you why, because nobody wants to be the guy who says something was too tough. Too "soft" means nothing as you've still got to prove your mettle and beat others in your class, those who manage to fill their boots on the "easy" stuff will get the high scores they deserve. 

Yesterday I shot a 95 and thought top 3 was in the bag, ten minutes later James Bradley-Day slaughters it with 98, then a 13 year old blasts in a 96, was it easy ? I will pay to watch most AA's get a 96 there, sh*t happens. 
Interesting that HG at Court Farm yesterday was 91, with two AAA shots scoring that.  I didn't think it was a particularly tough shoot.

Hi Hamster,  Steve is entitled to his opinion, as are the rest of us. If he wishes to call me a twit/tw*t he can do, it doesn’t bother me one bit in the slightest.

But I stand by what I posted.  Shoots have been getting softer, there’s no denying it, the average joe wants to hit big numbers, me, I want to be challenged. By all means have a number of stands that are comparatively easy, but also have a number that make you think about what you have to do to hit the targets.

Hi Hamster,  Steve is entitled to his opinion, as are the rest of us. If he wishes to call me a twit/tw*t he can do, it doesn’t bother me one bit in the slightest.

But I stand by what I posted.  Shoots have been getting softer, there’s no denying it, the average joe wants to hit big numbers, me, I want to be challenged. By all means have a number of stands that are comparatively easy, but also have a number that make you think about what you have to do to hit the targets.
I'm afraid there very much is a case for denying it, I can't be bothered to find the post which I made a few months ago which using facts and figures proved there was no case to answer regarding this subject which raises its comical head every now and then. Perhaps someone else can do a search and tag it to this thread.

There is no statistically significant or meaningful proof that shoots have been getting easier, talking very much from the point of view of experience and recollection of events over 4 decades worth of clay shooting, I in fact maintain that targets today are infinitely more sophisticated and challenging that yesteryear, it is the shooter who has changed to cope, and cope very well some do. 

Westfield yesterday was a challenging competition 

i had a battue under power at 55 yards shoot zone , a tesl at 45 yards , two tower bird hig crossers at 35 to 40 tards , a pair of high driven , a big strong looper then to finish a long high midi that needed a big gap to hit it 

the fact is people are getting better and enjoy a challenge which is what i supply every week , some shoot harder some softer but im afraid to me its about variety in presentations not the scores .

Interesting that HG at Court Farm yesterday was 91, with two AAA shots scoring that.  I didn't think it was a particularly tough shoot.
It happens, the really high scores tend to come from solid AA's or good AAA's, to stand a realistic chance of a 97-98 you need a good many of them at a shoot but even then murphy's law says sometimes none of them shine above and beyond - on the day. Timing can also mean capable shots encountering adverse weather early or later in the day. 

All said and done though I have always said Horne doesn't tend to shoot as "easy" as some would have you believe. 

Back