My New Boy

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilR

Meet Milo, he's a 21 month old lab who's going to be my peg dog and pigeon hide companion, although he doesn't know it yet :preved:    He arrived on Sunday and is still finding his way around Rowley Manor.  We're spending quality time together bonding at the moment, he's asleep under my chair snoring as I type!

It's 53 years since I last had a dog. I was ten and Sandy was a 10 bob mongrel born in a garage a few doors from home.  I hope that Milo and I have as much fun as Sandy and I did all those years ago.  

post-648-0-80515500-1418727178.jpg

post-648-0-01508600-1418727186.jpg

Attachments

• 20141215_145620 comp.jpg
    20141215_145620 comp.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20141215_203406 comp.jpg
    20141215_203406 comp.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
Gorgeous face, the dog that is :)  May you have many, many  happy times together.

Very nice, will you be training it to carry your cartridge bag on to the OT layout ?

He will no doubt bring happiness and exasperation in equal proportions. However the one thing about dogs is that they show unconditional love - a rare thing - and that is all that matters.

We had a syndicate shoot yesterday, the Christmas shoot is always a bit more relaxed, some kids and partners in attendance.  Mary had charge of Milo to introduce him to the guns, beaters and dogs.  He was pretty excited but fortunately the dogs all got along with him, it's at close quarters in the gun bus or beater's wagon.

Mary stood back away from the shooting line with him on the lead.  He wasn't affected by the gun fire and was let off the lead after drives finished for a run around when it wouldn't affect other drives to be done.

On the penultimate drive I was peg #1 in a wood in which we'd created a new drive during the summer and this was it's first time being used. Mary and Milo came in with me and I asked Mary to let Milo off the lead should I manage to shoot any birds.  There were several woodcock put up and I managed to down one, Mary let Milo off the lead and the little star managed to find it and bring it back to her, I then shot a cock pheasant and he did the same.

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.  He was absolutely spark out when we got in, and stayed that way until his bedtime walk.

That's going to be his only trip to the shoot this season as his discipline to basic commands is patchy when there's something to distract him and I don't want an unruly dog, so there's the three of us to be educated. 

All sounding positive with Milo. Sounds like he'll look after you and a beautiful looking dog too. More pictures when you get some good ones and keep us updated with his progress.  :biggrin:

Oops we have a cocker for three days and now we want one.

We had a syndicate shoot yesterday, the Christmas shoot is always a bit more relaxed, some kids and partners in attendance.  Mary had charge of Milo to introduce him to the guns, beaters and dogs.  He was pretty excited but fortunately the dogs all got along with him, it's at close quarters in the gun bus or beater's wagon.

Mary stood back away from the shooting line with him on the lead.  He wasn't affected by the gun fire and was let off the lead after drives finished for a run around when it wouldn't affect other drives to be done.

On the penultimate drive I was peg #1 in a wood in which we'd created a new drive during the summer and this was it's first time being used. Mary and Milo came in with me and I asked Mary to let Milo off the lead should I manage to shoot any birds.  There were several woodcock put up and I managed to down one, Mary let Milo off the lead and the little star managed to find it and bring it back to her, I then shot a cock pheasant and he did the same.

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.  He was absolutely spark out when we got in, and stayed that way until his bedtime walk.

That's going to be his only trip to the shoot this season as his discipline to basic commands is patchy when there's something to distract him and I don't want an unruly dog, so there's the three of us to be educated. 
Exactly how i started with my dog. The inbred ability is just amazing.

The only difference is that no way is mine a peg dog. She loves me being a walking gun and flushing and retrieving. Sitting at a peg is purgatory for her presently. She's only two and a half, so will probably settle down over the next couple of seasons.

The only difference is that no way is mine a peg dog. She loves me being a walking gun and flushing and retrieving. Sitting at a peg is purgatory for her presently. She's only two and a half, so will probably settle down over the next couple of seasons.
I can sympathise with this statement.

I said exactly the same with my first dog. It took a litttle longer than I thought for him to settle down. In fact the first 13 years were worst. By 14 he had settled to the pace I required for him to be called steady. Sadly I lost him that same year.

My second dog was different. I trained him to be steady from the off. And he was the best dog ever. They always say you ruin your first one! The knowledge I acquired from training the first one, and realising his short-falls, led me to a completely different dog in the second.

When I get over losing the second one, I'll get my third. It's only been five years now, so long overdue. Maybe next year if the right one comes up???   :biggrin:  

dog work is so rewarding , don't rush him ,   train the basics  the boring stuff pays off in the long term  , my first dog black lab named scud  was a  cracker , I virtually trained him from a video called "the young Labrador " by stan Harvey     I know videos are old hat now  , if its on dvd  I highly recommend it .    enjoy  your new mate !

There's a standing joke between Labrador owners and Spaniel owners on most shoots I've worked on.

They say that Labradors are half trained when they're born, but the day you bury your Springer, it's still only half trained.

Having had both in the past, my next dog is going to be very Black and Labrador shaped!!!   :sarcastic: (Although my Springer was good, I just want an easier ride with the next one!).

My local shooting, stalking, optometrist, Mike Taylor, picked up a springer abandoned and tied to a beachfront bench seat in Teignmouth years ago on Boxing day that was never claimed so he took the pup on.

A bit nervy to start with he is a lovely dog, not put off by guns and now points to deer before Mike can see them come into view.  Called Cracker as an Xmas surprise!

Requires lots and lots and lots of exercise!

Latest posts

Back