Southdown SE Inter Counties 5/6 Apr

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shot both of you :)  , when all the dust has settled I'd be keen to find out how many of those who found it easy won their class.

Shot this with Springer and Bettyswollocks. Great to have it over 14 stands so minimal queueing when we shot. Thought the targets were all there to be killed but maximum concentration was required. Happy that I completed the course without too much pain and looking to the next one.

Well shot both of you :)  , when all the dust has settled I'd be keen to find out how many of those who found it easy won their class.
And Kent came second to Oxfordshire who beat us by 10 points!! Well done to all of our team.

This isn't going to be a stand by stand break down but just to say myself and a friend shot this today and whoever set the targets up did a grand job.  :)

We were expecting to see just a dozen cars there being Saturday but it was packed without having tedious waits and had quite a good atmosphere, 14 stands in all with maybe no more than 3 of them steady and the rest all on the medium to firm side with lots of speed, edge on crossers, good loopers, fair rabbits, fair window pairs and next to nothing outside half choke capability. Thoroughly enjoyable and very well set I thought, the only drawback was the entry fee of £41 which I think is getting on the steep side a bit and that horrid track of theirs. :unsure:

I'm kind of glad I don't live 20 minutes away because that is a car breaker if you do it every week.  :mellow:
hammy, i think you need to visit some other grounds if you thought this was on the medium to firm side :)

Personally thought the birds fr too soft even for a selection in my eyes. Miss and your out even in today's wind. Missed one sitter and a Little unlucky on a midi which cost me a 98 which I thought was the score in today's conditions.

Overall ether disappointing I thought. Hope for more at the English...

hammy, i think you need to visit some other grounds if you thought this was on the medium to firm side :)
Plenty of AA's shot 90 ish or less but I have no doubt someone like yourself can hit them regularly at 75 yards, but this was good enough for me. 

I think it's fashionable to knock shoots sometimes and pretend everything is easy these days, funny when their own scores are no different to their own average ! Oh yeah, I forgot, it's the boredom kicking in. What was your score by the way compared to your CPSA average ?

OK maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, it has to be possible I just had a moment and thought it was a good shoot ?!! Maybe we ought to have a quick looksee of peoples scores compared to their CPSA average ?? What did Phil Moss and Steve Lovatt shoot for instance ? 

ps. I just had a look at the winners list, doesn't look much different to most other reg shoots save for the winner having had a monster day, nearly all the class winners scores look exactly as you'd expect too ! 

Plenty of AA's shot 90 ish or less but I have no doubt someone like yourself can hit them regularly at 75 yards, but this was good enough for me. 

I think it's fashionable to knock shoots sometimes and pretend everything is easy these days, funny when their own scores are no different to their own average ! Oh yeah, I forgot, it's the boredom kicking in. What was your score by the way compared to your CPSA average ?
10 targets above cpsa average

10 targets above cpsa average
That takes some doing even on an easy round, well done. :cool:   Mind if I ask your CPSA average and score ? It's just that 10 more sounds a lot, there must be other reasons behind such a vast difference, for instance if you're a B class shot and currently finding form and getting good tuition then things can seem an awful lot easier than before but if you're AA and usually shoot 85 at tough grounds and managed 95 then yes we could safely say this was a lot easier than what you're used to. 

i didnt have time to shoot this event , but the scores do look high to me , and saying that i am not taking anything away from anybody that shot a high score because i know what it takes to keep filling them in and well done chris broomfield , must have been total concentration from the word go .

the only gripe i heard at weston wood yesterday was there were too many stands on top of each other and too many going away targets , i know more than most to get the balance right is a nightmare and we will always get some moaning from some people that are renowned for it but to be honest these dont count in the whole scheme of things 

i have personnally got four major shoots to set this year and i wonder how many of these four will i get right ???/

steve

It looks like this shoot was set about 3 birds on the soft side, you can't start reading too much into the fact that so many people shot deep into the 90's because you must remember two major things, firstly that it was a two day event which attracted huge numbers compared to your average reg shoot, secondly being a selection meant it drew near enough all the country's very best to the same spot ! 

Put those guys into any shoot and eventually one or two will tear the arse off it, was GD's 117 at the British indicative of how easy it was, how about his 99 at the Jack Pyke, or his 25 straight in that qualifier tower shoot. RF regularly shoots monster scores here and abroad. If you study the scores there are plenty of known names with high 80's scores, some have titles to their name. 

Just a thought, could part of the criticism have anything to do with the reality that only a few will pick up anything for their efforts ? I mean it must really hurt banging in a monster 96 and get zilch, wonder if 20th placed person got £1000 and 5000 shells the comments would be more along the lines of: I thought it was a good shoot, you have to hit them all anyway. Dubai had mental targets but somehow not even the really really good shooters seemed to be able to handle them ! 

Thinking back I agree there weren't any edge on scary distance midi's off the cherry picker there, you know, the type of target designed to make most walk off with a 3/4 but I was too busy enjoying myself to notice. The vast majority of us are 100 birder a week people so I suppose it doesn't take 75 yarders to make us miss. Maybe we need to give serious thought to having more comps with exaggerated difficulty levels for the elite and those who like this kind of thing (not being sarcastic so sorry if it sounds that way), we'll know soon enough if it pays the bills at the days end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We shot it yesterday in the wind and I managed 50/100 and Mr H 86/100.   I have nothing of value to offer in respect of the course setting because this was my first ESP selection shoot shot purely for the fun of it of course.  It was tricky enough for someone like me but I do think my score would have been a tad better had the wind been in my favour.  We enjoyed the shoot but Mr H, if he were to be critical said that he felt there should have been probably a couple of stands of a more tricky nature for those who were contending for a place by this he meant for example the stand with the orange and black going away simo pair might have been set up so that they crossed for example.  There were perhaps two more stands that he felt could have been a simo pair instead of an on report pair.   

I would just like to say I hate rabbits and if I never see one again I would not complain.  I got only one rabbit yesterday and that I think was simply luck.

Steve - I shot this yesterday, Ed's 96 was top drawer when you take the weather (wind definitely caused some variation), trap issues and some long queues in to consideration. On reflection is was probably 5 targets soft but there was a lot there you had to be steady on. I do think the standard of sporting sporting has gone up a notch or two though and this is resulting in some very big scores being shot.

Look forward to shooting yours though with the new toy...  :biggrin:

Didn't go so maybe / probably shouldn't comment but the view from this member of the great unwashed in C notes that in this in quite a few eyes was a soft shoot where C class was won with a score of 70?, locally to win C class shoots around here scores are usually over 80! Can anyone who shot this throw any light as to why the C class' shooters found the selection shoot more difficult to build a score than the rest of the entry?

Didn't go so maybe / probably shouldn't comment but the view from this member of the great unwashed in C notes that in this in quite a few eyes was a soft shoot where C class was won with a score of 70?, locally to win C class shoots around here scores are usually over 80! Can anyone who shot this throw any light as to why the C class' shooters found the selection shoot more difficult to build a score than the rest of the entry?
Probably because there were only 30 entries from C class shooters. Whereas there was 122 entries in AA. I imagine most of the C class shooters opted to shoot elsewhere because it was an England selection shoot,and as such would probably be a bit on the stiff side for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
...because all the realy good C class guys were at local shoots!!! B class was won on 91...

There were higher scores in C. Springer (Lorrayne) shot 71 but was entered into ladies class. Maybe other C class ladies/juniors/vets scored higher?

Back