Budget Flight Case

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Following on from previous threads regarding robust flight cases which tended to always seem to return to Peli or Storm cases, which are mega expensive (in this country anyway!!) we had a need for a robust gun sized case at work to store/transport some expensive test equipment and I found a cheaper alternative to the Peli/Storm cases but which appears to offer similar levels of protection. 

The case is a new product ( I think) to the Plano range of cases and is called the All Weather Tactical Rifle case (gotta love the Yanks). It cost us in the region of £120 inc postage via Amazon (next day delivery) which is about half the cost of a Peli case.

The case arrived this morning and while not quite as robust or good quality as the Peli case it certainly seems more than up to the job of looking after your 'precious' during the rigours of air travel (or any other form of travel for that matter). It comes with full foam fill and the top layer is pre-cut into squares for easy shaping around your gun. It comes with two key operated locks and 5 catches. Holes are also provided to apply two padlocks if you are are really paranoid!

The only real downside is does not have wheels so needs to be carried at all times. 

If these had been available six months ago I would have bought one instead of the Peli.

Details here:

http://planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=126&PID=1326

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plano-Weather-Rifle-Black-Handles/dp/B00IO15ENU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G10QQYBRP87HJC7VV7F

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a plano case with a Krieghoff sticker being bounced through Seattle airport last week... looked really good to me. 

Remember though....if you love your gun....and the airline loaders stand on it....or drop it off the moving truck (that it should not have been on) I promise you.....you will not want a bendy or less ridged one.

Ask to jump up on it and see what gives :wink:

Last edited:
Airplane baggage handlers treat your luggage with the utmost respect. Surely ?

A parcel or package is just one of millions that have to be stacked, moved, unloaded, reloaded countless times by the overworked and underpaid to meet impossible schedules set by office geeks sat somewhere in an cosy office probably in another country.

You really can't protect your precious enough.

How do you get on if your transiting through the good ol U.S of?

Last time I flew through there, there was a stipulation that all luggage must be unlocked , and if it wasn't unlocked, they would remove locks

forcibly at your loss

I Thought guns cases in transit were to be kept locked at all times when out of your control?

:santa:  

Buy a cheap case at your peril. £250 cases are not expensive if you want your £2/3/4/5/6/7/8K shotgun to survive the journey in one piece. ( or three pieces come to that! )

How do you get on if your transiting through the good ol U.S of?

Last time I flew through there, there was a stipulation that all luggage must be unlocked , and if it wasn't unlocked, they would remove locks

forcibly at your loss

I Thought guns cases in transit were to be kept locked at all times when out of your control?

:santa:
Leave the case locks unlocked and use a couple of TSA pad locks to secure the case. American airports have a TSA key allowing them to open the padlocks without damage and then re-lock once they have checked out the contents. Simples :)  

I would caveat the above by saying I have never transported a gun in the US !

DT

Plano may be OK stuff for around town, but I've gotten these cases for real travel.  They get little press seemingly from anyone but me so I show them off every chance I get.  Way not expensive, welded aluminum, and I drove a car over one just to check.  Might not win awards for beauty but they make Americases look like Plano.

I know that it'd be a total PITA to get one in the UK but you should know that there is good stuff out there if you really need it.

http://www.ziegeleng.com/pg2.htm

But can they pass the baggage handler test? Hope the link works:

Airplane baggage handlers treat your luggage with the utmost respect. Surely ?
Saw a big fat bloke stood on mine once to get a better lift into the hold for other cases. Not amused...!!

Also had a case broken at the corner through some abuse. Luckily gun not damaged.

As for the opening of cases in US.....I have not experienced that myself ...but other yanks that i shoot with, have had it done to them when they have been Europe bound. And movable parts like chokes....nicked. Take care peeps.

Saw a big fat bloke stood on mine once to get a better lift into the hold for other cases. Not amused...!!

Also had a case broken at the corner through some abuse. Luckily gun not damaged.

As for the opening of cases in US.....I have not experienced that myself ...but other yanks that i shoot with, have had it done to them when they have been Europe bound. And movable parts like chokes....nicked. Take care peeps.
The very reason that I never used a plastic case.

Inside the US travel is no prob.  Gun has to go in checked baggage of course.  At check in the contents are verified and the case locked - my locks.  I also tape the locks down because it makes me fell better and I'd know instantly if someone had been at it.  Guns on flights here since the 9/11 business are much more secure since they are being WATCHED!  I'd bet very very very few guns go missing anymore.

If cases are being opened in transit that is def against every rule thingie and totally not authorized.  Again - metal case and my locks and TSA policy have not been a problem.

YMMV of course

I had a Plano rifle case a while ago, it was cheap and very poor quality. So much so I sent it back. Don't skimp on quality, buy a Peli or Americase and expect to spend a minimum of £300.

Horse for courses....and you don't intentional put a donkey in the national and hope to win :wink:

I had a Plano rifle case a while ago, it was cheap and very poor quality. So much so I sent it back. Don't skimp on quality, buy a Peli or Americase and expect to spend a minimum of £300.
Peli 1760 £60 and a hargigg 3100 £100 from the ebay with a little patience

Back