Guns/alcohol

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMG 63

My family and some friends went clay shooting yesterday(,4 guns used) and by the time we got back it was a mad rush to get out for a pre booked meal.Today was the main family party which saw me have 4 pints And A Sunday lunch,then back home 3 hours later,not driving.However as it was a lovely afternoon I took all 4 guns into the garden to clean them,now here's the point:- is this illegal?(as I would not be fit to drive) I only ask as my neighbor has the same views on guns as Piers Morgan.

many thanks

PMG

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the legality or otherwise I would have thought it hugely unwise to have anything to do with firearms after four pints "and a Sunday lunch".

Regardless of the legality or otherwise I would have thought it hugely unwise to have anything to do with firearms after four pints "and a Sunday lunch".
Fully take on board what your saying,

It never crossed my mind at the time as it only involved rods,rags and oil and no shells.

thanks 

PMG

I'm gonna say not illegal i did find this online section 12 may be a little out dated but i guess its still an active law:

Section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872 provides offence for being drunk with a loaded firearm; “Every person who is drunk while in charge on any highway or other public place of any carriage, horse, cattle, or steam engine, or who is drunk when in possession of any loaded firearms, may be apprehended, and shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding forty shillings, or in the discretion of the court to imprisonment for any term not exceeding one month”.

NOTE: Whilst the law prevents the police from prosecuting you for having an “unloaded” firearm in a public place, the police may conduct a suitability review where they believe you are intoxicated and deemed not to be in control. Each case must be taken on its merits and BASC advises never to over indulge.

Section 25 of the Firearm Act 1968 makes it an offence to; “Sell or transfer any firearm or ammunition to, or to repair, prove or test any firearm or ammunition for, another person whom he knows or has reasonable cause for believing to be drunk or of unsound mind”.

i'd have to agree.....whilst most likely not illegal.......its certainly a bad idea, especially if you have a neighbor who takes a very dim view of guns, if the police turn up because someone has seen you tinkering with guns and they smell booze on you then I cant imagine it will end well . 

If you have neighbours that are so 'anti gun', why antagonise them by displaying your guns regardless of the fact that you maybe Brahms,  or stone cold sober ? When I had the same problem (neighbours not drink !), I would take my guns in their slips into the garage, clean them, return them to their slips and take them back indoors.

And why clean them in the garden anyway after four pints when you have that type of person next door the less people see the better and you have broadcast it here to be read

After more than 8 pints your not going to clean the gun properly anyway :lol:

And why clean them in the garden anyway after four pints when you have that type of person next door the less people see the better and you have broadcast it here to be read
I normally clean them outside(I guess you are not married?) I have a private garden with a large wooden table surrounded by comfy chairs, perfect .

As for broadcasting it on here it seems I've been lucky as there no police or tv crews outside my house this morning 

I am married and they get cleaned on the kitchen table while i am waiting for my Sunday roast ;)

And i guess your garden is not that private if your neighbour can see in?

If when reassembling the gun/s you inadvertently point it in the direction of your neighbour and he takes a pic from his upstairs window or suchlike and reports you for it you will at best have a visit and some explaining to do.

The general idea as i understand it is to wherever possible keep your guns from view.

I normally clean them outside(I guess you are not married?) I have a private garden with a large wooden table surrounded by comfy chairs, perfect .

As for broadcasting it on here it seems I've been lucky as there no police or tv crews outside my house this morning 
I clean mine whilst watching TV in the living room and I am married and the female.

I vote for discretion. I don't think my neighbour is an anti as such, but I'd rather not give him any opportunity to prove me wrong. 

Back