Shotsize 10

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40UP

Shot 50 of the new Fiocchi F-Skeet shot size 10 yesterday at Doveridge. Patterned great though the piston wad goes through the parrern board and another 20 yards. Low recoil, 24gm. Broke Olympic Skeet targets pointed anywhere near them. Could not remove the soft lead from the barrel walls, not Napier, Clensoil, Parker-Hale 009, Bisley Bore cleaner, not soaked for 24 hour, no amount of bronze brush. Just back from the gunsmith who's lapping the barrel for me. Oops.

So you wont be using them again then :) '

DT

PS: what's 'lapping the barrels' when its at home?

So you wont be using them again then :) '

DT

PS: what's 'lapping the barrels' when its at home?
The Gunsmith has a long tongue ?

Shot 50 of the new Fiocchi F-Skeet shot size 10 yesterday at Doveridge. Patterned great though the piston wad goes through the parrern board and another 20 yards. Low recoil, 24gm. Broke Olympic Skeet targets pointed anywhere near them. Could not remove the soft lead from the barrel walls, not Napier, Clensoil, Parker-Hale 009, Bisley Bore cleaner, not soaked for 24 hour, no amount of bronze brush. Just back from the gunsmith who's lapping the barrel for me. Oops.
No good on Rabbits then ?

Where's Salopian when you need him. Spindle thingy goes round and round, barrel pushed in and out. One slip and you've got an overbore. Eight boxes for the shotsize 10 collection.

I'd have been tempted to put a box of regular shells through the gun first. 

Gunsmith says more game guns are coming in coated in lead. Somebody is using less antimony to make lead shot. We came to the conclusion that any solvent that removed copper, lead and gunmakers lungs isn't allowed any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are saying 5% antimony so shouldnt be any softer if they arnt telling porkies.
With there being no petals on the wad any gas escape might effect the shot. It was smeared along the first eight inch of the bore. Traditional size chamber, cone and bore. The barrel is often used with fibre game cartridges and cleans with spray and a tissue driven through.

Hull's coppered shot is causing no problem. Collected a slab of Zenith today but not tested them yet. Both those are fibre which may have a self cleaning effect in line with what Hamster says.

Having your barrels lapped is a bit extreme, I have a chamber brush on a rod and a cordless drill with some barrel solvent! Works every time.

Hi Andy, we all know the cordless drill, the chamber brush, the steel Turks head, the 4" phosphor bronze brush. What is your solvent that we haven't used?

whatever I've got in the garage! Youngs 303, PH 009 or Hoppes No9 their all the same.  They smell exactly the same as a solvent we used when I was in the RAF to clean ADEN guns, that was called stripalene 440. 

I had some pitting in the barrels of my kemen before I sold it (nothing serious) took it to Wisemans of cannock who lapped the barrels to remove it.  Before they started they gave it a good clean on a power rotating cleaning rod to remove some lead and plastic fouling.  They used, on the end of the rod, an abrasive fabric which looked like micro mesh, an extremely fine abrasive which we use for polishing (various grades available the finest is 12000 yes 12000 grit). 

I've even heard of people using car polish (not wax) on a woolen mop!  not sure if I would though.

I have a proper ceramic barrel hone i got from the states,  use some old parker hale cleaner (tryclorethaline, not liked by hse) makes all things shiny again, even the back of eyeballs if youget too close in a confined space

Kitchen green in the ultrasonic is good as well, brings anything back to as good as new, not as savage as citric acid..

Fiocchi have been playing with soft shot in the Helice shells, it spreads on impact and kills better, rather than going through the target, so maybe they have used that same batch of lead for the number 10's....

I use a small bottle called Ignore. I've had it for absolutely ages and it seems to just last and last. 

I use fine steel wool wrapped around an old bronze brush, any of the above solvents, at present 009, into a short section of aluminium rod and electric drill. Unless actually pitted, like the above Kemen, never had a failure yet. Having said that, I have not had occasion to go to these extremes with my current cartridge choice.

I have it on got authority that Scotchbrite combined with a good barrel cleaner and a Hitachi progressive portable drill/driver is the way to go. I do ask though who give a toss about as bit of lead on the bores... not me... I use Clever... Clever guaranteed to keep you forcing cone sparkling. Clever they bust clays and keep your bores cleaner than a Monks bad habit :)... Its the latest Clever ad dont'cha know

Back