Peli Storm Case - foam cutting and what to take?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky T

I've invested in a Peli Storm case for the upcoming hop across the pond for Seminole, so will soon be hacking into the foam and getting it cut to size for gun, barrels and other accessories.

I've checked out a couple of decent videos on YouTube that utilise an electric carving knife to do this so that all looks simple enough, but wanted to know if any of the regular travellers had any suggestions for other useful items that I should be looking to squeeze into the case for my travels?

Finally, any recommendations on what locks to use? I'm sure that these TSA approved ones will do the trick: http://www.samcases.co.uk/peli-storm-cases/storm-misc-accessories.htm but wondered if there are any other options?

Bob_P took an electric carving knife to mine to get my gun fitted.... took the top layer of the foam out, turned it over, drew round my gun (stock and then foreend/barrels attached)  and cut it out.

Also left a couple of rectangular spaces - one had a tupperware box with gun oil, chokes, a boresnake (for quick cleaning while I was away), and a cloth for wiping the gun down.   

Then i bought a napier rollup gunslip which fitted perfectly in the second space... I have pictures somewhere - will see if I can dig them out. 

Willpoon off P/Watch has one, pm him to find out what he used to cut the foam. He made a tidy job of it too.

I took my case to a foam place down the road and also took the gun, the guy did all the cutting with his tools, took him 10 mins, he also swapped the foam that came with the case with much better quality stuff.

I used heavy duty padlocks with mine.

I remember reading that TSA locks weren't appropriate for firearms, sorry can't remember where. They are brilliant cases, albeit unwieldy, struggled to get mine in a small hire car, had to drop the seats.

I used heavy duty padlocks with mine.

I remember reading that TSA locks weren't appropriate for firearms, sorry can't remember where. They are brilliant cases, albeit unwieldy, struggled to get mine in a small hire car, had to drop the seats.
Made worse by the fact we had two gun cases, luggage for three... in a 1-series bimmer. 

Aquaint yourself well with the USA's rules and regulations on travelling  with firearms?  At one time your shotgun case had to be unlocked when boarding planes in the USA and have inside the case a orange

card saying FIREARM UNLOADED, but all this could have changed since 2006 (the last time Iwas in the US.

Nick it's relatively easy as you've probably watched afew being cut out on youtube . 2 tips for you , firstly let the electric knife do the work for you as in don't drag the blade when your cutting, it gives a smoother cut.

Secondly and most important as you can see on my picture depending on how you want to place the barrels in the case i.e lay flat or vertical like mine make sure there's enough room cut out below the forend otherwise when you close the case the foam will squash some of the checquering :no: I managed to notice it on a small part of one of the forends.

c9c624e45f00f1d16d15326254240855_zpsbb13c262.jpg

Back