Skeet- the ideal cartridge please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At skeet distances with skeet chokes Jon I expect that the pattern wont have any holes in it when using 7.5s - again Im thinking the pattern wont be any bigger with 9s just more dense which will then probably give better looking breaks right out to the edge of the pattern?

Do you think with 9s its more about the quality of break and the confidence it gives rather than the actual ability to break the clay?

Harley,

You really are reading too much into Skeet mate

Just forget about shells, chokes, guns and all the other sh*t, happy to take you out and give you the basics any time!

Jon.
Jon how do i learn without asking? Im not reading into to it too much, im asking questions and gathering info and then giving it ago mate ;)

Shells for me are important, as once i found one that suits im staying with it, at the moment what im using dont work for me..

Look at it another way. 9's have a limited range, due to energy loss through the size of shot. 7.5's or similar have a far greater killing range (50+ yards) So you do not need a 'long range' shot for close work. The more pellets the better, hence why 9's or equivalent are used.

Unless a competition, i use my normal carts- 7.5/8's

As for the 'grams' thats down to personnel choice.

PS this was more for Alan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeet is a game of Shoot Off's. At the top, you don't win a Skeet comp with 100 straight. You win it with 100 straight, then 25 straight, then doubles on 3,4 and 5, then another 25 straight, then more doubles...

So it really is all about the numbers.

That means the MOST effective pattern you can get. Which translates as a fairly open choke (not too open and certainly not true cylinder) with as many god damn pellets in it you can get.

As for "fringe pellet count", well most chokes wont give you that...many have very hot centres with fewer pellets on the fringes...with 7.5's...fewer still.

There are absolutely no ballistic or technical advantages to using anything other than a 9 or 9.5 shot size at all...none.

Ideally, for skeet, steel 9's are the absolute best cartridge...635 pellets in a 28g.

As for tighter chokes...I have used my U2's...I got great kills. If it was a totally windless day and I was on form, I might use them again.

If you have a good day and you are 75 straight, using 1/4 choke and 7.5's...feeling good! High and Low 1 go the same way...balls of soot.

But...come the doubles, the wind has got up...high one didn't break quite as well because the clay was a bit slower into the wind...Low 1 however is going like the clappers and dropping like a stone. You looked at the bad break on the high bird for a touch too long, swung round, low 1 is passing you by at 10 yards...how big is your pattern at 10 yards with 1/4 choke and 7.5s? Not big enough, because you have rushed and stabbed and ...missed.

So...now you are pissed and unless you can get a grip on that and the increasing wind...that wont be the only one you miss.

Unless you are a former Olympic Gold Medallist or a VERY experienced Skeet shooter...don't use tight chokes and do use 9's :)

I will use GB Super Steel if I have to, but ideally GB White Gold pro Steel.

@ Harley. GB do Super Steel Lite, which is a 21g steel cart. Possibly only available in 7.5, but as it is steel, you get more pellets so this should be OK..

They also do Super Steel 24g Fibre. I think you should try a box of 24g, because I think you would barely notice recoil with the ISIS.

Yep, very interesting Gary. I've not tried any steel cartridges. I'll make sure im allowed to use them at my regular ground and try them out for sure.

Thanks

Would it be of any help if I asked Dave beardsmore what he uses.

As he is world champ, British champ, skeet doubles champ , umpteen other titles and is a friend of mine.

Daz.

Would it be of any help if I asked Dave beardsmore what he uses.

As he is world champ, British champ, skeet doubles champ , umpteen other titles and is a friend of mine.

Daz.
White Gold Pro Steel...9's, as I understand it.

ThickBox_whitegold_prosteel.jpg

He is a friend of my friend...and my friend commented that I use the same carts as Mr Beardsmore.

But yes, it would be cool to confirm what he chooses.

White Gold Pro Steel...9's, as I understand it.

ThickBox_whitegold_prosteel.jpg

He is a friend of my friend...and my friend commented that I use the same carts as Mr Beardsmore.

But yes, it would be cool to confirm what he chooses.

Well unless he has lost his Eley sponsorship I don't think he would be shooting game bore.

I have known Dave for over 8 yrs and in all that time he has been an Eley shooter as was I.

I don't know what cart he uses or what choke set up he has so I was willing to put myself out and ring him to ask the question if it would of been any help to anyone.

I have known Dave for over 8 yrs and in all that time he has been an Eley shooter as was I.

I don't know what cart he uses or what choke set up he has so I was willing to put myself out and ring him to ask the question if it would of been any help to anyone.
Cool...yeah, drop him a message some time, as I say, it would be interesting to know.

I only said GB White Gold Steel as that is what I was told

You can't dismiss and ignore a True Cylinder choke for skeet, especially if your just starting out it'll work very well with any of the afore mentioned cartridges, there are no extra points for 'balls of dust' but if your using skeet as a warm up for sporting by all means tighten your choking but only after your first 25 straight!

You can't dismiss and ignore a True Cylinder choke for skeet, especially if your just starting out it'll work very well with any of the afore mentioned cartridges, there are no extra points for 'balls of dust' but if your using skeet as a warm up for sporting by all means tighten your choking but only after your first 25 straight!
If you only have say Skeet and Cylinder in your choke selection, then yes use it, obviously.

However, it has been observed that cylinder at 0 thou constriction, throws a less desirable pattern than a choke with 2 thou of constriction. You need a touch of choke for a nice skeet pattern. Normally, 6 though or there abouts with Skeet chokes.

So I wouldn't suggest that people perhaps source two cylinder chokes and use them for skeet, thinking that being wide open is best....that is what I was getting at, sorry I didn't make it clear.

Umm.......can't you just make sure the gun is pointing in the right direction and not worry about chokes and carts? :huh:

Just my opinion, but as has also been said many times before, by very competent shooters, this game isn't as precision a sport as people think.

That said, I guess if it works for you, crack on. ;) :D

We dont need to bother about all this noncense in trap ... fixed three quarter and full, shove two bullet things in, point in general direction of orange blurrrrr and pull trigger at some point. Works a treat.

Umm.......can't you just make sure the gun is pointing in the right direction and not worry about chokes and carts? :huh:

Just my opinion, but as has also been said many times before, by very competent shooters, this game isn't as precision a sport as people think.

That said, I guess if it works for you, crack on. ;) :D
Exactly Tony! Do whatever works for you. Anyone who wants REAL precision should look to rifle/pistol shooting, but for me it was not as much fun as clays! As for chokes, well I have eliminated that problem, I have almost always shot fixed choke, it's one less thing to worry about, or bugger about with ! :D

Back