MK38 as first gun - advice please!!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyc2

Hello

My first post on here, so hello to all...!

I'm looking for some guidance please re: my first gun purchase - I've had some conflicting views from more experienced shooters, and have done the usual web homework as much as I can, and I'm still a lttle confused over which gun to choose.

I've been shooting casually for some years, and have enjoyed it so much that I have decided to obtain my licence (got!) and take some tuition from my local shooting ground (West Midlands Shooting Ground), and I'm now at the stage where I believe I'm ready to buy my first gun. I THINK my shooting is likely to develop along the lines of English Sporting, but who knows how that position may change...?

At least there seems to be some consensus as to which gun makes sense as a first acquisition, and the gun that seems to be shouting at me is the Miroku MK38. That's the easy bit, but I'm hoping people can share their views regarding the different models available. Do I look for a "standard" MK38 - and if it has no additional designation, does that make it a "trap" version? Or do I look for a Sporter? Are teague chokes a desirable option, or do I stick with the vanilla versions? Is there a typical prefence (if such a thing exists) between the 30" and 32" barrels?

I know the obvious answer will be along the lines of "go out and shoot them all and see what you like the best" but it would be impossible to find demo guns that cover all of the permutations, which is why I'm reaching out for a bit of guidance and / or personal experience here. I'm also acutely aware that the above poses a very "noob" set of questions, so please go easy on me!

If it helps and is relevant, I'm 6 foot tall and a "robust" 14 stone.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

If you decide to shoot Sporting as your main discipline I am sure everyone will recommend 32" barrels, which would be ideal for the Trap disciplines also.

If you take lessons at WMSG the provided guns will be 30" most usually.

There are many club grounds around your area where many members will gladly allow you to shoot their guns, until such time that you have decided which make and model suits you.

I would say that by far the most commonly used guns amongst clayshooters are Beretta .

It is very important to take your time before deciding what to purchase, because guns do vary considerably in their build quality and handling characteristics.

A simple rule of thumb is that if learning to shoot with a Beretta , you may well find that shallow actioned guns such as most Italian made guns, Beretta, Guerini, Perazzi will be preferable.

Learning to shoot with Browning , Miroku, Winchester which have deeper action frames may well steer you towards those brands.

Novices may need to use open chokes and frankly 1/4 & 1/2 will tackle Sporting and Skeet .

But as I have said many times " Choke is a Devil's choice" and screws most shooters up . Don't get too engrossed in choke choice and changing.

In fact get a fixed choke and stick with it.

Cylinder and 1/4 or Improved choke will hit close targets and most Sporting targets . But 3/4 & Full will hit ALL targets if you point them correctly. :D

miroku shotguns are great value for money  , the mk38 sporter 30" barrels multichoked   second hand would fit the bill perfectly ,    are you right or left handed ?  and a adj comb is great for comb height .   

Gents,

Many thanks!

@ Salopian - yes, the guns I have been shooting at WMSG are 30" Berettas mainly - the (fantastic!) instructor I have been seeing there is a big fam of Berettas, almost (?) to the point of bias. And thanks for the comments about chokes..

There's a grade V MK38 for sale at WMSG which has caught my eye:

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Miroku_Shotgun_MK-38-Grade-5_For-Sale_140222095433001

I'd appreciate your comments - the chokes are 3/8 and 1/2

@ Dr Lecter - I'm right handed, and thanks for the comment re: adjustable comb - I will certainly keep that in mind...!

Thanks again.

Andy

If you've set your heart on a Miroku then either Trap or Sporter permutations are good enough bases to develop your skills and get used to them in time. I love most Miroku's myself but the vast majority of Trap versions will feature a rather thick, concave pad which apart from not being ideal for Skeet or ESP tend frankly not to be particularly good at their primary job of recoil absorption so although my own rather biased recommendation is to get yourself a 32" Trap gun perhaps choked 1/4 & 3/4 or multi if you get lucky, I will definitely say you should quickly make sure the pad situation is right from the beginning. 

To me that means getting a gun that is more Trappy stocked than low combed (so as to give a nice uninterrupted sight picture) and install a good pad such as a Sorbothane or Green Isis pad of around 18mm with the emphasis on the top being shaped such that it doesn't impede mounting, the gun also needs to weight at least 8lbs, preferably at least 8.5 or even a bit more - then just set about learning how to shoot targets close and far. 

Finally get in the habit of shooting with crowds who are better than you. 

Thanks Hamster

Further good advice, and much appreciated. So maybe the gun I've linked to above should be looked at further?

Finding crowds to shoot with who are better than me shouldn't be too difficult at the moment :smile:

Cheers.

Thanks Hamster

Further good advice, and much appreciated. So maybe the gun I've linked to above should be looked at further?

Finding crowds to shoot with who are better than me shouldn't be too difficult at the moment :smile:

Cheers.
That gun looks promising but I can't judge the comb/stock unless the whole gun can be seen, it's likely it has the original, rather dated pad. You'd be surprised how many people continue to shoot with the same crowd years on end without making any real progress other than a slow organic one early on, what I mean is to emphasise how important other unseen aspects of improvements are, it's not all about equipment or even coaching. 

A Miroku is a sound choice, solid and well made shot gun, if it feels right then generally you will shoot well with it. There is a sort of progression when you first start shooting, as you get better you will settle in to your own style that works for you, and upgrade to a gun that better suits your needs. You do need multi chokes and 30 or 32" barrels on a "Sporter" to start with, in my opinion which you can adapt to shoot any discipline at this early stage, most of all enjoy! 

I find the cheaper berettas to light and lively unless you can afford a dt10 I would go with miroku 32''. I rate teague chokes but choke same in both barrels keep it simple concentrate on targets and techniques

There is one for sale on pigeon watch. Adjustable comb and long teagues for stupid money.

Also one for sale on Hereford and Worcester Cpsa site. £750 with teagues.

I do not personally like multichokes, but they do make a gun very usable for all disciplines.

Cross Gun club Kinver ( Terry Hale) has a very nice Miroku for sale with Teagues for very sensible money.

Has as been said many many times you do not need a Grade 5 Miroku to  win, a Grade 1 is always good value for money.

I am embarrassed to admit, I have never tried a Miroku! I did handle Phil Easemans once and it felt very nose heavy, but one needs to acclimatise to a gun. I may be missing out..

Most Miroku's seem to be nose heavy Will mine included, until i put 6 ounces of lead in the stock, personal choice i guess, Matt Norris had a Miroku that felt very much like a Perazzi to me shame he sold before i had chance to bag it.

I bought a new Miroku Mk38 Gd 5 Teague Sporter last year after years of shooting Berettas, just to see if I could adapt to the change and see what all the fuss was about.

It's a lovely looking gun, well made but has it's drawbacks when you compare it to the Beretta range (That bloody Trap Door underneath!!!). My gun is a 32" and I have had to fit 9oz of lead into the stock hole just to get it to balance between my hands. It is so barrel heavy you would not believe, but I am comparing that to my Beretta which does have particularly light barrels and is only a 29 1/2", but has suited me for years.

I shot it through the whole of last year, but sadly it has got to go now. The overall weight is just too much for a sporter with so much being added. I have found it to be great on long targets, but they must be proper long ones, and a massive handicap on closer targets, particularly fast ones. It is hard to get it going, almost impossible to stop it to get quickly onto a second target, and if you are on a slightly wrong line or moving at an incorrect speed when leading a target, you can forget trying to adjust anything. Scores have suffered, not something that unduly worries me, but I do like to hit what I know I can hit without feeling handicapped, and I do feel that way shooting this Miroku.

I'll be changing it soon when I've sorted out a suitable replacement, which incidently is not going to be another Beretta as they have lost it in the quality control stakes for me with their 690 and 692 models.

Most Miroku's seem to be nose heavy Will mine included, until i put 6 ounces of lead in the stock, personal choice i guess, Matt Norris had a Miroku that felt very much like a Perazzi to me shame he sold before i had chance to bag it.
Sorry Shaun, had to use it for a trade in... Actually regret selling that gun, have another MK38 in a Sporter variety now, multi choked, not what I usually go for but thought I would give it a go. This one is nose heavy and I will probably add some weight to the stock at some point to balance it out.

John, 

I notice your comments with lots of interest !

It is fair to say that I like Miroku ! :D

I was very surprised by your comments and weight figures.

Here are my comments for comparison.

All 32" Grade 5 MK38

32" Fixed choke 8.4 lbs balance on hinge with no additional weight added.

3 more absolutely identical in every respect.

Another one

32" Teagued LONG (80mm) multichokes  8.6 lbs inclusive of  3 ozs in stock to balance on hinge pin

Ceasar Guerini Summit 8.5 lbs

Now I do not think that 8.5 lbs is personally too heavy for a Trap or Sporter. I am not particularly big and have no difficulty at all managing the ergonomics.

I was absolutely astonished when you said that you have 9ozs of lead to balance. Grade 5s usually have very dense wood .

I had a Mk38 Sporter with Teague chokes with very heavy barrels, compared to the trap gun, and I had to put weight in the stock as it was hollow compared to a trap stock. It had a very low comb too.

Not the best Miroku in my opinion, the trap version is a much better gun.

Thanks everybody for all of the replies and comments...

Because of the conflicting views, I'm not really sure if I am any further forward in my quest!!

Cheers

Andy

Back