Glasses for long sight.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds about right as my reading part is +2 on to my distance part.

Don't try to shoot with varifocals though as that really messes with your head
My reading prescription in right eye is well over 3 now! Find out more tomorrow, but I am sure vision is an issue with the shooting that has crept up on me. Same way as it did with reading years ago..

Was chatting to Shortlegs about Ed Lyons on Saturday, he was extremely complimentary and from his description of the tests he carried out seemed very shooting specific. I'm sure SL will be along at some point to give more detail, but I would say go see him and nip it in the bud early :)

Matt's right, I have a couple of pairs of the Steward glasses from Simon. I called him, had a chat, e-mailed my prescription to him and ordered 2 pairs, one brown for the sun, one yellow for poor light. They do the job! I didn't even need to see him, although I did need to get my focal point (?) measured by my regular optician. Simon sent the first pair for me to try, and once I'd approved them, he sent me the second pair. Job done.

Will, for info, I have a very poor left eye which I have to close when I shoot - both eyes open to pick up the target, shut left eye once aquired (or as I did on Sunday, close the wrong pigging eye!!). I'm blind as a bat without my specs so I wear them all the time, and had to go to verifocals a few years ago - the new glasses take a little getting used to because they aren't verifocal, so don't try to read in them! I also have a mild astigmatism and am colour blind, although the latter isn't really treatable, no matter what the snake doctors tell you!

No prescription to start with

As you get older your eyes start to go.my shooting glasses just have the distance part of my prescription in them.I cannot read my score card unless i put my varifocals on which also has my reading prescription in them.
I have a cheap pair of frames from our local optician (no specsavers or vision express) which have the distance part of my prescription only fitted. I also cant read a score card whilst wearing them, but I can see at good distances. The optician was quite interested when I told him why I needed them. My eye test showed that I would normally only require reading glasses on a regular basis, my long vision was such that without my shooting requirement no distance glasses would be required.

Not sure about the technicality but I am right shoulder left eye dominant, a small amount of deliberate out of focus has been included in the left lense.

I normally wear varifocals all the time, but for shooting I have distance prescription only inserts in TopGun shooting glasses so I can also change tints if need be.

Recently, the prescription insert frame cracked (it's only plastic). I e-mailed TopGun to ask how much it would be to get a new frame insert and they very kindly sent me one free, didn't even charge me for postage.

I think if you have specific eye problems then a visit to the likes of Ed Lyons is probably a good thing.

Just for standard prescription lenses then your normal distance vision should be fine and the options and choices are there wether new cheap frames,reglazed old frames that you like with tinted lens colour of your choice (yellow/brown/grey) or the wrapround with the insert.

All interesting and logical. Nothing contradictory to what I feel I need to do.

Cheers for the comments.

Hi CleverSC3 read your posts and i could say in someways had a similar problem in that my scores started to drop off and noticed that my vision was not what it was and have only shot without prescrition glasses upto now. my problem was I wasnt seeing a clear image of the clay when focusing on the target i would get like a ghost imange overlapping so to speak, I read NickyT post about Ed Lyons and just contacted him by email at first and discussed what I was experiencing, he offered some advice and then I booked to go and see him driving up from near swansea to his base in wolverhampton I was a bit unsure of what to expect but boy was it worth it very thorough examination testing peripheral vision as well as the usual tests and tried different lense colours to get optimum clarity as well as identifying a slight central vision issue all correct with his adjusting different lenses on to the very odd set of glasses you have to wear whilst looking at eye charts until you get a good result. he also gets you to mount your gun and takes a number of photos of you doing this to make sure everything is as it should be. Once he's happy with all that he then measures your glasses up so as to get the best dimensions for the prescription to be added to your lenses so you have optimum performance whilst your head is on the stock when shooting with the glasses. Ive had to have glasses for driving and watching tv with the same script as my shooting glasses which I can say has sorted things out. Ive been waiting for the new shooting glasses to arrive back from germany where they are produced and had a call from his office today to say they ahd just recieved then, they had been checked by Ed and all was fine, they then offered to send them to me to save my travelling back up to collect them but not to hesitate to arrange another appointment if there was anything out of order. Oh and was offered a reduced rate if wanting any other coloured lenses with script in if needed. all in all an excellent service provided. hope this may help but if you think it may be a long trip I would say it would be worth it . :) So shoot bay will shortly have a 3 lense set Hidef specs on for sale as new shooting glasses are in ranger frames.

I went for a practice mid week and tried my normal glasses that I use to do most things. (Not strong enough prescription for intense close work). The result was great clarity of image, but on crossers I was missing behind, which is logical because the clay looked bigger and closer. Another slight distraction was a clear image of the muzzle, which made me look at it.

So, my problem is that my immediate choice is to either wear my glasses and shoot with great clarity, but the whole scene is out of scale with what my brain is calibrated to; or to not wear prescription glasses and deal with a slight focus issue. I conclude that a halfway house is likely the future, so have ordered a mild version of my prescription in a set of Zeiss glasses.

I shot okay today (no visual issues) with no prescription glasses, but the light was very good.

I have 3 Zeiss ....could not get on with them at all. Did not like the fit. Seemed ok when buying, but hated them when shooting, the fit.....just did not do it for me.

For sale........any takers? Non prescription.

As for testing.....we have done this before Gerraint or Ed or others. All at a distance.

My take for what it is worth, if I started having problems.......is that I would go to Ed Lyons. I have been watching and reading about him in several areas (already experienced Gerraint on the British Shooting Study).

Ed is working a lot with shooters who all report back being very very happy with him......so enough said.

Admittedly, I am going for the simple answer at this stage. I believe I have a very straightforward - and not severe - issue. Any difficulties and Ed Lyons seems a daft one to miss visiting.

Get your correct prescription- it wont take long to adjust and you want to be able to see the clay as clearly as possible, I wouldnt think having a half useful prescription is any good...

Get your correct prescription- it wont take long to adjust and you want to be able to see the clay as clearly as possible, I wouldnt think having a half useful prescription is any good...
Talked it through with Simon Goldsmith.. It really is a big change with my `full` distance prescription, which I am using now to type this. I will get full `crispness` at over 10 feet, so in that sense it is a full prescription. With a much smaller scale-change to deal with. Its a smart compromise we feel.. Will let you know!

Back