Hatfield house game fair

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holianl

Will anyone be attending the game fair this weekend it's a 5 hour drive from me but I'm thinking of giving it a go. I think they have a 50 bird sporting layout also so I might even take my gun. 

Going on Friday and taking my gun.  Not been before so can't tell you what it's like.

thie game fair is taking over from th ecla game fair as the cla is now defunct. in the past they have been excellent and very large lots of walking thousands of guns loads of food and drink. plenty of  demos and good clay layouts  enjoy

Usual 'official' opening time is 9am.

But I always get there at more like 730 to beat the traffic -  car parks usually open by 7am. Then walk in (they will let you in around 8am) and have a leisurely breakfast or even take a stove and cook my own in the carpark.  As it is a 'new' venue, traffic management might be an issue......

I was planning to go by train this year as there is a mainline station close to the entrance. But family issues have put a stop to that. 

Gunmakers Row looks pretty good this year, judging by the list of stand holders. There is certainly plenty of clay shooting available. 

Fishing section (my first love) looks like a desert. 

Usual 'official' opening time is 9am.

But I always get there at more like 730 to beat the traffic -  car parks usually open by 7am. Then walk in (they will let you in around 8am) and have a leisurely breakfast or even take a stove and cook my own in the carpark.  As it is a 'new' venue, traffic management might be an issue......

I was planning to go by train this year as there is a mainline station close to the entrance. But family issues have put a stop to that. 

Gunmakers Row looks pretty good this year, judging by the list of stand holders. There is certainly plenty of clay shooting available. 

Fishing section (my first love) looks like a desert. 
Great, thanks, it's probably an hour from me so much before 9 is a bit uncivilised...

I've bought tickets for Sunday now as the Met' weather forecast is suggesting OK weather until about 4pm, will also get there pretty early to avoid the inevitable queues.

I went today, fortunately I was warned to take wellies as it was super muddy.  A great show, too much for one day, need to camp next time... some fabulous things to look at, a couple of good stalls too!....

Unfortunately I have found another gun that I need, although it's up for auction in sept..

Not quite as bad as Glastonbury but.....Plenty to see and would have liked to have had an extra afternoon to get my monies worth. Loved the BASC fast track entrance that was closed off. Tried to get through the other entrance with my card to be told "you need photo ID, passport or drivers licence". Right, as if that was going to happen!

Managed to avoid any big purchases but would have succumbed to a Browning if wasn't for the attitude of the guys on the try stand. Good work you saved me a fortune!

Defo better than last year apart from the mud but that's uk weather for you.

Also went on Sunday, mud appeared to be of Glastonbury epic proportions which did detract from the overall enjoyment of the show, it was evident that many visitors just got weary of slithering around in the glutinous slime.   It rains in the UK, a lot sometimes, it doesn't seem terribly hard to put down those temporary metal roadways (there were some but not enough), would make it better for vistors and vendors alike.

The Clay Line was a half-hearted effort compared with the days of the CLA where Pay 'n Clay enabled you to choose a stand with a gun you fancied a try with.  Yesterday's was a either something from Browning or a £20 stab by Churchill with a big queue, disappointing.

I left there around 3.30 and made it out of the premier car park, just, in a 4WD a lot of people, leaving later would not have fared as well I'm sure.

Oh well next years is at Ragley Hall, closer to home for me and I'll monitor the preceding weather more closely before deciding to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was V slidy at the show (fortunately a friend tipped me off on Saturday so had wellies) and getting out of the swamp , I mean car park was fun... my mud and snow tyres were very appreciated by myself a a lady in a Rav 4 I helped out..

We camped Thursday and Friday night, attended on the Friday only. In comparison to my only other big gamefair experience at harewood a few years back I thought it was excellent.

Campsite had plenty of space and facilities, no convenience store as for some reason the vendor left the site before it started so we bought food on the way in.

Stoney soil wasn't much good for holding tent pegs in when it came windy but there was a good atmosphere around all the same.

Tractor/trailer rides from the campsite running all day were handy and even though I hadn't brought my new basc card I was still allowed in with proof of membership email on my phone and ID so that was good.

50 sporting Clay line was decent though very expensive from what I'm used to in the north. Didn't shoot well but enjoyed the targets.

The challenge the greats stands were fun but very difficult, that's the point though I guess. Shot those at the end as a nasty migraine came on so struggled somewhat!

The rest of the show had plenty to see, lots of variety in the food stands, good gun dog displays at the KC arena and the other stands in general had a lot of variety.

I said to the Mrs it would be a mud bath if it rained though. You could feel the ground moving underneath as you walked even though it was dry on top. The traffic from vendors setting up must have really done some damage to the soil structure.

Overall though I very much enjoyed the event and will be going next year I Hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back