Problem picking out clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either you are saying I have the youthful good looks of an adolescent, if that is the case I thank you, if you are implying I look like a wizened old man, bog off :.: :.:

Cheers Westward, any idea what are the best value for money cartridges for £200?

Fuz, I've bogged off. But your wife is pretty, blind , and has poor taste.

Not had time to sit and reply to this in any kind of depth but wanted to comment.

It is all too easy for the experienced shot to say "do this or do that" but in reality the eyes are a very unique piece of us. They react different to differing targets / colours and situations for each an every one of us. The subject of lenses often comes up at shooting grounds and i find it amusing that people will recommend a certain "tint" based upon what suits them as a shooter.

For instance my eyes function best with really light tints and getting as much light into them as possible whereas i know my mate much prefers and has much better success in dark lenses. You'll often see us at shoots shooting the same layouts with me wearing an almost clear tint and him in one that you can barely see his eyes through. Horses for courses.

Also the individual backgrounds will play a big part and any issues with colour blindness (that you might not know you have) in that you can LOSE certain colours as combinations. Not nessesarily the same colours and only those but differing combinations. Fooling you into thinking that you have a "sight issue" rather than a "colours issue".

As a side note and i am sure 99% of people reading this will know. The eyes are essentially a muscle and you can train them to work in a certain manner. The type of target you describe is one of the MOST difficult for our eyes to read correctly. The RISING and GOING away movement is typically the complete opposite of our normal muscle use of our eyes and this action is slower to react than the other direction. If you look at how the eye is made up of the directional muscles it is possible to "train" them to make the outwards and upwards move and for it to become more natural and memorized.

Here i will ask - would you dream of driving a 100miles and getting out the car and grabbing the gun and start shooting without relaxing and stretching? The same applies to your eyes - exercise them and warm them up! This might sound stupid but it is the truth - your eyes are what guide you and mean that the rest can just happen.

If you visit an optician - don't just settle for the "you have 20/20 vision sir" - get into details about the other aspects of your eyes. In reality the 20/20 aspects of vision have little impact on clay shooting. It is more important that the eyes are corrected for depth, tracking and aquasition type faults. You can be able to see the queens head on a coin at a huge distance but without the correct VISION movement and muscle memory for shooting its useless to you.

DO NOT be tempted to close one eye to shoot the targets. This is often preached but you are hindering yourself as you will lose the depth part of your vision and also some 3D aspects. This is not a wise road to go down.

If you are into eyes then have a read of "An insight into sports" by DR By Wayne Martin - quite a heavy read but if you pardon the pun its an eye opener.

Thanks for that Skeetfreak, I have been in touch with Ed Lyons and he has suggested some interesting courses of action. Reading your post I am leaning toward tint colour rather than eyesight as "normal" black or blaze teal type targets are no problem, it does seem to be a background/low light thing.

Fuz, I could come round to your place to train in low light situations.

Bugger my tags just gone off.

I'll get my coat.

Latest posts

Back