Scottish shooters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deershooter

If James Johnson thinks Scottish shoots are much harder than English shoots and the Scott's can shoot better why is there no Scottish shooters in the top 20 and why have they not won the British open sporting ?

Deershooter

As TD says, Willie Gordon won the British in 2002 and there can't be any Scots in the CPSA top 20's because we are in a different country with a different Assosiation...SCTA!?!? ;)

Well I must say James that was a very mellow reply for you considering the obvious attempt to start an argument ;)

Most English sporting shooters would hate most Scottish sporting shoots...10x10, lots of edge on, poor weather, very often real sh*tty weather, some amazing grounds, lack of facilities at a few of them, generally if the wind makes a few hard targets 'crazy' hard or just unfair...you have 5 pairs to shoot!!! In general, the English shoots I've shot have been much fairer to shoot, battue's up here almost always have to be shot edge on because of how they are set, clays at distance tend to be edgy and when you get a hard stand with a tough bird and a tricky bird...the hard bird in normally first with the tricky bird on report. We only have 14-15 100 bird registered shoots a year, for the country!!! To shoot registered lots of guys at just about any shoot will have a 5+ hour round trip drive.

Well I must say James that was a very mellow reply for you considering the obvious attempt to start an argument ;)
He's the type of guy who shouldn't drink on an empty head!!! It wouldn't be fair to rip into him...

At the moment, there are realistically, probably only about 4 consistant top quality sporting shooters in Scotland, by that I mean guys who are genuinely good AAA's wherever they shoot. That's not being nasty, it's the truth.england has dozens of top AAA's...

He's the type of guy who shouldn't drink on an empty head!!! It wouldn't be fair to rip into him...
Ha. Your defo mellowing my friend as it's never stopped you before.

Insert friendly tongue in cheek smiley thing.

Can't comment on the state of Scottish shooting but I accept what you say.

It's just numbers of shooters and logistics ips ...there are more sporting shooters in the East Midlands than in the whole of Scotland and our grounds are spread far apart. It is what it is.

Must be frustrating with the lack of grounds to shoot when  compared to the sheer number we have down south think golf would be a better option for me!

It is Shaun, if i don't fancy the ground hosting a registered shoot, assuming that there is a registered sporting shoot on, tough...there is no other registered sporting on in the country!!! It's a case of go shoot a club shoot, practice or shoot trap/skeet instead. It is what it is...

Steve only lives in 'poverty' cos he's spends all the pocket money Alison gives him shooting mid week shoots at Churchill's, Coleys and Saturday FITASC shoots!!!

Most English sporting shooters would hate most Scottish sporting shoots...10x10, lots of edge on, poor weather, very often real sh*tty weather, some amazing grounds, lack of facilities at a few of them, generally if the wind makes a few hard targets 'crazy' hard or just unfair...you have 5 pairs to shoot!!! In general, the English shoots I've shot have been much fairer to shoot, battue's up here almost always have to be shot edge on because of how they are set, clays at distance tend to be edgy and when you get a hard stand with a tough bird and a tricky bird...the hard bird in normally first with the tricky bird on report. We only have 14-15 100 bird registered shoots a year, for the country!!! To shoot registered lots of guys at just about any shoot will have a 5+ hour round trip drive.
One thing that may reasonably be deduced from this is that setting up edgy battues and overtly hard/unfair shoots doesn't ultimately teach anyone much. 

You gotta hit clays to learn, as people have said in the past : I can set up shoots where NOBODY could hit over 60%, that neither makes me clever nor help anyone improve. 

One thing that may reasonably be deduced from this is that setting up edgy battues and overtly hard/unfair shoots doesn't ultimately teach anyone much.

You gotta hit clays to learn, as people have said in the past : I can set up shoots where NOBODY could hit over 60%, that neither makes me clever nor help anyone improve.
It does teach some people how to 'dig in' when it's a tough shoot of shore weather!!! I never said setting up edgy battue's ect was 'right'...

Back