Gun Reports In The News Again

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenPresley

Looks like another Gun Crime involving shotguns in some way.

I think the media is certainly on the war path and can't wait to get this into the public eye at the moment.

Any issue or crime now is in the news looks like it could be bad times ahead this year.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4100267/Lincolnshire-news-Gun-siege-OAP-Barry-Horspool-found-dead.html

Sounds like the old boy might have been depressed as he'd had a stroke two years ago, I'm amazed he was allowed to keep his guns though.

Er hem....... Boys.

Being disabled through a stroke or whatever is no reason to have your guns taken away. There has to be more to this story.

I have shot with many people who have severe disabilities and yet handle their shotguns in a totally safe way. There are several shooters who shoot from either a mobility scooter or a wheelchair, and you will also find them travelling abroad to compete in international events.

The fact that this man is disabled should not be connected with shotgun crime.

There was another tragic case this weekend of a shooting with an air rifle. 13yr old son of a US airforce generel or MG on secondment at Oxford Uni. Dead after shot to the temple (not clear yet if accident). Will not know about that because there is no inquest on members of overseas forces or their families.

I agree Nic, I never (intentionally) implied his disability was connected with the crime. Wheelchair-bound or not, shooting at coppers is not good behaviour and doesn't help the rest of us. As you say, there's bound to be more to this than meets the eye, especially with tabloid reporting

My comment related to the fact that he was left wheelchair bound after his stroke, and depression usually follows a stroke.

I know guys ....... But remember we do not want to upset any of the disabled shots on this forum.........many of whom can seriously kick ass.............wheels or not :))))) especially at trap events.

My comment related to the fact that he was left wheelchair bound after his stroke, and depression usually follows a stroke.
Equally depression usually follows my score from the EJChurchill Challenge when the handicap is know.

Handicaps come in all forms and they all have a similar depressing effect!

But that does not make us 'mad men'.

Equally depression usually follows my score from the EJChurchill Challenge when the handicap is know.

Handicaps come in all forms and they all have a similar depressing effect!

But that does not make us 'mad men'.
Genuine depression is a serious disability.

All depression is a serious disability. But depression does not make you dangerous with a shotgun.

Nope.......that alone is not a 'good reason' to remove guns or revoke a certificate.

Reading one report of the incident it does say that his licence was under review, and he feared he would loose his guns, so I'm right in saying he was depressed.

I read about this yesterday and immediately fired off an email to The Sun. Pointing out that we are in England and we don't have 'Cops', we have Policemen and Police Officers so could you please ask your ';hacks' & scribes' to use proper English language and correct grammar.

I await a reply and possibly an apology. I'm patient.

I know someone who was refused his sgc because he had depression when his wife left him, never got in any trouble
He needs a good brief then....because that is not lawful. :cool:

I know someone who was refused his sgc because he had depression when his wife left him, never got in any trouble
He needs a good brief then....because that is not lawful. :cool:
But surely if a Doctors report states that an individual is suicidal through depression, or is a manic depressive etc, would it be wise and lawful to grant, or allow a person to continue owning a SGC and or a FAC and guns???

For the last time.......medical tagging was not made a part of the Firearms Act after Cumbria.

No matter how depressed you are it does not make you a killer with a gun. Or a killer at all.

At the moment there is no reference to your doctor. Whether this will change only time will tell. However this is the tip of a very dangerous iceberg if it does, for our freedoms.

eg........look around your local clay shoot or straw balers and study the various types that shoot and how some people dress etc etc ........then ask a non-shooting person whether they would allow some of them to hold a licence :wink:

If we go down the route of what people look like or behave like.....it is a slippery slope. Looks do not mean anything. Equally someone who catches his wife with the milkman and goes to the doctor for prozac does not mean that he will be a gun risk..........people can be depressed without turning into a killer.

I am talking only about revocations and not about someone new applying for a gun.

One of the arguments that stopped medical tagging going forwards was that if it was to happen, then shotgun holders who fell into depressive states would then not go to the doctor for help because it would appear on a record. They thought that would be worse.

This is too technical a discussion to have on here.

Signing off this thread. :wink:

Back