Skeet- the ideal cartridge please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley

I'm going to concentrate on Skeet for a while, to help build a foundation for improvement, I have also found out I have a nasty disc in my neck causing me grief , so I want to reduce the load to 24 or even 21g.

Should I concentrate on 24g 8's or 9's for Skeet or can I go 21g?

Your recommendation here will be very well received ;)

I assume that you mean practice, not competition, so 21g will be perfect. Cheap, low recoil and the loss of 3g of shot might cost you one lost target in 100. So what..

If you want to be tough on yourself, use Hull plas. They pattern tightly, so you in theory have to be more accurate. They will give you more feedback about whether you are knocking the front or back off the clay. In fact, I suggest you use a bit of choke as this will teach you more. (If you are hitting less than 16/17, use skeet choke until you are getting 22). IMO.

Oh and you need 9 shot like a fish needs a bicycle. They don't spread any wider necessarily. All you get is a dustier kill. And you can't really use them for a round of sporting when you get bored of skeet.. :)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only use fibre, where I'm going to practise, so 21g 8's is what I need to be looking at then.. ;)

My highest score is 15 but I like the idea of using a bit of choke as well, once I'm a bit better.

Cheers.

Perfect. Skeet IS good practice for ESP early days, as long as you mix it with ESP I would say..

buy a few different shell's to compare recoil , as to shot size , 9's are the most commonly used on skeet but incorrect technique will cost you more target's than any perceived incorrect cartridge

Is there a real noticeable difference, generally between a 21g and 28g with a given leeed?

Is there a real noticeable difference, generally between a 21g and 28g with a given leeed?
Its the FPS not the grams.

At skeet ranges the amounts between a slow and fast cartridge will be in inches if your lucky!

Concentrate on your technique, rather than worry about your carts.

I never bother with how fast/slow a cartridge is at that sort of distance, or any come to that! just go and shoot!

Harley,

you are going to get a slightly smaller effective patern with the 21g than you would with 28g so effectively you are creating a similar result to putting in a tighter choke. you will be reducing you're margin for error but as a previous poster points out you will get improved feedback on those targets that you dont centre the patern on, in other words you are more likely to see if you are hitting on the front or the back edges of a target. This feedback will assist you in getting the correct picture for the required forward allowance for the shot. What you should not do with this visual information is to deliberately try to reduce or increase that forward allowance, just allow your sub-concious to digest what you are seeing and then let your instincts fine tune themselves. If you allow yourself to try and make concious adjustments you will finish up looking back to your barrel to check on leed and tthe result will be another lost target, keep your eyesd fixed firmly on the target and let your natural hand eye co-ordination do the work.

I'd certainly advocate trying a few different brands of 24g & 21g loads to find what is most comfortable for you to use as if you start to notice the recoil your only going to damage yourself and your shooting. Hope that helps.

Try Eley hush powers. 28gram, full pattern, full hitting power, virtually no recoil..

My wife shoots these and she went from shooting maybe 25 shots with other carts to shooting 75 or 100 with no effect to her hence she could shoot more so therefore practice more also.

I have shot them through my gun at distance to test pattern and energy and the Broke a 40 yard crosser with confidence.

They are subsonic carts with no loss of performance.

Whatever you decide on have fun

Daz.

Comp X or express 21g both do a 9 and if you can get them around you Victory compaks in 24g do a 7.5,8 or 9 (plas wad only in these) Quite a good solution as you can get 7.5s for sporting/trap and 9s for skeet its a good compromise from 28 grams

Harley,

you are going to get a slightly smaller effective patern with the 21g than you would with 28g so effectively you are creating a similar result to putting in a tighter choke. you will be reducing you're margin for error but as a previous poster points out you will get improved feedback on those targets that you dont centre the patern on, in other words you are more likely to see if you are hitting on the front or the back edges of a target. This feedback will assist you in getting the correct picture for the required forward allowance for the shot. What you should not do with this visual information is to deliberately try to reduce or increase that forward allowance, just allow your sub-concious to digest what you are seeing and then let your instincts fine tune themselves. If you allow yourself to try and make concious adjustments you will finish up looking back to your barrel to check on leed and tthe result will be another lost target, keep your eyesd fixed firmly on the target and let your natural hand eye co-ordination do the work.

I'd certainly advocate trying a few different brands of 24g & 21g loads to find what is most comfortable for you to use as if you start to notice the recoil your only going to damage yourself and your shooting. Hope that helps.
Interesting to hear that 21gm pattern a choke tighter than 28. Was this test done on a pattern plate?

Interesting to hear that 21gm pattern a choke tighter than 28. Was this test done on a pattern plate?
In theory at any rate the diameter of any given load or in fact gauge should not be any different. In other words a half choke pattern thrown through a 20 gauge should be indistinguishable from one thrown from a 12 gauge. I see no reason why a 21g load would throw narrower patterns, more sparsely populated yes but that is a given.

I can see there being more gaps per shot on a 21g, but should hope the pattern size would be dictated by the choke, some good advice above ;)

Sent from my iFone using Tapatalk

Fuz, I will see if park street does comp x, I tried rio 24g he said there good, but were7.5 and I really want eights or nines if possible

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you have an Isis do you not?

In that case, 24g will be fine and can give a better pattern than 28. If you don't use 9's you are reducing the amount of pellets quite considerably, especially with lead.

Did we upset you on FB last night?

No not at all mate, it sunk in about the grounds, I was just gutted as its so close to me...

Yes the isis2 is part of the self help, to continue shooting, as my discs are in a bad state, so if I can reduce the recoil and learn while I'm still new to the game, my hope is the reduction will help me long term.

No not at all mate, it sunk in about the grounds, I was just gutted as its so close to me...

Yes the isis2 is part of the self help, to continue shooting, as my discs are in a bad state, so if I can reduce the recoil and learn while I'm still new to the game, my hope is the reduction will help me long term.
Cool. No, once you know what you are doing with skeet, that ground will be fine for practice etc. But, you would do far better by learning at grounds that are the norm, and adjusting when you practice...than learning at a ground that is the exception, then being screwed at comps and registered shoots.

If you have the Isis, don't cripple yourself by using 21g, you shouldn't even notice 24g.

Express do a cartridge called Pro Skeet, which is 9.5 shot...or go for the cheaper HV in 9's.

Other than that, where you are able to, use steel 9's.

Dartford isn't too far from you is it? Shoot there when you can and they have trap and a sporting layout too.

Back