Shot size

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Sure this must have  been asked before but will ask anyway. What is the opinion of using Italian No8 for first barrel in UT ? I have only ever used 7.5's but the thought of a few extra pellets in the load for the first barrel make good sense being as most targets are shot at fairly short distance.

Any things worth a try mate, I only ever used to shoot rc2's 7 1/2's with 3/4 and full choke in my zoli, very good kills! Give it a go on some practice rounds

nothing at all wrong with English 7 1/2 with enough choke Imo. When I was reasonably good which seems a long time ago now I shot 8s both barrels for abt I did shoot very fast in those days.

I may be too Luddite or something on this but it seems that increments of 0.1mm in shot size is maybe too anal.  The jump in US sizes from 2.2 to 2.4 is granted some significance but the 8's(2.2mm) will break targets at insane distances.  Even in 24gm loads with some choke like Ian says.  The 2.2mm also has enough moxie to kill pigeons so that has to say something, and it is plenty for ZZs as well.  So the 2.3mm Italian things I'm guessing would be just fine.

And random samples of bags of shot for reloading, premium stuff too, shows an inconsistency that you prolly don't want to know about.

Well it would appear that I should give it a try with the 8's. I have been shooting with Clever T3 and T4 as the T2's I normally use are not available at the moment and absolutely great cartridge but at about €40 per thou more a bit expensive for me but I did shoot 48 ex 50 UT yesterday including a straight so the mind does wonder... but I think it is more where you shoot no what you shoot to be fair.

Using Italian 8's on UT in the first barrel will be fine. Italian 8's = English 71/2's.

Italian 8's = 2.3mm. I have used T3 8's in both barrels on OT and have no problems breaking targets with the second barrel.

Try these in practice so you have confidence to use them in competition.

One thing to remember is to shot them as you would 71/2's, do not change your timing to shot them quicker because they are smaller shot than you are used to.

I may be too Luddite or something on this but it seems that increments of 0.1mm in shot size is maybe too anal.  The jump in US sizes from 2.2 to 2.4 is granted some significance but the 8's(2.2mm) will break targets at insane distances.  Even in 24gm loads with some choke like Ian says.  The 2.2mm also has enough moxie to kill pigeons so that has to say something, and it is plenty for ZZs as well.  So the 2.3mm Italian things I'm guessing would be just fine.

And random samples of bags of shot for reloading, premium stuff too, shows an inconsistency that you prolly don't want to know about.Premium European shot is much better than your American stuff 

so is "europion" a brand name?

It would certainly be illuminating to see a statistical analysis of the diametric variability in different brands of shot and factory ammo.  Not to mention the hardness issues.

"It would certainly be illuminating to see a statistical analysis of the diametric variability in different brands of shot and factory ammo."

Well we have been here before re the difference in cartridges vs price of said cartridges but you never hear a cartridge manufacturer give anything other than the fact that a world champion endorses the use of a particular cartridge as proof that it is better than another cartridge. The shooting public are, I think, somewhat gullible when it comes to thinking that an expensive cartridge is going to be better at breaking clay targets than a cheaper cartridge just because of the price difference and the fact a really good shooter uses them to win championships... as though the fact the shooter is not the sole arbiter of putting the load on the target.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think part of the problem is that in the US a lot of people reload their own shells using bought in lead shot which may have come from recycled lead shot so there is obviously going to be a lot of issues with regards to the uniformity and quality of the shot. 

Back in the 80's I have to admit there seemed to be a lot more mis shaped/mixed size ammo around, these days I think most are pretty damn good. 

I think part of the problem is that in the US a lot of people reload their own shells using bought in lead shot which may have come from recycled lead shot so there is obviously going to be a lot of issues with regards to the uniformity and quality of the shot. 

Back in the 80's I have to admit there seemed to be a lot more mis shaped/mixed size ammo around, these days I think most are pretty damn good. 
​Not to get into a discussion about shot production process but material source would have nothing to do with the uniformity of the product.  Quality machines properly run produce quality product.  Hard to believe that production facilities in place for tens of decades haven't figured that out.  I mean you spin the plate at X rpm and X size shot fall out.  How hard is that?

Back