Shooting glasses for spec wearers ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

I wear glasses 24/7, and these have a pretty eoxpensive varifical lens fitted.

What are my options for shootiing glasses that offer ballistic protection but alos maybe a change of clour lens if required ?

I also wear bifocals 24/7. Am as blind as a bat without them and the lens I have are pretty thick. The Rangers do an insert which are screwed to the frame then it’s very easy to change the coloured lenses or if your prescription is pretty stable I have Rangers with two prescription lenses but as Will said, Specsavers do a range which I might try if my sight has changed again when I go back in a month or so.

I wear glasses 24/7, and these have a pretty eoxpensive varifical lens fitted.

What are my options for shootiing glasses that offer ballistic protection but alos maybe a change of clour lens if required ?
Am also a variofocal glasses wearer, it’s ridiculously expensive to have prescription lenses let alone same in multiple colours, if you want multiple colours then contact lenses & regular shooting glasses / colour options may be your only viable choice. In my own experience prescription lenses have a relatively short (very expensive) life span.

Am also a variofocal glasses wearer, it’s ridiculously expensive to have prescription lenses let alone same in multiple colours, if you want multiple colours then contact lenses & regular shooting glasses / colour options may be your only viable choice. In my own experience prescription lenses have a relatively short (very expensive) life span.
You don’t try and shoot in varifocals Rich? That just doesn’t work. And again, coloured prescription lenses from Specsavers is a cheap and pretty good solution.

You don’t try and shoot in varifocals Rich? That just doesn’t work. And again, coloured prescription lenses from Specsavers is a cheap and pretty good solution.
Ah I’ve not explained that / muppets usage very well, you are indeed correct variofocal lenses for shooting does not work at all. My prescription lenses are set for the distance setting only.

I wear varifocals daily too, I got a pair of Wiley X Sabre Advanced. They have interchangeable lenses & a clip in prescription lens. The have a reasonable choice of coloured lenses at a reasonable price. I only have a single, distance prescription in mine & really like them.

Search “Specsavers” on this site. Several threads I’ve commented on.
Yes I am just going there Will

Ultra drive yellow lens. This isn’t to be confused with their super drive vari focal offering which is all you see on a google search.

i have been onto them ultra drive tint is discontinued. shame

now sevenoaks called me and say, they do still do it. i will go into store and try and order them.

ZS frames from JHS eyewear are really comfortable to wear , nice high fit and adjustable bridge . polycarbonate lens for sporting shooting where you might get clay fragments . JHS have been supplying shooting specs for donkey years not interchangeable lens , but the cost is right and you can get a couple of prescription pairs for reasonable money .

The original post mentioned ballistic protection. For shooting glasses this means meeting either the European standard safety glasses standard EN 166F or the USA standard Z87.
Pillars, Randolph's, Wiley and Oakley shooting glasses are therefore certified to Z87.
Evolution, Bolle, X sight are among those certified to EN 166F.
I believe most of the above offer options for prescription inserts.
J H Seward & Optilabs offer prescription shooting glasses with a variety of lense colours, both mention safety on their websites but I could find no mention of being tested to EN166 so best to enquire.
The standard is not just about the impact resistance of the lens but the frame as well.

Regards

Leigh

The original post mentioned ballistic protection. For shooting glasses this means meeting either the European standard safety glasses standard EN 166F or the USA standard Z87.
Pillars, Randolph's, Wiley and Oakley shooting glasses are therefore certified to Z87.
Evolution, Bolle, X sight are among those certified to EN 166F.
I believe most of the above offer options for prescription inserts.
J H Seward & Optilabs offer prescription shooting glasses with a variety of lense colours, both mention safety on their websites but I could find no mention of being tested to EN166 so best to enquire.
The standard is not just about the impact resistance of the lens but the frame as well.

Regards

Leigh

I mentioned ballistic as I wasn’t sure what other word I needed.

Just looking for protection for clay frags as mentioned above.

I mentioned ballistic as I wasn’t sure what other word I needed.

Just looking for protection for clay frags as mentioned above.
I can’t quantify how protective they are, but they look very sturdy to me. They are definitely shatterproof material (I did check). Also, being prescription they are inherently fairly thick lenses. I know I sound like they’re paying me, but having had all sorts from the big name obvious sources I’ve never been happier and that includes the actual vision. I have the Ultradrive (orange) and the brown also. My only wish is that maybe they offered a darker brown as a third option for very bright days. Perhaps they do now..

Whilst I appreciate individual choice it's when things go wrong that concerns me. CPSA rules are a bit feeble, shooters must wear glasses, but it is only recommended that they are safety approved. However under the General rules
'2.70 Referees and Jury members have the power and the responsibility to stop anyone stepping on to a shooting stand or standing by, or officiating in an event, unless they are seen to be appropriately wearing some standard form of proprietary hearing and eye protection'
I take proprietary to mean recognised.
Safety glasses are mandatory in FITASC rules and I do challenge shooters such as those wearing their standard prescription glasses with thin wire frames, or Georgia Armani sunglasses who as far as I am aware don't make safety glasses.
As a Referee I don't want the HSE knocking on my door if someone gets injured, asking what did I know about it and what did I do about it.
One other consideration is that if someone suffered an eye injury from falling shot/debris and they made a injury claim, then could contributory negligence be used if they were not wearing recognised safety glasses?

Regards

Leigh

I take the point about “recognised” for legal matters. Totally agree little wire frame type glasses are no good, on various levels. Safety glasses as used on a factory floor are not practical for shooting with their bulky frames, never mind the lack of colours and prescription.

I always reckon the most safety critical item for your eyes while shooting is a decent brim on a hat. It’s rare that clay shatter hits you from anywhere except above. In 25 years shooting I’ve been hit on the head many times but nothing has made it to my face. (I’m not saying it can’t happen).

I can’t quantify how protective they are, but they look very sturdy to me. They are definitely shatterproof material (I did check). Also, being prescription they are inherently fairly thick lenses. I know I sound like they’re paying me, but having had all sorts from the big name obvious sources I’ve never been happier and that includes the actual vision. I have the Ultradrive (orange) and the brown also. My only wish is that maybe they offered a darker brown as a third option for very bright days. Perhaps they do now..
The ultra drive browny yellow I have ordered, they also had blue? Anyway. £110

sorted.

the most versatile lens I’ve got in the ZS frames is a yellow to photochromatic dark brown . Great on game days as well as clays . ZS were once called Zeiss Sport and distributed by Zeiss . I first wore them nigh on forty years ago . They are no longer connected to Zeiss , who now push Pilla as the the go to lens with more colours than Farrow and Ball . I reckon millions and millions and millions of clays must have been shot by people wearing this frame .

Latest posts

Back