ips does reloading

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first home load, quite pleased with it.

Cheditte 70mm case

Cheditte 209 (cx2000) primer

28gram lead shot no 6

21.64 grain vetan AS powder

IMG_20190312_170114.jpgIMG_20190312_190528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice but one has double cards so I assume that one is for second barrel, only one mind. Positive thinking there.  😇         I like the bulls as well. 

Phil

Are you sure that is the correct powder drop? It looks a lot to me . Please measure it .

Crimps could do with a bit more pressure also .

Philpot

Well spotted, i was experimenting with wad height to get a good crimp.

Martyn

Got 50 new cases just to try but have some once spent to load so we will see how they crimp

Salopian

I have checked and triple checked and checked again the load is correct. Its vectan AS there data for plas is 1.40g 21.64gr bloke i got em from said load fibre at 21g but can go up a bit if its too light, 5x drops multiple times average at 21.5g ish next powder bush down gives 20.7g. i think it looks a lot because its a flake powder.

Philpot

Well spotted, i was experimenting with wad height to get a good crimp.

Martyn

Got 50 new cases just to try but have some once spent to load so we will see how they crimp

Salopian

I have checked and triple checked and checked again the load is correct. Its vectan SC there data for plas is 1.35gram 20.83 g bloke i got em from said load fibre at 21g but can go up a bit if its too light, 5x drops multiple times average at 21.5g ish next powder bush down gives 20.7g. i think it looks a lot because its a flake powder.
Just to add, I had the same initial thought on the amount of power. 

You really need a good set of calibrated scales to check. 

Just to add, I had the same initial thought on the amount of power. 

You really need a good set of calibrated scales to check. 
Paul

I have jewelers digital scales with calibration weight. I have checked and checked again and drop is bang on. Also checked against a hull superfast and although powder probably different the height of powder load is no different 👍 just shot 3 of em and they go bang and gun and myself still in one piece 😁

Out of curiosity and to triple check my scales i dissected a hull superfast fibre. Research indicates 27g lead and 23.74gr of powder which some say is vectan AS but in a different form, it certainly is similar looking to vectan AS but not exact. Anyway having first calibrated my scales i weigh the components as follows.

Lead 27.06 gram

Powder 23.04 grain

This pic clearly shows that as i mentioned in previous reply my powder load is exact match to a super fast. My load on right 28g with 21.64gr of AS, Hull superfast on left with 23.04grain of whatever it is. The wad has been loaded with same pressure

IMG_20190315_101739.jpg

Ian just a thought, I have not been reloading for many years and I was thinking if I go back into reloading, I would want to get the loaded cartridges checked before using them. Now I may be wrong but I have a hunch that Clay and Game offer this service. Might be worth a look if you have doubts.

I keep looking at those Mec loaders again..................... This is all your fault having got me interested again 😩

Phil

Ian just a thought, I have not been reloading for many years and I was thinking if I go back into reloading, I would want to get the loaded cartridges checked before using them. Now I may be wrong but I have a hunch that Clay and Game offer this service. Might be worth a look if you have doubts.

I keep looking at those Mec loaders again..................... This is all your fault having got me interested again 😩

Phil
Phil, i have done lots of research on data and done lots of calculations and i am quite happy that the recipe is sound although i have only patterned it not shot a bird yet. Having said that i am stil trying to decide if i can drop the load from 21.64gr to 20.35gr as that is what my next size down powder bush will drop. 

The mec does look way better engineered than the Lee however i have been told they are no better and more to go wrong . 

PS

You cant blame me 😜

My two laps had Me c Grabbers and I had a Pacific, all were much higher production levels than the Loadall but never heard of any problems although of course trying to make them more cheaply could have adverse effects during ownership.

Still want one though.

Phil

My two laps had Me c Grabbers and I had a Pacific, all were much higher production levels than the Loadall but never heard of any problems although of course trying to make them more cheaply could have adverse effects during ownership.

Still want one though.

Phil
I want one too 😄

Off to northern shooting show in may so who knows what i come back with 😜

We will be there on the Saturday along with some of my air rifle shooting buddies from another forum. Perhaps see you there.
Whoo hoo. Definitely mate, meet for a brew. We are staying in caravan just outside harrogate and plan on going sat, will pm my mobile so we can tie up and drool over loading presses 😄

just outta curiosity how long does it take to do say 100 carts? and whats the relative saving against something like hull superfast?  

just outta curiosity how long does it take to do say 100 carts? and whats the relative saving against something like hull superfast?  
I havent done 100 yet but they reckon with a lee loader its 100 per hr possibly a bit more. No real saving unless your doing big loads such as 36g or doing .410 they reckon massive saving on .410 which is why my next gun will be .410

The mec does look way better engineered than the Lee however i have been told they are no better and more to go wrong . 
I used a MEC Grabber, my first shotshell loader, for a bit over two yrs and loaded +/-50K carts with it before I got the first Hornady 366.  A gent I know in Texas has been loading for several decades using only MEC's and he shoots LOTS and almost always his reloads.  If he's loaded less than a few million I'd eat the difference.  I've never heard a single complaint from him about them and when I asked him why he didn't get a more production oriented loader he simply replied, "Why?"   And  tho he is thrifty I'm quite certain that $ are not the issue.

Among US shooters the MEC's and the factory have a fine rep and I suspect that anyone that has problems with them likely struggles to understand how to use a can opener.

but they reckon with a lee loader its 100 per hr possibly a bit more.
That would be a finished reload every 36 seconds.  With the number of independent operations necessary my guess would be that the 100 number is wonderfully optimistic and likely worthy of some athletic admiration.  On the 366 with an evolved procedure involving BIG cart and wad bins and BIG powder and shot bottles I could cruise at one cart / 7-10seconds depending on my need to get it done with. 400/hr was doable but required some effort.

just sayin'

Latest posts

Back